Thread: Can Wolverines be called in?

Default Can Wolverines be called in?

As the title states, I'm curious if a Wolverine can be called in with predator calls such as a rabbit in distress or a squeeker?
    Thanks, Mike

It can be done according to those who have done it. Rick Kinmon talks about Wolverines in his book. I know a guide who gets some every year as well. The only problem is finding one and getting within earshot of them to hear your call. They have a massive range and live in some of the nastiest, hardest to travel country around.

They do respond to a call. I've called them within range for clients, but it was only after we saw them first. You might be in for a wait if you don't know whether they are in the area.

I see there tracks all over sheep country in the winter. I wonder if a guy couldn't call them in with a lamb sound of some sort?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default This one came to a deer bleat

After blowing on a deer bleat for a while in a meadow this one came boldly into the meadow looking around, I had moved on and cut wolverine tracks about five minutes away. My partner stayed in the meadow and shot him with a 22-250.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0724.jpg   IMG_0725.jpg  

Nice one. Bet it was exciting to see.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default That is so cool..

I have seen them a few times in the wild and never even entertained calling them..
    2 years ago I was in the VMax hill area headed up to lost lake.
    I was waiting for my son to catch up so I stopped my machine and was looking up at the rocks and such sticking out above. I heard some ptarmagin calling and then saw some flush,,,
    I looked and saw the tracks in the snow right up along those rocks of a woverine..
    I looked and looked but could not see him..
    moved the snowmachine up the trail about 1/4 mile and could not see where the tracks came out of the snow and rocks,
    Then I saw him,, for just a second, and he climbed right over the top of that cliff and out of sight..
    he wanted no part of me and my noisy machine..
    I have seen a few others at times, such as once on the Mulchatna river, it was busy digging up ground squirrels, and once clear down near the cinder river.. could have probably called them If I would have been savy enough.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I see there tracks all over sheep country in the winter. I wonder if a guy couldn't call them in with a lamb sound of some sort?
    I plan on trying that very trick this fall. Have a squeaker to use also. Not many deer around where I've been spotting Gullo for a couple of years now. Have seen them running off from goat carcasses.
    Not sure what to try for long distance though.
    Do wolves have an invitation-to-dinner call ?

Default mouse

i called in two at the same time last year with a mouse squeaker.

Yes they can be called in. I've only tried to call in a wolverine once and I had seen it first. He came in quickly and easily. Calling one in doesn't make me an expert but because of their attitudes and feeding habits I would think they would be one of the easiest critters out there to call in, if one was within hearing range. I've spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours, predator calling in Alaska and have never blind called in one but most of my calling has been in areas where I wouldn't expect a wolverine.