Thread: keeping the water open

Default keeping the water open

The cold froze over some of the spots we like to hunt. A friend told me about using a deicer to keep the water open. Has anyone used these before. I found a boating website that sells em http://savvyboater.com/c-55-deicers-ice-eaters.aspx but i don't know if these are what he was talkin about. Any suggestions-recommendations??? He used one for his boat up north and said something similar may work...

we run 1-2 ice eaters depending on the size of our hole we want. We run them off a Honda generator in a special built room in our boat hide it's the quietest we have ever run. They work great leave em on all day the mallards and other large ducks will drop right in on top of them its like a big mallard machine.

You hunting in Alaska?

Once water starts to freeze the birds move out except for small park duck groups that find fresh water in town or near the flats were marshes and creeks enter the salt.

Ice eater is a popular brand. I think they make a 120V and 12V systems. You need a generator or a land line power source for the 120V system.

Old school guys at Reelfoot Lake build a rack and mount a small 5hp outboard on it to keep the water open all night. the gas can sits on top of the motor.

Some guys make their own electric ones out of old trolling motors, but lugging those batteries around in the cold can't be fun.