Thread: Alaska Air Cargo meat shipping?

Default Alaska Air Cargo meat shipping?

Hello,
    I will hopfully need to ship some moose meat and a huge rack from nome to SLC this season, About the only option I have found is Alaska Airlines cargo. Has anyone used this service for shipping meat and horns?
    Thanks

Yep, no issues shipping in state or to Helena or GreatFalls MT.

Do you have to crate the horns or are they OK with the garden hose over the points fix? I checked out there web site and got some contradicting info.
    You say no issues in Mt. I would assume that goes the same for Salt Lake City Utah? I am driving home to Wyoming from there.
    Thanks

Antlers been boxes or wrapped good. Meat in boxes less than 100lbs, as well as lots of fish over the years. I have no experiences with Utah.

I shiped a moose out with them last fall (FAI-ANC) and had no problems at all. Meat needs to be in a leak proof container. IE (Waxed Fishbox). When we were at the FAI frieght Facility, They were really giving a guy from Atlanta the run around. Some of which was probly due to poor planning on his part. He had shot a fantastic moose ( 74" and 6&6 brow tines)...At first they denied shipping due to him being a unknown shipper. So he spent half a day getting that resolved. Then it was the rack not "properly packed" for shipping. (The skull plate was wrapped in plastic and duct taped / points coved with hose) . I work in the Air Cargo division for a large airline and it looked accepable to me, But the Alaska agent was insistant that the rack be boxed for shipment. He then produced 2 flimsy 4x4 boxes that when we put the rack in produced nothing more than a large unwieldly mess. In my View unshipable. I finaly got the agent to compromise, And helped the guy cover the palms of the rack in cardboard. and duck taped in place. MORAL of the story Be prepared. You can go to Alaskacargo.com and get the form to fill out and send to TSA in advance to be come a know shipper. As far as the racks go...have plenty of cardboard, plastic, bubble wrap, duct tape and patience.

Default Try DELTA air cargo

I just reread your post and saw that you are going to SLC. We have a SLC non stop this summer, We are all hunter / fisherman here at cargo. And we'll treat you right and get you and your trophy home.

Default Alaska Airlines

Are you aware that Alaska Airlines just dropped their bags fees (when's the last time you heard of an airline lowering anything?). It makes the option of flying baggage a little better

50lb bags used to cost $15, $25, $50 respectively for the first 3, and $100/each for bags 4 - 10.

Now they are $20/each for the first 3 and $50/each for bags 4 - 10.

http://www.adn.com/2010/04/22/124560...sts-rules.html

RMK

Default A little more on "Delta" Cargo for moose.

Quote Originally Posted by CUBDRVR View Post
    I just reread your post and saw that you are going to SLC. We have a SLC non stop this summer, We are all hunter / fisherman here at cargo. And we'll treat you right and get you and your trophy home.

The "Delta" guys are probably the old Northwest guys, and they have a lot of experience in moving freight.

Delta (Northwest) has a giant cooler to keep your boxes in so they'll stay chilled during the shipping process.

Cub is on to something in terms of going to SLC. If you use Alaska, they will have to transfer them to another airline anyway. (Possible Delta) Cutting down on the number of legs, and the number of times it gets handled is always a good thing.

+1 for the Delta idea. Straight flight and coolers on both sides. 'sides cub and I can oogle over your antlers before they get loaded.

Default Shipping your trophies on Alaska Airlines

It's true that your best (and straightest) shot from ANC to SLC is on DL, however you still have to get your stuff from Nome (OME, in airline lingo) to ANC! That's the Alaska Airlines part of the deal.

You have two options when shipping antlers on Alaska Airlines: baggage or cargo. Here's the lowdown:

BAGGAGE
    You can check your antlers in as baggage, however they must meet the requirements for checked luggage. Essentially this means: no smell, no blood, no raw meat on the skull plate, etc. Antler tips must be protected to prevent damage to other luggage. Alaska prefers that the entire set of antlers also be enclosed in a poly bag, which should be contoured to fit the curve of the antlers (do this with duct tape). This allows other items to be stacked around the antlers in the belly of the aircraft. Finally they cannot be over 100 lbs. Alaska also uses a dimensional restriction, where the dimensional weight is calculated as width + height + length has to come out to less than 115. The dimensional requirement is going to be your biggest hurdle. If you are unclear on how to calculate this, call their cargo office at 1 (800) 225-2752.

You might consider splitting the antlers at the skull plate, nesting them together and wrapping them first in a plastic bag, then cardboard. It will go much easier for you this way, and the dimensional thing will be a non issue. Naturally if the antlers are to be considered for records book nomination, you cannot split them until after the requisite drying period and they are scored by an official measurer.

The cape is going to present some problems. My recommendation is to do a thorough job of fleshing and drying in the field. Most of these steps are covered in the Wilderness Taxidermy video series, but you should visit your taxidermist to confirm all the details. Fleshing and drying will reduce the weight of the cape dramatically. Once you get to OME, you'll want to shake out the salt, let it dry some more, and then put it in a plastic bag inside a fish box for shipping home. If it leaks at all, the airlines will not accept it. Get it to your taxidermist ASAP.

CARGO
    Alaska Airlines offers a special shipping program called Antler Express, which allows you to ship the antlers as a priority "Gold Rush" shipment without being a known shipper. The rate from OME to ANC is about $1.50 / lb. Once the antlers arrive in ANC, they are transferred to FedEx where they continue on to SLC at the rate of about $1.50 / lb (yes, this is a separate charge). You can read about the Antler Express program AT THIS LINK.

For reference, a 60" moose rack could weigh anywhere from 50 to 70 lbs. or so.

ANOTHER OPTION
    Many of my hunters just use a local expeditor in Anchorage for this stuff. Either go to Knight's Taxidermy or Alpha Fur Dressers. Ship your antlers and cape to them, they'll go through it all to ensure it was done correctly, they'll dry it all out for you, and ship it to your taxidermist for you. This is by far the least hassle of all the methods, and can be the least expensive, depending on how much work they have to do on your cape. BTW, if you ship your antlers and capes as cargo you have to be a known shipper. If you can meet those requirements, and you do go as cargo, both of the expeditors I mentioned will pick your stuff up at the airport in Anchorage for you, as long as you put their contact number on the air waybill when you ship it. Make sure you call them to confirm before you ship it.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

There is a guy trying to drum up interest in driving his big rig up to Alaska for his hunt and hauling meat and antlers south with him. I'm sure somebody knows where that topic is, and can link it here.

They were also discussing it on Pristine Ventures website. This might be right up your alley.

Here is the link to thread on Pristing Ventures. A little easier to find over there... 379 Peterbilt is the user name.
    http://www.pristineventures.com/cgi/...c,m=1267569972

RMK

Default Airline speak

Lots of good info there Mike. I hope to get to ADQ to deer hunt this year.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by RMK View Post
    Lots of good info there Mike. I hope to get to ADQ to deer hunt this year.
    NAC is the only answer for ADQ. I have dropped headed and gutted deer on pallets, wrapped in blue tarp and shipped to ANC for $29 per hundred pounds!

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    NAC is the only answer for ADQ. I have dropped headed and gutted deer on pallets, wrapped in blue tarp and shipped to ANC for $29 per hundred pounds!
    NAC is certainly easier, but Alaska Airlines serves the same route. Not sure if you meant they were the "preferred" answer or the "only" answer...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

hap

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    NAC is certainly easier, but Alaska Airlines serves the same route. Not sure if you meant they were the "preferred" answer or the "only" answer...

-Mike
    Given the price difference and the insistence on being a Known Shipper to ship by AA and your point is almost moot... But yes, you are correct, NAC is the preferred shipper, not the "only".

Both have freezer facilities, BTW.
    art

Default Everts Air Cargo, Nome to ANC

Everts Air Cargo is one of the primary cargo/freight/mail carriers flying between Nome and Anchorage. I suggest that you call and talk to them about back haul rates out of Nome.
    Depending on how much time you have in ANC, you may find that flying everything extra on EAC will save you a ton of money. Sure can't hurt to ask.
    Information can be found at:
    http://www.evertsair.com/
    click on the top right "AIR CARGO" and it will take you to contact info.

Default shipping meat home

Is it worth the trouble to become a known shipper with AA? Or are there agents that will ship the meat home at a reasonable price. We are going this year out of Tok with 40 mile air and anticipate having at least one moose too deal with and we live in Texas.

Thanks,

Mike Westvang
    Dryad Bows inc.

Unless NAC has fixed their freezer in ADQ (Kodiak) then Alaska Airlines and ERA are the only two with freezer capability. I shipped my deer back from Kodiak with ERA for the same price as NAC quoted me, but it was frozen..not sitting in NAC's non-functioning freezer.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem