Thread: Benchrest rifle and caliber

Default Benchrest rifle and caliber

I am a longtime viewer and 1st time poster. This forum has been a great source of information and insight. Thanks in advance. I have reloading equipment and number of rifles that are used for hunting in Alaska and the lower 48, but am interested in getting into benchrest shooting on a limited budget. Any ideas on some standard rifles and calibers?

I'm by no means an expert, but I belive the 6.5MM's are the "in" thing for benchshooting. A lot of high BC bullets available and low recoil.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Depends.............opinions certaintly vary on this complex and hot subject but my readings lead me to the 6mm Norma BR.
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/forum/index.php

Another good site is:
    http://www.benchrest.com/forums/

Rifles? Well, this will start an debate for sure! But my money for a beginner would go for a Savage in 6mm Norma BR. These can be found for under $1,000, add a nice quality scope for $500-600 and some BR quality dies, couple boxes of the right Berger bullets and hit the range and practice practice and practice. Make sure you match the bullet weight to the twist of your rifle.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Patty View Post
    I am a longtime viewer and 1st time poster. This forum has been a great source of information and insight. Thanks in advance. I have reloading equipment and number of rifles that are used for hunting in Alaska and the lower 48, but am interested in getting into benchrest shooting on a limited budget. Any ideas on some standard rifles and calibers?
    There are lots of disciplines within BR. For 100-200 competition there is really just one common caliber--6mm PPC. After 200 yards wind drift is a more significant issue so there are a number of different cartridges that are being used. Deciding what class you want to participate shooting will decide a great deal about what is the best caliber/rifle.

If you really want to compete in BR the best thing to do is start attending the competitions and talking with the guys that are shooting. I would not recommend buying a rifle over the counter, regardless the make or manufacture unless you are planning to shoot in an unmodified factory class of some sort. Rather I would recommend looking for a used gun at the competitions. Likely, you can find a tweaked factory action/quality rebarrel for a reasonable sum and that is a good place to start. You can often buy an assembled rifle for much less than the component parts and they offer a great value for a beginner.

I want to encourage you to get involved with the sport. It's a wonderful past time and you do not have to have a lot of money to have a lot of fun and satisfaction. Like any other sport it is best to be a spectator for at least a while before you jump into competition and especially before you start buying equipment. You can compete in BR on a limited budget, but you will need to make wise decisions with your dollars and face-to-face counsel is going to be better than any forum as you'll see things in action and have valid expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Depends.............opinions certaintly vary on this complex and hot subject but my readings lead me to the 6mm Norma BR.
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/forum/index.php

Another good site is:
    http://www.benchrest.com/forums/

Rifles? Well, this will start an debate for sure! But my money for a beginner would go for a Savage in 6mm Norma BR. These can be found for under $1,000, add a nice quality scope for $500-600 and some BR quality dies, couple boxes of the right Berger bullets and hit the range and practice practice and practice. Make sure you match the bullet weight to the twist of your rifle.

Another site worthy of some time is http://www.6mmbr.com/100BR.html

Default Thanks

I want to thank you for the responses and the info. Just what I needed to get started. A friend of mine in Alabama was lot more colorful. Here is his definition and advice on BR shooting. "I define benchrest shooting as the irrational application of hope accompanied by a rigorous adherence to unproven processes in pursuit of an unattainable goal. It requires the attention to detail of the consummate engineer and the unfailing optimism of the most sycophantic golden retriever. If this does not appeal to you, buy a good shotgun, have a stock maker fit it to you, buy a pallet of #8 shotgun shells and join a sporting clays club."

I may jump to sporting clays

That's hilarious!!!! Some good advice you've gotten, but I'll add my $.02. Before you jump into the BR game, you might want to invest in a used BR rifle. You can get one for half the price of a new one, and sometimes they will have fairly new barrels, or more than one barrel. A good place to look is benchrest.com classifieds, and Bob White has a list of used BR equipment usually. If it's short range BR you're looking into, you'd be wasting your money with a Savage or anything else except a used custom BR gun, cause it's not going to cost you much more. If it's 600 yards or 1000 yards, wind doping has more to do with it and you could get away with a Savage BR or F class gun to start out with. It also depends if you are group or score shooting. For group shooting, 6PPC is king. For score shooting, the 30BR is a very strong cartridge. For Hunter Benchrest, anything from a .308 to a 30X44, 30X47, 30IHMSA, etc. Check out Benchrest.com and try to get all the information you can from there, much more knowledge about that specific game. Many Hall of Fame shooters are regular posters on their so you will get some good honest information. Just don't ask them how you can shoot .25" groups all day long with a Savage factory rifle :-)
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

http://www.benchrest.com/shooterscorner/ Click on inventory.

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/ Bench rest central.

http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html For your viewing pleasure.

Have fun, and by the way if you live in Alaska, there is no hunter class or BR matches. When ever you get into BR the first thing you need is a great BR gunsmith to get with. All used BR rifles need the barrel re-placed for any competition.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I bought a 6br used about 5 years ago. It was in great shape for a great price, held it for 4 years and did NOTHING with it. lol finally sold it. I had access to a great range in Cali at the time. Don't know what the facilities are like for it up here, but it can be a fun game. It IS expensive though. I'll probably do it again when i get closer to retirement age. That seems to be when the guys really start having fun - doing a circuit and hitting lots of competitions. I just don't have the time for it right now.

Good luck - and ENJOY!

Default Benchrest rifle and caliber

I have a bunch of short action Savages with two of them being the Target action. I use to time and true my guns but found the target action close enough I quit. They are close enough I can shoot with anyone's published BR scores without buying expensive actions.

Benchrests (I use to be) are kind of a different bunch except when it comes to certain things. If someone wins with a ??? then someone else has got to have that setup. I use to compete in many disciplines from combat handguns to bowling pin matchs, combat matches to falling plate. I have never, ever shot a custom and I have Wine barrels full of trophies that say I did not have to have a $5000. custom.

Pick something your budget can handle and while reading the attached link also note that the 30BR round count talleys. In my book this is a good benchrest caliber and will outshoot most shooters.

http://www.6mmbr.com/30BR.html

Neal