Thread: eye color

Default eye color

Does using a red lense change eye color on say coyote and lynx compared
    to white light?

Depends on what color the coyote or lynxs eyes are. Usually no red wont change their eye color. Makes it alot harder to see their eyes with red though since eye color is non-absorbed light being reflected. If you shine a true pure red light on a dark blue or green eye, its almost impossible to see.

Default tapetum lucidum

this is the reflective part of the eye....which is part of the retina not the iris which is the part of the eye that is colored...the color of the iris has little effect on the color reflected by the tapetum lucidum... if the eye is blue the animal may show the red-eye effect like people when their pictures are taken...however very few wild animals have this oddity of a blue eye.....coyote/wolf/lynx eyes are yellow and fox eyes are red...the color being reflected is more species specific but however can also be affected by the angle at which the light is hitting the eye.......google "tapetum lucidum" and learn more.....generally a canine's eye will glow red or yellow and a feline will glow green.....these are the colors that are not being absorbed but reflected by the eye thats why so you could say that is why these animals are less aware of a colored light being shined on them compared to a white light.....obviously the greater the glow of the eye the more directly the animal is looking at the light.....really i guess the answer to your question is yes ...if you use only a red filter light then you will only see red light reflected back to you from the animals eye.....if you use a white light which contains all colors....you may see several different colors depending on species of animal and the angle at which the light enters the eye of the animal
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Ever been shining for coyotes and cats? ...just wondering
    -Chris

The red lense is the only way to hunt predators at night. I used to hunt at night for coyote and bobcats throughout washington state. The red lense does no scare the animal off like a white light will. With the white light, most predators are bothered by the intensity of the light due to the light spectrum being broadcast through white light, with a red filter it is filtered and it doesnt bother them much at all. I have hunted both ways, and when using a white light, you are broadcasting shadows which is the first thing that scares them away.
    The key to doing it right is starting the light at the same time you start calling. The light should be on the whole time at each set, slowly sweeping in a 360 degree radius. Once you spot eyes, hold the light a little above the animal so you still see the eyes and the light is not 100% on the animal, once the shooter is ready, lower the light on the critter, BANG, lights out:O)
    I have killed many, many bobcats and coyotes like this. I dont know the whole technical reson behind it, but it works. For more info on night hunting, goto predatormasters web page, join the forum and read all you want. Some of the top proffessional hunters are on there. I learned all I know from that website years ago.
    Night calling is a blast. I dont know for lynx, but with bobcat and even cougars, a woodpecker distress call is the best for good results.
    I sure do miss calling at night. I will be in Anchorage with a buddy for the fur rondy, if anyone has an open spot for 2 guys to join, I would be glad to come along and do all the calling for you. PM me if interested.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!