Thread: Does anyone have a good link for a

Default Does anyone have a good link for a

Does anyone have a good link to a web site that shows rain catchment systems, designs and dimensions? Or could someone PM me with blueprints or schematics. I'd really appreciate it.
    Grits

I live on the road system but out of town where water is provided by the city. I built my rain catchment system into my foundation. It is roughly 12' x 25' x 5'. I used 8" concrete walls with lot's of rebar. I ran my downspouts directly into my tank and use double nylon stockings over the end of my downspouts to do pre-filtering as it dumps into my tank.

I cemented into the floor of the tank a 4" ABS elbow with a drain pipe under the foundation and footings leading away from the house.

I then installed a 4" stand pipe into the elbow for an overflow pipe, I did not glue this in, but used grease on the pipe joint to seal it, that way I can remove the stand pipe to clean and wash the tank out. The tank or piping has never leaked. I ended up with about 10,000 gallon usable tank.

Default Maybe a dumb question

What do you use this water for?

I don't have specific links but just google it. There is a lot of info out there. One of the biggest concerns is keeping the crap that invariably lands on your roof from ending up in your cistern.

Default Tank system

Grits, I run 2500 gallon tanks off the roofs of my cabins. The water just runs through run of the mill gutters with a downspout directly into my tank. I use a regular funnel with a filter over the downspout to filter roof nasties.

Tank is a commercial tank black poly. Pump and pressure tank and filter system then run into the main water supplies for the cabins. Water is great although I have to buy water from the city at times of drought.

I probably have a few thousand into the total system.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Thanks guys! The reason I asked is because I was wondering if there is a way to incorporate a microhydro generator into the water supply system by using the supplyline as a penstock?
    I imagine I will need to put a catchment system in for supplying water to my cabin, so I am trying to be as thoughtful as possible about how I fab my systems. I am actually in the process of getting my degree in wind turbine technology and have hydraulics this semester, so I'm thinking "If I can get my money's worth from the lab fees I'm paying, then good for me".
    I am trying to flesh out the truths of "open-flow" as opposed to penstock/gravity tank. If it's true that I can only achieve 1 psi per 27 inches of head regardless of supplyline Dia., then my idea may not work in a catchment system (unless I can gear the microturbine and produce enough psi to create more juice than the pup/nozzle is drawing off the first stage)
    Anyway, I'm sure someone has already thought through all this stuff and I am just missing the memo, but it won't hurt to try to work out the issues as I draw up my plans... as long as I keep up a steady intake of tylenol.

I love my wife, and it is only because of the humor value that I am going to share this.
    1st let me say that she is being a great sport about getting at least a part time place up in alaska. She really is not a fan of soggy weather, so this is a great accession she is making for our family.
    Anyway, I was explaining to her that a lot of folks capture rainwater to use as their household water supply because the water districts are few and far between in rural alaska and because (as is the case on POW Isl) there is mostly bedrock under the topsoil, so wells are not very feasible. That is why I am starting to draw up plans for a water catchment and resevoir for our cabin.
    That's nuts!" she say's..... "How does anyone water their lawn up there?". It was about this time that I accidently blew Mountain Dew out of my nose. I couldn't think of anything to say and my sinus' were stinging badly anyway. Then she smiled at me as the lightbulb got brighter and said "Oh, I guess if it rains enough to supply the housewater, then watering the lawn is probably not going to be an issue".
    What a character!

What's a lawn?

As far as generating electricity from rainwater flowing off the roof of your house, I think you are going to find it isn't going to be very much (unless you have a really tall house and a HUGE roof).

Water pressure is dependent on height - doesn't matter how big the diameter of the pipe is. And yes, about 1 psi for every 27 inches in height.

Shoot! OK, well, I guess I'll just have to give up that little pipe dream. Does anyone use renewable energy up there? I can't imagine solar panels are a big seller in SE Alaska.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not Mr. Eco Green, I'm just cheap and don't like the prospect of constantly filling the gas tank on the GenSet. I don't want to restrict my property choices because I need a windy lot for a wind turbine, either.