Thread: Had to share

Talking Had to share

While it's not alaska bush flying, that is where I'm headed. I got my license today!! Some may remember my sharing that I had started and would like to thank all for the words of encouragment. It took me about a year to complete. Next on the plate is looking into starting and getting my IFR. Man what a feeling.

RMK

Default congrats

I remember when I got my ticket in 1985, and my dad said he was amazed someone could still afford to learn to fly. (the plane and instructor cost him $11 an hour at Merrill Field in the early 70s)

Jump forward to 2010. I am amazed that someone can still afford to learn to fly. (the plane and instructor cost me about $32 an hour in mid 80s) It takes a lot of determination, and a LOT of money to pull it off.

I also remember being told by many, it was a license to learn. That was a vast understatement. I look back now and I'm still amazed that a flight school would turn loose a kid with 20 hours in the book with one of their airplanes.

A few years back, I enrolled in the Medallion foundation, and was happy to see a lot of high time pilots in the class. I guess that's how they got to be high time. They never quit learning.

Good luck with your future flying endeavors.

I'm almost ashamed to tell you what instruction and aircraft rental cost back in the mid 50s. It wasn't much, though. My first airplane cost $1,400, but the last one I bought (in 1984) cost a total of $262,000.

But, ain't we havin' fun?

Default Keep going

Tboehm
    Congratulations you are no longer a groundling!

The license to learn is right on the money. I would suggest that after you finish your IFR you take an aerobatic flight with an emphasis on stalls and spins. For most pilots the first time they see a fully developed stall is when they arenít ready for it and it injures or kills them and wrecks the airplane. Your plane will talk to you before she stalls but you need to learn to listen. Just my $0.02

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Aerobatic training? That's the best advice you can give, for sure! If you really want to get a scare, buy the February, 2010, issue of "AOPA Flight Training." Between the silly recommendations about approaches to soft field landings and an incredibly frightening article on "stall simulation," you'll just cross your fingers for the upcoming collection of general aviation pilots.

Clearly, today['s instructors don't seem to know the difference between stall approaches and full stalls! They apparently don't remember how to make approaches, either. Sure as hell, they wouldn't last long in Alaska!!!

T - Congrats to you.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    While it's not alaska bush flying, that is where I'm headed. I got my license today!! Some may remember my sharing that I had started and would like to thank all for the words of encouragment. It took me about a year to complete. Next on the plate is looking into starting and getting my IFR. Man what a feeling.
    Excellent!! I remember when I got my license I had to stop at the grocery on the way home. I was so excited that when the check out girl made a small talk remark about the weather, I launched into a "well I'm a pilot so of course I know the weather" speech. Yeah, a pilot for all of 10 minutes
    How long was your check ride? Dick [the owner] at Aero Tech had me up for 2.4 hrs most under the hood. I thought it was never going to end.

Default thanks to everyone

Well the oral portion of the exam lasted 2 hours I thought that it would never end and I thought that I was doing ok but was happy to finally the words lets go flying!! The flying portion took a hour that seem to go by pretty fast but he put me through the paces to include 2 simulated engine failures. One of them was right after my turns around a point at 800 feet and took me all the way to 300'. I took my son up the very next day for my first flight as a new pilot

how much did it cost u to get were u are i was looking into a place in talkeetna 3 weeks and $10000 that was for like u said a licens to learn

RMK

Default Fun Stuff Awaits You

Isn't it fun now that you can take people with you? It beats the heck out of always going solo, or with that expensive CFI.

I remember my first passenger was my girlfriend. Her brother tried to offer her some sage advice by telling her she shouldn't go with me unless I had at least a couple hundred hours.

She made the mistake of asking me if I had at least "200 miles." With a straight face I said, "sure, I have thousands of miles."

Off we went. Forty-four hours in the book (and half of that was with an instructor), and I was hauling my first passenger.

It all worked out. Twenty-five years down the road we're married, and we even did that with the plane. We flew to Canada and got hitched. She didn't like the idea of the wedding being weather dependent, but it ended up being a CAVU day.

Thumbs up Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by RMK View Post
    Isn't it fun now that you can take people with you? It beats the heck out of always going solo, or with that expensive CFI.

I remember my first passenger was my girlfriend. Her brother tried to offer her some sage advice by telling her she shouldn't go with me unless I had at least a couple hundred hours.

She made the mistake of asking me if I had at least "200 miles." With a straight face I said, "sure, I have thousands of miles."

Off we went. Forty-four hours in the book (and half of that was with an instructor), and I was hauling my first passenger.

It all worked out. Twenty-five years down the road we're married, and we even did that with the plane. We flew to Canada and got hitched. She didn't like the idea of the wedding being weather dependent, but it ended up being a CAVU day.
    Now, that's romantic!

Wow Talk about a get out of jail free card!!!!

Sorry honey thereís low ceilings and freezing fog at our destination. Man if I tried that with my better half she would have told me to buy an IFR plane! What a woman.

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by akscotty View Post
    how much did it cost u to get were u are i was looking into a place in talkeetna 3 weeks and $10000 that was for like u said a licens to learn
    I'm almost afraid to add it all up. I don't think that I want to know I will say that I did all of my trainning in a 2006 cessna 172 with a G1000 that had a rental time of 135 per hour and the flight instructor was 30 a hour. It took me almost a year to complete with flying once to twice a week so it did take me a little longer. I had 2 time periods that lasted over a month in delaying, one of which was traveling to alaska to moose hunt in dillingham. Those couple of delays cost me in hours of make up time at what might be considered critical points in the trainning so it took me a little more than 60 hours. That equates to $9900.00.

RMK

Default Flying lessons and using the plane to elope

Hey Tboehm:

That's about average for time needed. Most people only fly a couple times a week, and end up with refresher time.

Location helps a lot as well. Some places you are in the training area as soon as you take off, and others you have to fly a while just to get there.

Congrats Tboehm!

Congrats to you...Hope to be there soon, currently doing Ground school right now in Palmer.

Congratulation!!! A day you are sure to not soon forget!