Thread: Avalanche training this weekend in Anchorage

Eagle River

Default Avalanche training this weekend in Anchorage

Just a reminder- The Alaska Avalanche School received a grant to do free training in several Alaska communities this year. They will be putting on a school this weekend in Anchorage. Saturday they have a lecture scheduled from 9am to 1pm on the APU campus. Sunday they have a field workshop up at Glen Alps 9a-1p and 1:30p-5:30p (Beacon, probe, shovel needed, snowshoes optional- they will accept people who don't have the gear and will share if necessary). As of yesterday they told me that they had room for more participants- we have a group signed up for it.

This is FREE, everyone! The lecture normally runs $30 and the workshop would be over $100 per person, so this is a great opportunity.

I don't work for them, I just think this is a great opportunity.

Info here:
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I went to the one in Valdez a couple of weekends ago. Definately worth the time, especially since it is completely free. They don't get in depth in to all the detailed science of snow pack analysis, but they teach you what you need to know to make smart decisions in the backountry.