Thread: Lots of Complaining from ME !

Default Lots of Complaining from ME !

I want to take an opportunity to come clean with all you guys on this forum. It may appear that I have been doing a lot of complaining and whining and may even appear as a negative individual. Some of you guys know me well and some of you guys merely know me from posts and stances on other posts. That is not who I am. So hear it is.

I love Alaska as much as many of you do and maybe more than some. I have ben very forunate to have harvested almost all animals that I have seeked while hunting up here. I attribute my success mostly to hard work and rive. When I came to Alaska in 1995 and asked guys "Wheres a good place to hunt moose?" the answers I got were "Inthe Woods!". I have assisted many friends in their first moose,bear and caribou and its a great feeling to be a part of that, just as I intend to share the same experience with my 9 year old son. This past year was my most unsuccessful year hunting and I did things totally different than I usually do, I spent a lot of money and experienced some really discouraging events. It has left a bad taste in my mouth and this forum has been a place to express those feelings. With their being so many non-res hunters and guides on this forum than there used to be, sometimes their responses just escalate the venting. Times are changing for sure and theres not a lot a fella can do about it or so it appears. So with that said i want to wish all of you (non-res and guides alike) a Happy new Year and that you should recieve all the tags you wish for in this coming coming year and or success you seek!

Cub

Default Thanks, Cub-

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I want to take an opportunity to come clean with all you guys on this forum. It may appear that I have been doing a lot of complaining and whining and may even appear as a negative individual. Some of you guys know me well and some of you guys merely know me from posts and stances on other posts. That is not who I am. So hear it is.

I love Alaska as much as many of you do and maybe more than some. I have ben very forunate to have harvested almost all animals that I have seeked while hunting up here. I attribute my success mostly to hard work and rive. When I came to Alaska in 1995 and asked guys "Wheres a good place to hunt moose?" the answers I got were "Inthe Woods!". I have assisted many friends in their first moose,bear and caribou and its a great feeling to be a part of that, just as I intend to share the same experience with my 9 year old son. This past year was my most unsuccessful year hunting and I did things totally different than I usually do, I spent a lot of money and experienced some really discouraging events. It has left a bad taste in my mouth and this forum has been a place to express those feelings. With their being so many non-res hunters and guides on this forum than there used to be, sometimes their responses just escalate the venting. Times are changing for sure and theres not a lot a fella can do about it or so it appears. So with that said i want to wish all of you (non-res and guides alike) a Happy new Year and that you should recieve all the tags you wish for in this coming coming year and or success you seek!

Cub
    Thanks for the post, and for the wishes of success. The last few years, my definition of success has changed a lot. In the past it meant killing the animal I was hunting. Now, it has more to do with helping someone else get one, either by providing good information here, or by direct assistance in the field. I have had many successful hunts without ever firing a shot.

I am sorry to hear of your bad experiences, and I hope that this next year brings restoration to you, in the feelings you have toward other hunters, guided or not, and to the many ethical commercial operators out there. We are not all crooks by a long shot, and I know you didn't really mean to imply that we were.

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default sayings

In the years I have lived in Alaska I have heard many 'sayings' .....

You know like ......

"Alaska where the Men are Men and the Women win the Iditarod"

And

"Alaska where you don't loose your Girlfriend (Wife) you just loose your turn"

Isn't there one that says

"Alaska where we agree to disagree and still get along"

Happy New Year to you AlaskaCub and all the other board members out there. May '07 be the best one yet!!!!!!

Thumbs up Thanks

AC:

One thing I do respect is that you don't hold anything back. I have have helped more then a few hunters, some being first timers in my home state of Washington. That brings alot of satisfaction to me, and it will continue to for many years. I am looking forward to my sheep hunt in 07. I have gotten some good advice, with you chiming in a time or two on equipment issues.
    I want everyone to know how thankfull I am for a first timer coming up to Alaska for the first time to get this kind of help. I beleive it it a privledge to hunt in another state, regardless of the draw odds or the price of tags. If I don't get my ram, I won't being whining on this board because you boys have given me all the advice and encouragement a guy could possibly ask for. If I can help anyone out on some Washington advice, please let me know. We have some killer roosevelt elk, but outside that, its average at best! lol

Happy New Year to all!!!

Bryan Flintoff
    Enumclaw, Wa

Cool I Feel Your Pain

I myself am a newbie here to Alaska and would have stayed put in Montana had it not been for all the outside (Out Of State) influences buying all the land and posting as well as trying to and succeeding with THIER agenda on making things the way it was where they came from.
    I have a wonderfull home that borders the Selway that I must sell as they have now started building and posting all around my little slice of heaven.
    Yes I will be moving up to Alaska as yet another transplant.
    No I don't want to change anything, Don't want to get in anybody's way, Just want to live in the sticks away from the hussle and bussle and enjoy the outdoors.
    I will be coming to this Alaska forum as well as a few others I have found and asking questions/advise from time to time on my passion for the outdoors. Don't want your hunting and fishing spots as I prefer to find my own. I will try and stay as far away from others as possible.
    If there was another place as open and wild has Alaska I would be there in a heartbeat. The sad fact is... This is it!
    So thats my story. I have been in your shoes over the last few years in Montana giving advice on hunting and fishing in Montana and am now being sqeezed out.
    The good thing is it will take more than my and your lifetime for Alaska to become another Montana, Idaho and Wyoming.
    Formerly Montana Bob

AlaskaCub,
    You have raised many valid points and brought awareness to many issues that otherwise may not have been addressed. In so doing you have voiced your frustration and your passion. Nothing wrong with. Bound to step on a few toes along the way.

FormerlyMontanaBob,

Welcome to Alaska! I moved here from Montana in 1991 from the Missoula area. There are lots of "formerly Montanans" up here. Lot of guys that came to work on the pipeline decided to stay or go back to Montana and then moved up as soon as they could. I know a few old timers who came up because Alaska reminded them of how Montana used to be. Where abouts in Alaska are you?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default One more thing-

Cub,

I did some checking on the situation you originally posted on and discovered that there may indeed be some problems over in the Wrangells (I know, no news to you!) I apologize for minimizing your situation. This is a serious matter indeed, that bears looking into by the authorities. I will continue to keep my ears open on this one.

Thank God that this appears to be an isolated situation.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Snyd,
    I am currently in Anchorage as a contractor for GCI, We are upgrading the cable systems from here to Wasilla. It's a 2 year project.
    The wife works for Halliburton and will be transfered to the slope here in the summer and we will start looking for our new piece of heaven up here.
    The good thing is we both work out of town and can live virtually anywhere we choose and will be looking for the more remote area's with little or no chance of growth with the small town life and attitude we enjoy.
    You have hit the nail on the head as far as looking for a place like Montana used to be.
    Happy Holidays to all

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default I would like to say..

That I do enjoy this forum a lot of the time and I do understand many of the feelings you guys have. It's tough when you try as hard as you can NOT to be part of the problem but are viewed that way. Believe me I hear plenty of griping about how Alaska has changed from my Grandfather it gets him so mad he can hardly talk about it. Despite the changes I hope to be a resident soon and then maybe I'll understand a little more what it's like. Anyway sorry to be so negative myself. Jesse

AKCub, Don't let one bad hunting season in the deeper bush discuorage you too much. Chalk that season to experience. This is just another component that makes Alaska the toughest hunt there is. Thats the way I'd like to see it stay. I don't want acess to the be easier for the hordes of hunters. That is what will further destroy the Alaska wild that many of us love and came here to experience.
    I think any man ought to passionate about his beliefs and willing to express them and even die for some. I have used this forum to express a different view. You mentioned that most you talk to agree with what your saying. I'm one who don't agree lock-step with everything you say. Hope you don't just want to hear from those who nod yes to you. Makes for a boring debate. I'm an old time Alaskan who has spent all of my adult work life here after discharge. I came here by choice to live life on the last frontier and I'm one who's against much further progress. Right or wrong ,just my opinion.

hang tough man, just imagine if you were a non resident and spent 17,000 for a bear hunt on the pen and saw a million tents, no bears and had a horrible trip! won't have to worry about seeing them back up hunting in alaska again!
    we all have some bad experiences with hunting, same with everthing i suppose, dont' always go perfect all the time and the off season is when everything reall seeths to the surface...but i've got the cure!!
    for christmas my wife got me cabela's big game adventures Alaska Edition, computer game...oh mannnn just lets the tension right out. its great, shot bears, muskox moose goats sheep wolves lynx and it. if your winter condition gets worse ya might wanna look into it. have a good new year

Thanks for understanding guys.

Chignik, I absolutely can respect your opinions and views as you are an Alaskan and sometimes guys like you and others help me see things in a different light.

Michael, the Wrangells isn't the only place with that going on,I could easily give you the name of another large drainage in unit 20 that I have been trying to get into for a while thats locked up the same way ( but only in a PM cuz I havent quit trying to figure out how to get in there). Its going on in more places than many of us would think.

Hey its winter and theirs some glumness in the air, but in just a few short months things will start greening and life comes back to the earth, heck we are already on the home stretch as we gain a little more sunlight each and every day, this next year is gonna be a good one, I can feel it!

Default alaskacub

sent u a PM<

Default Hey Roland

Roland,

The sun dropped behind the horizon here just before thanksgiving and I won't see it again until the end of January. Cold and dark...I know it's getting to me, always does. Appreciate your post here about things. Times are changing, but there are things we can do about it if we work at it constructively and use common sense rather than emotion, and don't paint every group with too broad a brush.

Gotta get out on the line today, -2 here and blowing 20-30 knots with this latest storm. Oddly, the clouds blew over last night, dropped no snow, and it's clear. Gonna be colder that a witch's you-know-what out there today. Hey, I'm going into the hills...I wonder if I'll get high enough to see the sun? Take 'er easy,

I was expecting to read a post about complaining from Maine.

Default New thoughts from someone new

I am new to this but just couldn't keep it bottled up any more. Will probably cause a stir but I'll take the heat. The gas line project has brought to my attention the answer that most Alaskans are looking for in regards to non-res competion in hunting. Alaskas' constitution states that the states resources are to be used for the most benefit of Alaskans. Not that I am looking to deny anyone a chance to hunt our great state but if there is any question as to preference, BOG is constitutionally mandated to provide for the people of the state. If they continue some of their practices our Attorney General needs to set them straight as to what their job is. Alaskans come first, if a surplus is deemed by biologists ,then and only then, do non-res get a chance.
    On another topic, Pepple Beach Mine. My own personal feeling is that behind most of the objections is a large group of "lodge owners, guides-hunting and fishing,outfitters,air taxis" do not want the road to be built. If the road was to be built then they wouldnt be able to charge such inflated prices. A small group of people with lots of money are trying to influence opinions not for enviromental reasons but for monetary ones. In my mind this would open all whole new area to Alaskan sportsmen that have never been able to afford to see or use.

if we built more roads for access, we might as well hand out food and tents at the start if it. it we're gonna cater to hunters in this state lets go all the way. I can't belive that alaska hunters would (might) want more opportunies handed to them to make it easier and cheaper. what happen to the lure of hunting alaska's back country, the adventure it used to be, its turning into a quick fix to get outa the house, run down the road and fouwheeler out on a trail, with every one else. we can't destroy more habitat in order to get our cheaper kicks in. thats how we end up looking back and saying man, look at all these trails and garbage, i wish there was somewhere i could hunt to get away from it all.
    This is alaska, this is a paradise to those willing to float the buck, do the research and create the time for it. its not a state that should be geared around the weekend warrior, that would be the other ones down south east of hear where its actually logical to drive out and hike in for three days and be affordable.
    I would be curious to know how many folks in here are in favor of more roads for hunting opportunies and how long that person has lived in alaska and by that i don't mean anchorage...i mean alaska.

BRWNBR

As a resident of small town Glennallen, for the past 26 years I do have some experience with the road system as well as the "hunters" who use them. I dont own atv or a motorhome so maybe I'm not a true subsistence user, but I do depend on every ounce of meat I am able to collect. I was not saying more roads are the answer just dont want lobbying groups protecting their investment in the name of the enviroment. I dont have the answers just, throwing out ideas. I personally winter hunt for most of my meat to stay away from crowds or save for a couple of years to afford to fly somewhere out of the way. Having some more room to spread everyone out might not be a bad idea. It would be nice to flyfish for some of those world class rainbows without spending a couple of grand. Just ideas!

hey man i understand where your comging from . i used to live in glennallen as well. and some other places.
    my biggest fear is making more room for people to spread out will only encourage more, with alaska filling up, not sure how much of that you see there in the glenn, but over this way in the mat valley its bad, with ak filing up, more room will only get filled up as well.
    but yes, i dont' dont' think using the enviroment card is a very healthy way to get your jobs done or have it do your dirty work. if it is guides that are doing it, i'd guess its more of the fishing outfitts than the hunting. i think pepple would only effect a couple of guides.
    oh ya if you want some hot fly fishing for rainbows send me a pm i've got a spot up in the talkeetnas i used to guide at.....gooooood fishing. no road either! enjoy the cold spot and the new year!