Thread: Tuesday morning hunt north of anchor town, any ideas?

Default Tuesday morning hunt north of anchor town, any ideas?

I'm driving back to fairbanks (HOme) from anchorage on tuesday and would like to find some critters to shoot & eat while I'm coming back.
    I'm not asking for anyone's sweet spot, I have just never hunted outside of interior alaska!

I figure i'd have half a day to kill and wouldn't mind getting into some birds or bunnies.

I could tag along if there's already plans for something like that.

Any help or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated!

I have a tom-tom so getting lost close to the road shouldn't be an issue.

How you getting home? Taking the Parks or the Glenn? Lots of places to stop on both but if I was going on a leisurely drive it would be the Glenn with several stops along the way just to kick around off the road a bit.

hadn't really considered the Glenn but would if I knew of some places to look. Roll Tide! I'm just trying to decide what to bring. Also, if I had some areas in mind i could review the regs for that unit as far as bag limits are concerned. I'll be in a 4x4 but also by my self so I'd like to stick to driving on primary and secondary roads but I'm willing to walk a bit, you know stretch my legs from the driving...

Going the Glenn will add a few hours to the drive, which isn't worth the loss of hunting time in my opinion. I would stop at multiple places along the way and look for hare tracks. I don't know the status of Cantwell right now, but a couple of years ago I saw a TON of hares up there. It might be worth a look in the 30 or so miles on both sides of Cantwell. You might also get into some ptarmigan up there just past the igloo, so that would make busting some brush potentially doubly productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Going the Glenn will add a few hours to the drive, which isn't worth the loss of hunting time in my opinion. I would stop at multiple places along the way and look for hare tracks. I don't know the status of Cantwell right now, but a couple of years ago I saw a TON of hares up there. It might be worth a look in the 30 or so miles on both sides of Cantwell. You might also get into some ptarmigan up there just past the igloo, so that would make busting some brush potentially doubly productive.
    Your probably right on that, I was going to suggest the grouse preserve up by delta and some glassing near Paxon but with the short daylight that wouldn't leave much if any time for hunting. I forget that you guys are still in winter over there and it's dark!

so, 1)look south of cantwell a few miles 13e
    2)cruise down the Denali hwy a bit. 13e
    and,
    3)a few miles north of cantwell in 20a

Is there Native owned land in that area? will it be easily recognizeable as I don't have explicit permission. I don't want to step on any toes.

Watch carefully for private land, There is a BUNCH of it posted along with the native land. You'll also have to watch out for the park boundaries as well.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

The first portion of the Denali Hwy is all native land. I don't know but would imagine it is unlikely you will be able to get past the native land in a hwy vehicle this time of year.

Most of the Parks Hwy around Cantwell is Native land also.

http://www.ahtna-inc.com/images/cantwell.jpg
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!