Thread: Winchester 70 conversion

Default Winchester 70 conversion

How hard would it be to take a new Winchester 70 Extreme Weather in .300 or .338 Win Mag and convert it to .375 Ruger? Is it as simple as rebarreling it, or would the magazine need to be altered in any way? Anything else? Just curious because I already have dies and brass for the .375 Ruger from my short time of owning the Hawkeye Alaskan. I am in need (read want) of a GOOD .375. I think this conversion, with a good quality, stainless 23 inch barrel and good open sights would be one heckuva general purpose Alaska/Africa rifle.

As a side note, has anyone shot any 350 grain Woodleighs out of a .375 Ruger? Just curious about them.

In theory the conversion should be as simple as a new barrel. I recently purchased a Ruger 300 Win Mag and plan on having it rebarreled to 416 Ruger. When comparing the action and magazine demensions on the 300 Win Mag to a Ruger 375 I own they appear to be identical.
    It might require some minor tweaking on the feeding.
    One thing I would do first it to make sure the magazine will hold three Ruger 375's down before proceeding.
    If all goes well the action should be glassed afterwards and at least one or two cross pins added to the stock.

In reguards to the 350's. Believe Phil Shoemaker reported on using these over on the AR forum and in his opinion (and his daughters who is also a guide) they didnt notice any differences over using 300 grain bullets.
    Tennessee

I know this isn't exactly on the subject, but I noticed that Howa is now chambering in 375 Ruger in both a compete rifle and a barreled action.

I'm sensing another project idea in my future.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

I didn't realize Howa was making a .375. Funny, because I had actually considered doing the same thing with a Weatherby Vanguard. Guess they beat me to it.

Yep. Here's the link.
    http://www.legacysports.com/products..._375ruger.html

I'll try to get more info soon.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com