Thread: Big Su boating/bear question

Default Big Su boating/bear question

I'm thinking about taking my dad's 22' boat up the big su for spring bear. I have heard that there are plenty of black bear up that way. Some people warn me that you have to know the channels or you can find nasty shallow spots. I have limited boating experience, and have never really done anything on the big su. If I stay in the main channel will I be ok? or is it really that bad? Is there a somewhat productive area on the big su, that a boating novice can get to? What about the Talkeetna? I've heard all kinds of stories about the bears being more abundant than squirrels up that way. Is that river able to be run by a novice?

What part of the Su ? I run airboat tours on the Su and see a few on the banks mainly in the fall,Sorry can not help you out on the main channel ,I own an airboat the less water the better
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Big Su is doable for a novice the Talkeetna is a lot more challenging without a good bit of experience.

Default response

Okay, I figured I can probably handle the main channels. For hunting I was thinking, set up and tent camp on some smaller channel. Does that sound like a productive way to find them in spring? Thanks by the way.

Run the sue for a bit before you head up to talkeetna. If you get into trouble on the talkeetna it get ungly fast. I learned alot on the sue being last summer was my frist time running a jet boat.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    I'm thinking about taking my dad's 22' boat up the big su for spring bear. I have heard that there are plenty of black bear up that way. Some people warn me that you have to know the channels or you can find nasty shallow spots. I have limited boating experience, and have never really done anything on the big su. If I stay in the main channel will I be ok? or is it really that bad? Is there a somewhat productive area on the big su, that a boating novice can get to? What about the Talkeetna? I've heard all kinds of stories about the bears being more abundant than squirrels up that way. Is that river able to be run by a novice?

The only bad thing about the Su is what part you run ,If its South of the bridge and you run into problems no one to help you .I'm lucky to see a dozen boats all summer and I run it everyday. Best to put in at Talkeetna and run up the Su that way. Lots of boats up and down there all summer.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

+1 to what Roger said.

If you launch at Talkeetna just watch out for the few sandbar's and shallow spots when you head towards the bridge out of the launch. Last year was my first time launching there and I won't forget where they are now..
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.