Thread: Tustumena Lake frozen?

Default Tustumena Lake frozen?

Does anyone here know how the ice is doing on the lake? I'm thinking of riding the snowmachines down to a friends cabin for the weekend. The lack of snowfall on the Kenai is killing me. Thanks.

standdup
    Soldotna

Default Ice on Tustumena

Due to lack of snow the refuge is still closed. Don't know about the ice conditions but since the refuge is still closed you can't get there (legally) anyway. Unless your buddy is lucky enough to be grandfathered in with a permit for an ATV the only way to get there now would required non-motorized transportation.
    Last time I rode up the lake shore on marginal snow I felt like a pinball in a pinball game. Lots of large rocks under the snow that I kept hitting with my skis and I turned around after a short ways.
    good luck
    CHRIS
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Open

As far as I've heard, the refuge is open as of the 26th.
    Grandfathered in with an ATV... 1st time I've heard of that.

Default Reguge open

I am glad to here that the Refuge is now open.
    Talking to some of the cabin owners on the lake a few years ago I found out that at one time the Refuge had issued ATV permits to those who had inholdings (private land) within the Refuge. They had to apply for these permits. At that time I was told the Refuge manager had decided not to issue any new permits and was considering not renewing any old ones.
    This was probably 5 years ago or maybe even earlier. The permits were used to access their cabins on years of low snowfall when boats,planes, and snowmachines were not feasible to access their property.
    My dads neighbor has a cabin up there and my dad also knows some of the other cabin owners But I can't remember the names of the people who we talked to about this. I remember we had ridden up their and met one of my dads friends and had coffee at his cabin near bear creek.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Great news!!!

Thanks, sayak. I was thinking that they may never open the refuge. Let's hope that we get some snow soon.

standdup

The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Default The lake

Was up Caribou hills today and you could see the lake pretty good. Part of the lake was ice and the other part was still open water. The west potion that had the ice on it had open spots on the middle of it. Also I ran into the refuge officers last weekend and they said only part of the refuge was open. witch is the caribou hills portion of the refuge. The rest is still closed.

Default Not so

Quote Originally Posted by mthayer View Post
    ... Also I ran into the refuge officers last weekend and they said only part of the refuge was open. witch is the caribou hills portion of the refuge. The rest is still closed.
    All the refuge is open except for the usual closed areas:

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks sayak. Good info....