Thread: Looking to get started

Question Looking to get started

I would like input on a entry level press and supplies. I will be loading .300Win, .250-3000, .270win, .300Savage, .338win, and some pistol mostly .44mag. I need help finding the right set up for me.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LOCALAK907 View Post
    I would like input on a entry level press and supplies. I will be loading .300Win, .250-3000, .270win, .300Savage, .338win, and some pistol mostly .44mag. I need help finding the right set up for me.
    Thanks.
    *** I bought a Lee Challenger reloading kit last year for like $150 new. Except for dies it has everything you could need and so far it preforms great for me. My hunting buddy and I have reloaded hundreds of 22/250 and thousands of .357 mag on it whithout a hich.

Emily

That's a good recommendation for a basic setup. I'd pick one caliber, probably your 44, and start with the dies and components for that. I'd spend a little extra for carbide dies to eliminate the need to lube cases, and I'd get 44 special rather than 44 mag dies. The 44 special dies can be backed off to load 44 mag, so you get "two" die sets in one.

I'd also focus on a decent mid-range practice load rather than absolute max for your 44. That will give you cheap practice while relieving you of the process of developing high pressure loads. I'm a fan of cast bullets and Unique powder in that role. You can use the Unique in both 44 mag and 44 special cases for your mid-range loads, too.

All that's on the KISS principle, while turning out something you'll shoot lots and absolutely enjoy. One caliber, basic components and simple loads. That's the surest route to addiction, which is where I'm trying to steer you.

Mostly, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'd get 44 special rather than 44 mag dies. The 44 special dies can be backed off to load 44 mag, so you get "two" die sets in one.
    Did you say that backwards? I never used anything but 44 mag dies to load both and I have not seen special only dies for years. Just took a quick look on MidwayUSA and all I saw was 44 special/mag dies sets.

I agree on all the rest of it. Lee kit is good and will serve well. I prefer RCBS presses with Lee dies myself but it's quite a bit more money and the Lee press works fine.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Ha!

I'm likely behind the times. Wouldn't be the first time, fur sure.

I bought my carbide 44 dies back in the 1970's, and then you had to buy the 44 special dies if you wanted one set to do both. If they've remedied that by relabeling the special dies for both and dropping the 44 mag-only dies, problem solved.

Makes sense to me, but I'm absolutely clueless when and if it happened.

Thanks for the "catch!"

You're getting good suggestions from others.

I'll make another suggestion to buy a kit...I started out with an RCBS reloading kit. Like the others it pretty much comes with every thing you need to get started. There are LOTS of additional bells and whistles that you can acquire later as you become addicted to reloading.

Brownbear's suggestion to start with one caliber is a good one. I also started with .44mag. Do get the carbide dies for it as recommended, and BTW Andy was right.

Doc

...Emily, it's great to see a woman handloading.

Default Hornady Dies

I have used RCBS dies for years and lately for my new calibers and for my progressive press I have been buying Hornady's w/ carbide resizing dies. I really like the bullet seating die. It aligns the bullet before the ram seats it.

I would suggest no matter which press you buy. Don't go whole hog on purchasing your dies. Try a few manufacturer's out to see which you prefer.

In addition. If you know a person that reloads see if they will let you help out. That way you can figure out what you like.

Regards

They're both decent starter setups. The deal breaker for me is the set of shell holders with the LEE kit. Have you priced those individually from RCBS? Add that savings onto the savings for the kit, and you're starting to put some real money in your pockets. While I've always "felt" that RCBS equipment is hurkier than LEE, I have to admit that I've never managed to break or wear out a LEE product.

Default Looks good

Either one looks good. I'm not a big fan of Lee but I think I would Choose the lee kit just because it seems to have more stuff you will use form now on. If you ever start loading you will be hooked so just plan on really "needing" more stuff to load with from now on.