Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trail Deshka to Alexander Lake

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default Trail Deshka to Alexander Lake

Has anyone taken the trail from Deshka to Alexander Lake then North to Skwentna? How is the trail?

I have not this year, I do know of some guys that did and they said it was no problem.

Thumbs up Easy!!!

You will find that run to very easy! A few bumpy areas on the SU. And the trail in just past Luse's on the left is also in good shape!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Default Just curious

I own land just south of Skwentna close to Kenny Hughes place if anyone knows him. I am building a cabin there this summer.

You're only going to save 8 miles using the bypass trail.The down side is you will be all along on the trail. Do you have a pull sled?

Default Sled

Not yet, I am going to build one this summer and hitch it to my track vehicle. I have not been on any trail going there. So, hopefully, I will hook up with someone who won't mind showing me.

The bypass trail is a snowmobile trail only and there is no trail in the summer. Not knowing what track machine you have I would stay on the river. I would be very surprise if you could find someone to take you to Skwentna unless you paid them.

Default WOW

That sucks, you would think that people would like to just go for a ride. Not to mention, maybe some day they would like to stop by and spend some time. I remember in the old days, people would go out of their way to help each other. I still do and never ask for money.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You have a Play Cat, it was my first track machine, the memories.

You do not need a guide if you have a map and a GPS. I been all over Alaska before there were GPSís using only a map. A lotís of times I had no map only a location. You mention summer and track machine, you are not going to get to Skwentna in the summer unless you go by boat or airplane.

Default Skwentna

I have 8 acres about 6 miles south of Skwentna. I am building a cabin there this summer. This will be my year round retirement home. I was more interested in how you get to the trail from Deshka Landing. I know there is a trail that goes right by my land. There is a guy who owns a lodge up that way who grooms the trail but, I don't remember his name or lodge.

Default Playcat

This is a fun machine, I really like it and it is pretty rugged.

6 miles SOUTH of Skw is close to Eight miles Lake and the trail goes to Eight miles lake. If you go WEST up the Skw river the trail is groom by Talvista Lodge. Iím going to assume you are talking about going west not south.
    If you had a snowmobile it would be shorter to use the buy pass trail, but not with a Play Cat.

I know you like your Play CaT, you have not been on that trail, i have several times.

Sorry.

Default Talvista Lodge

BINGO, I think that is the guy who grooms the trail. Maybe I will email him and see if he is the one I am thinking about.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=71939 Here,s a link with the gps, and phone no#s They will be running around, up that way in a couple weeks.http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...9776&highlight

The former caretaker at the TAl's was Chris. The new careaker is Ken(?). As of a week ago the trail was in but not marked or groomed and a sled with drag was not going to fix much. There was one place where we had to add more snow to the ice bridge to get our sleds across the creek.

The trail last year was like the AutoBahn, this year the snow has large drifts/dips in many parts of the trail. Some are just normal terrain features, while others are where the water settled the snow. I know one spot some of them were 3 to 4 feet from top to bottom. Pulling cargo would currently be a rough trip. Coming to Eight Mile from Skwentna is a much better way to go.

As far as moving cargo, give Adam a call at Yetena Station(733-2746). He is setup to move doubles and I think occasionally triple cargo sleds.

Default Thanks

I gave the owner of the Talvista Lodge a call tonight and his partner Meagan said he was in town until Saturday and she will have him call me. If anyone knows what is going on he will. I'm pretty sure she said that they are grooming the trail.

I was on the trail last weekend and it was in great shape. No problems at all. I was pulling a small load on a culvert sled. Take care and have a great weekend. See you out there.

Default Sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by gconk View Post
    I was on the trail last weekend and it was in great shape. No problems at all. I was pulling a small load on a culvert sled. Take care and have a great weekend. See you out there.
    Sounds good. When I get my cabin built, you are invited to stop by anytime. Where were you headed?

Default It was good on the 18 of Jan

Hey,

I have property past Skwentna. Travel by myself all the time, and would be happy to have company on the trip....NO CHARGE (as someone suggested). I have attached a map of my last trip...

check my post "Lost Stuff" for image of the map. The site will not let me post it again.

Default Thanks for the invite

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowmo View Post
    Hey,

I have property past Skwentna. Travel by myself all the time, and would be happy to have company on the trip....NO CHARGE (as someone suggested). I have attached a map of my last trip...

check my post "Lost Stuff" for image of the map. The site will not let me post it again.
    I will be more than happy to take you up on that. I won't be traveling up that way until next winter but, I will keep in touch with you. When I get my cabin done you will always be welcomed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast