Thread: Answer to Chicken Ridge problem?

Default Answer to Chicken Ridge problem?

I'd love to see a road to Nome and Dillingham! That would open up numerous hunting opportunities and relieve hunting pressure all over the current road system. I'm sure the Boy Wonder could wrangle some funding out of Congress with all the runaway spending and "stimulus" money that is hemorrhaging out of Washington.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/rural/story/1111745.html

Tim

If a railroad system were cheaper, which I think it would be, I could see that traveling to both locations. Not only do you get the cool rail travel, but you have a proven system of freighting and more then likely cheaper travel costs vs. flying into dillingham.

Quote Originally Posted by loopin View Post
    If a railroad system were cheaper, which I think it would be, I could see that traveling to both locations. Not only do you get the cool rail travel, but you have a proven system of freighting and more then likely cheaper travel costs vs. flying into dillingham.
    Cept that no guns on the train deal....

Default Native Lands

And much of the road will be on Native lands. So depending on the corporation, maybe no hunting.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs down

... and turn the whole state into Los Anchorage. Access to every where for everyone. Then the hunting will be crappy, if at all, every where.

Yea, I'd like to see white man drive his $45,000.00 truck pulling a trailer with $18,000.00 worth of wheelers past some of those villages. Lmao, the Natives would have moving target range for 500 miles!

Pure waste of money!
    Last edited by Brian M; 01-28-2010 at 10:06.

Rail would be good too, but it wouldn't be cheap to ride. Its cheaper to drive to Fairbanks than to ride the train, and probably quicker.

I don't think it would turn the whole state into Anchorage by making a road to Nome. That's a stretch. Does the Richardson look like Anchorage?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    And much of the road will be on Native lands. So depending on the corporation, maybe no hunting.
    The state would be paying them an arm and leg just to get the rights to travel on it, and then more to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Yea, I'd like to see white man drive his $45,000.00 truck pulling a trailer with $18,000.00 worth of wheelers past some of those villages. Lmao, the Nate's would have moving target range for 500 miles!

Pure waste of money!
    Unfortunately I would have to agree. The crime and vandalism would be astounding.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 01-27-2010 at 10:59. Reason: added something
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    You will have to take up archery
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

You can do it. Folks do it yearly out to the area just North of Talkeetna for bear and moose. Don't know how but it's done and I personally know 3 guys that have done it more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    You can do it. Folks do it yearly out to the area just North of Talkeetna for bear and moose. Don't know how but it's done and I personally know 3 guys that have done it more than once.
    Yep, you can take guns on the train. I think the bolt has to be removed or something along those lines, but I was looking into hunting bears on the whistlestop train south of Portage, and I know there was a provision for taking firearms.

What you can't take is fuel of any sort, including fuel canisters like a Jetboil. You'll have to cook with wood, but guns are allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep, you can take guns on the train. I think the bolt has to be removed or something along those lines, but I was looking into hunting bears on the whistlestop train south of Portage, and I know there was a provision for taking firearms.

What you can't take is fuel of any sort, including fuel canisters like a Jetboil. You'll have to cook with wood, but guns are allowed.
    Intesting! Good to know about the firearms, I had heard that it was a TSA post 911 disaster to try and carry guns aboard. I bet that you could get alcohol on board so it may be worthwhile to make one of those tin can alcohol stoves.

Intesting! Good to know about the firearms, I had heard that it was a TSA post 911 disaster to try and carry guns aboard. I bet that you could get alcohol on board so it may be worthwhile to make one of those tin can alcohol stoves.
    Yep. Whistle stop hunts north of Anchorage do allow the travel of guns.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

if i recall your bag and guns were secured in a baggage compartment on arrival of the train... and returned when you flagged off...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Not a bad Idea

... and turn the whole state into Los Anchorage. Access to every where for everyone. Then the hunting will be crappy, if at all, every where.
    I find this hard to believe, I have only hunted off the road system and have had a lot of success. You just have to find good areas an notice what the game is doing. The North Slope has had a road for many years now and it is still an excellent place to hunt. I would like to see a road so I could drive to Nome just to see it. Although with the price of gas maybe I should just buy a plane ticket!

Default I'll agree with you

to a point DSLDOG. It would be a huge waste. The money to survey, engineer, and build would be astronomical. What about the maintainance? snow removal? Vehicle assistance/enforcement? That's where my agreement ends.

I'm not sure who this Nate is nor do I have an inkling of an idea why he would have such a huge shooting range. But I hope you aren't referring to Native Alaskans and assuming that this would be common practice for them to shoot at passing motorists.

Heck, just think of how easy it may be for some from the villages to head down to town for extended periods, heck that may make it easier for some who haven't been able to pack up their possessions and leave for the good life in the cities to do so. It's possible that the jobs created will even go to native corps and their shareholders will benefit with jobs and possible dividends, which may even help them travel down that road. They might even become your neighbor. From the tone of your post, you'd probably be glad to welcome them.

Have a good one, and glad that we agree (to a point) this project doesn't make much sense.

Clay