Thread: Crimping Bullets

Default Crimping Bullets

What do you guys do about crimping bulets for semi auto rifles? What do you do if bullet does not have a crimping grove? I have and load for a 223 single shot, and thinking I could use a semi auto in 223. I noticed I have several different 22 caliber bullets from several different manufactors and none of them have a crimping grove. What do you do if loading for a semi auto rifle?

I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Works like a charm with or without a crimp groove. I have a Remington 30.06 and M1A auto and have no issues.

I have loaded hundreds of rounds (probably over a thousand actually) for my AR-15, and AR-10, and have never crimped. Never had any issues either. I even use match (soft cup) primers, and also never had issues.

I load (or have loaded) lots for M1 Garand, M14 style, AR, and Mini14 semi autos. Never crimped and never had a problem. Don't try to keep your brass forever, semiautos are hard on brass.

I crimp and use hard primers for semi autos. Dont crimp for bolt guns. YMMV

There should be no reason to crimp for a semi auto if your dies are doing their job. Neck tension should prevent the bullet from traveling during the feed cycle. If your gun is stuffing the bullet back into the case, you've got feed problems. As I've noted before, I've loaded in excess of 30,000 rounds of 308's and I've never needed to crimp. The rifles I own or have owned, The M-1A(M-14), M-1 Garands, M-1 carbines, Beretta BM-62, FAL's, Galil, and HK-91's, Armalite AR-180,(gave up on 223), and probably a few I've missed. None have ever given me issues requiring a crimped bullet.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default I've wondered bout that too.

If a crimp is called for as in Tubular Mags., Heavy recoil, Autos, etc. there's no reason not to do it. Unless, you're lazy, of course. I've never crimped without a groove.

I crimp 30-30 loads, 338 full power loads if there is a crimping groove, that will give me an OAL that's gonna work OK.

I don't own an Automatic Centerfire Rifle, but I'd crimp for that too, if I could.

Besides, it's easy to do. Especially with a Lee FC Die. I don't mind using the crimp built into most seating dies, either.

Factory loads are crimped. I've never seen one that wasn't, anyway. Sometimes it's hard to tell without looking close.

Smitty of the North.
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I use the lee FCD for all my loading. Works great, no issues.

I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die for:
    my tube feed guns like the 45-70 1886 Win,

And for auto-loaders that like to slam things around like ARs.

AND, for some heavy magnum hunting loads for bolt guns.

The Lee Die does not require a bullet cannelure (crimp groove), in fact it will make one if you set the die far enough.

For my Sharps Rifles, I use a taper crimp die.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com