Thread: kids helmet open or closed?

Default kids helmet open or closed?

Gonna be taking my gal's 7 yr old son riding with us. Not sure what to get open or closed face as I dont normally take kids that already dont have gear.

Idears? and where to find a good used one? He's in WI right now and will be up in a couple of weeks to visit.

Thanks

def. closed to protect his face in case of a wreck. my youngest likes a full face helmet and my oldest likes a motocross style. I've noticed the full face fogs up more but keeps the weather out better. motocross needs a baclava and goggles to go with it, and thats more money and more equipment to keep track of. I think it's best to get the helmet with the kid there to check fit before you buy. most atv stores in anch. and the valley have decent deals on kids stuff. I got the last one for 20 bucks on sale. and don't forget something to keep his neck warm.

I'm in North Pole...I know the deal open vs closed, have both myself. I've seen young kids with both. Just kinda looking for now.

Figured we'd takem fishing a time or two and out for a couple rides depending on the temps of course.

Not for snowmachines, but I got my son a full-face motocross style helmet with goggles for his fourwheeler. It works pretty well.

I don't know about used - I bought his new at Performance Yamaha in Wasilla.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

RMK

Default What to do about the face

While I personally prefer open face style with goggles, it's not for everyone.

My wife wears glasses, so prefers a full face with a shield. Her shield seemed to fog more than goggles do, so I bought a heated shield. It's just wired to the sled, and it stays fog free. (goggles fit under the cowling easier when they do fog up. Just a minute with a warm engine, and they defrost)

If you can borrow a helmet in the short term, wait until the end of the season to buy. The shops put helmets on deep discounts. I got a cool new helmet last spring for 70% off.

Open face helmets mean you better have a balaclava to cover your face. Any exposed skin will quickly freeze in cold temps. With a full face you can get by with a scarf or even a high necked jacket.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hear ya rmk, I personally prefer my open face but honestly it didnt seem very logical to buy all the stuff for a 7 yr old whose going ride for a couple of days this winter and grow out if it by next winter. Not to mention keeping his face warm. A closed face just seems more logical for now.

Stick a balaclava and a good hat on him and cover it with an adult bicycle helmet. My kid rode through her young years with a bike helmet because it was lighter. Works great.

I got my kids full face w/ a visor and shield they love them. I take head protection very seriously w/ my kids and my oldest (7) walked away from a pretty bad accident this year when I rolled my AC 700 on top of him. When he outgrows this one he will probably get a motoX style helmet and goggles but for the little guys the full shield is the way to go.

What ever helmet you decide to get, ensure it fits properly. The best way to check fit for a youngster is have the helmet on/strapped and grab the back of the helmet, pulling up and forward try to remove the helmet. To much forward/rear movement is not properly fitted and a smaller size may be neccessary or different style.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    What ever helmet you decide to get, ensure it fits properly. The best way to check fit for a youngster is have the helmet on/strapped and grab the back of the helmet, pulling up and forward try to remove the helmet. To much forward/rear movement is not properly fitted and a smaller size may be neccessary or different style.
    Good info, we purchased a little large and have a variety of hats and balaclava's that fit underneath to take up the slop. Play with the different helmets and make sure that the buckle can be pulled out of the way for putting it on. That is the only gripe I have with the ones I purchased. Kids don't like having a chin strap buckle jabbing them in the head. Especially when dad (in my case) is trying to push the darn thing on their melon!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Good info, we purchased a little large and have a variety of hats and balaclava's that fit underneath to take up the slop. Play with the different helmets and make sure that the buckle can be pulled out of the way for putting it on. That is the only gripe I have with the ones I purchased. Kids don't like having a chin strap buckle jabbing them in the head. Especially when dad (in my case) is trying to push the darn thing on their melon!

I should know as I am looking for a bucket for my head. I have had my TXi since 2002 and it's time to go....the problem is I am having a hard time finding something else. SOOOOO a new TXi made be in my future for the real cold days and maybe an open face for the above zero days.

I spent alot of days over the summer trying to find the right fit for my bike bucket.