Thread: Big wheels?

Default Big wheels?

I recently bought a newer sled to replace my old 95 700 ZR. It's a 2001 600 ZR. When I was talking to the P/O he was making a big deal about having put a Big Wheel Kit on it. WhenI asked him just what was the big deal on having larger wheels on the slides, he said he didn't know but that all his buddies had done it so he had to have them too. The only thing I can see that it does is make it harder to remove and install the suspension from the sled, even with the track all the way loosened. Sooo my question is other than to make the sled harder to work on, just what good is a "Big Wheel kit"? Anybody out there know?

From Snowmobile.com -

Big wheel kits help reduce the rolling resistance of the track and are a good idea for any type of snowmobile. When the track starts to ratchet, a big wheel kit can eliminate slippage without requiring you to tighten the track this increases rolling resistance and robs power from the sled.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

They'll add to your status in the coffee shop parking lot.

The bigger the diameter the driver or rear wheel is, the easier the track will spin. Less track resistance=more efficient

If the driver is bigger, it would let you run a looser track, but if your talking the rear wheels, they would have no effect on track tension requirements. Your right it will be a little more difficult to remove the suspension. Just pull the bolts and tip the sled on its side and then remove the suspension.

Are the big wheels billet aluminum? They are a weakness if you do any hard jumps or hard landings. Take a look at how many of those big wheels kits fail (the wheels split or the cheap bearings fail) when you are out in the boonies and you have to tow the sled out. Factory wheels will outlast most kits.

ya if they were so good they would come on it from the factoy, you think these dumb kids know how to reinvent the wheel? there has been allot of R&D by engineers to make the snowmachine the best it can be and most reliable also from arctic cat..

the pimply faced teenager knows nothing about engineering and makes stupid choices..

take them off sell them to another pimple faced teenager, get your self some stock wheels.. make money off the so called big wheels. go out and ride feeling more confident you will make i back.
    Semper Fi!

I don't think I would give the factory that much credit

Default Thank you

Thank you to everybody that replied. As for this kit it is just the back wheels and he also had the same wheels on the front of the slides, as for the drivers they are stock. They seen to be made out of a material that is like the stuff they make slides out of. And of course the bearings are all junk. I mean they still roll and don't make any noise when you turn them but when you have them off and spin them in your hand you can "feel" the rough spots. While they probably won't fail I really don't like the idea of a wheel falling off when I am out on the trail trying to do mach 6. I have been looking at the wheels on my ol' 700 though and I think they should bolt right up which would be great as I had just installed new bearings and the little plastic inserts before dry rot on the carb flanges killed her(after 14 years,never though if that). At least I know what the kid put them on there for... Bragging rights at the local pub," I got a Big Wheel Kit on mine!"

Quote Originally Posted by goosepilot View Post
    I don't think I would give the factory that much credit

so you think the kid improved the sled over the factory specs? who do you have more confidence in, arctic cat or pimple face?
    Semper Fi!

It doesn't take a hole lot to make some improvements. I'ld still take my chassis I built 10 years ago over a new m cat one. I'ld still take one of Mark's Crazy Mountain Extreme sled's over a factory sled. I'ld take a custom rock crawler over a stock Jeep, I'ld take a turbine Air Tractor over a super cub for spraying.................

Quote Originally Posted by goosepilot View Post
    It doesn't take a hole lot to make some improvements. I'ld still take my chassis I built 10 years ago over a new m cat one. I'ld still take one of Mark's Crazy Mountain Extreme sled's over a factory sled. I'ld take a custom rock crawler over a stock Jeep, I'ld take a turbine Air Tractor over a super cub for spraying.................

so how is this reinforcing your point that some pimply faced kid got some chrome wheels of ebay and bolted them on his snowmachine and sold it? i have no confidence this is an improvement over stock. R&D is R&D the hours dont lie.
    Semper Fi!

Grey, no one is trying to pick a fight here! There are a LOT of aftermarket parts that are considerably better than what the factory uses. Big rear wheels do have a purpose and do help performance. For 90% of riders out there they won't see the difference. It is the 10% of guys who get every last pony out of their machines that know what these add on's are worth.

The factories are notorious for not making slight improvements simply because they would cost too much. Plus, many times they offer their own upgrades. They make a LOT of money this way. If the machines were top performers right out of the box, less people would spend money on upgraded parts/pieces.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

no fighting here just discussing, i agree to a point, but these kids just buy these parts most the time because of the "looks" of the parts. you know kinda like them cellphone covers that make their phones colored or flash..

i refuse to buy a snowmachine most the time that is anything but stock, due to the reliability woudl be questionable.
    Semper Fi!

Grey, ever do any upgrading to one of your cars.....

And yeah, I'd hate to buy a sled with reasonable upgrades like upgraded shocks, an aftermarket can to shed weight, rail braces, etc....

You gotta admit though, said 'pimple faced teenagers' might be just better off playing video games then wrenching on their sled and enjoying ownership in a piece of equipment

Default No fight here either

Yea I let a little of my smart ***** out on #7, but was somewhat serious as well. Akmud said what I was thinking. That particular pimple faced kid that couldn't explain why didn't have a clue and probably was the reason for premature breakage, and I am one of those factory statistically insignificant 10% or less types. I learned from some of Cats main R&D guys that if you race a stock sled it gets torn down completely and then rebuilt right. Lots of little things that add up to being lighter or more efficient, and more durable. If you want the ultimate, you build it nearly entirely yourself.

So, Greythorn, besides your vintage AC 1980 do you even have experience with the newer machines, let alone a big wheel kit on a modern sled? Seriously, can you compare the two for us? Seriously! I know you like to throw out the pimply faced kid card, but common, do you actually have experience with this stuff?

You like to run your mouth but I seriously wonder if you actually have any first hand knowledge to back this up?

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    So, Greythorn, besides your vintage AC 1980 do you even have experience with the newer machines, let alone a big wheel kit on a modern sled? Seriously, can you compare the two for us? Seriously! I know you like to throw out the pimply faced kid card, but common, do you actually have experience with this stuff?

You like to run your mouth but I seriously wonder if you actually have any first hand knowledge to back this up?

you know it! stop stiring the pot.
    Semper Fi!

Just so you guys know there was nothing that was broken on this newer sled that I bought from this kid (2001 600ZR EFI) The work that he had done on it was pretty shaky... loose bolts,springs put on upside down and such, but I looked at it when I bought it I knew there was nothing that I could not fix and that it wouldn't cost to much to do so. Besides the main thing I wanted was the EFI setup which was stock anyway so anything else on the sled was just fluff. The reason I asked was that he had made such a big deal about the Big Wheel kit when we were discussing the price(no I didn't pay any extra above what I wanted) I just wanted to see if I really had got something special. As for my 95 700ZR that sled had what "I" considered the best of the best on it for that year. I had upgraded the rear suspension for more travel, had ThunderCat springs on the front, had the Fox shocks re-valved for a better ride. And of course the engine had reeds and a can on the exhaust. I sure did love the sound of the can and those twin pipes, I'll miss that. Because I have been a wrench and in that field for over 30 years (big stuff dozers,graders, etc) I have always done the work myself, and yes I am STILL kicking myself for not thinking about dry rot on those carb flanges. But the price of repairing what I have ($500.00 to $600.00) it just made sense to throw in another grand and get something that has an inherently better ride and has EFI.

I am in no way stiring the pot. What I am asking for is your credentials in the matter! I think you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, please prove me wrong. I know little to nothing about big wheel kits but I'd like to learn. I'm trying to sift the BS from the facts.

Shall we discuss rocket science next?

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post

you know it! stop stiring the pot.