Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's The Deal With PMs?

Default What's The Deal With PMs?

I have been recieving and sending PMs since I joined this group and now all of a sudden today I can't. Does anyone know what's happening.

Not sure. Did you hit a button or something blocking them? Maybe a new forum rule? Ask Brian M on here or one of the mods, you should be able to send a visitor message on their personal pages.

Your mail box is probably full. Clean out the old stuff and don't forget about your sent file.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Your mail box is probably full. Clean out the old stuff and don't forget about your sent file.
    *** The link to my mail box isn't even on my screen anymore. I don't know how to even get there.

I dont have PM's available either. Just email option and I know my in and out box are empty. Wait I lied. i can to joat it looks like but not to PMFB I tried to send one to mudd the other day and could not either
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

They just changed something with the PM system today to stop all the SPAM problems they were having. Since PMFB-RN is a fairly new member, I wonder if their SPAM fix had something to do with disabling PMs on new accounts for a time period?

I see what Chuck is talking about. I have the ability to send a PM to everyone here except for PMFB-RN. Time for a mod to chime in, I thinks.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by PMFB-RN View Post
    I have been recieving and sending PMs since I joined this group and now all of a sudden today I can't. Does anyone know what's happening.
    You probably said something political or religious in one of those PMs. The system now causes PM accounts to automatically self-destruct when that happens--through the forum's new sophisticated VCSS (Virtual Censorship Software System).

Stid is online now you might want to toss it his way. If not Im sure Brian will be checking in on it for you, He is pretty good about taking care of these hiccups quickly.

Holy Carp Hawk. Milk out the nose moment on that post. You got rep for that one. classic
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

We had to make some changes to PM privileges in order to address the overwhelming spam issue. We were at the point that we were going to start losing members due to spam in PM boxes, so we had to make a few moves to get things under control. We can adjust settings on a case by case basis if you bring it to my attention. I'm sorry for the hassle, folks, but we needed to take action within the confines of the software capabilities.

Brian and Mike S mentioned that they would be implementing some new protocols in order to address the recent Spam attacks in our PM Boxes. One of the ideas mentioned was not allowing new members to access the PM feature for a predetermined period of time.

My guess is this was initiated today.

Welcome to Alaska, and collateral damage...<grin>....

**Edit.

Crap Brian, you type too fast.
    Last edited by AlaskaHippie; 01-26-2010 at 22:05. Reason: Brian beat me to it
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I've been trying to find a moderator to contact pertaining this problem. I got some PM's that i needed to reply to and now i can't. Should all "newbies" be "punished" for this?

If there's a mod that can assist with this and another question i have, can you please contact me?

Thanks,
    Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgefan01 View Post
    Should all "newbies" be "punished" for this?
    We're not punishing anyone. Unfortunately, we had to make a choice. Either we allow spammers to fill hundreds of members' in-boxes every night with spam PMs or make an adjustment to the PM feature requirements. It was not a choice we made lightly, but there was an outcry from members over all of the spam they were getting on a nightly basis, so we had to make a change. I apologize for the inconvenience, but we really did not have another solution given software limitations and the persistent nature of those who send spam.

You should now have access to your PM box.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    We're not punishing anyone. Unfortunately, we had to make a choice. Either we allow spammers to fill hundreds of members' in-boxes every night with spam PMs or make an adjustment to the PM feature requirements. It was not a choice we made lightly, but there was an outcry from members over all of the spam they were getting on a nightly basis, so we had to make a change. I apologize for the inconvenience, but we really did not have another solution given software limitations and the persistent nature of those who send spam.

You should now have access to your PM box.
    Thanks, i didn't mean to come off like a jerk if i did. I appreciate the PRIVILEGE to PM.

Thanks again!

Can I get access to mine also??? My other username is Wy2Ak but there is already a user named Wyo2Ak so I changed my name because I kept getting his PM's.....

Dodge - No worries. Your post actually gave me a chance to more fully explain the move, so I appreciate it.

ak sagebrush - You should have access to your PMs now, and I have also merged your two accounts. Your Wy2Ak account no longer exists and all posts made under that name are now listed under your ak sagebrush account.

Could you please turn on the PM function for me as well?

Thanks!

Me too, please.

I'd also like to have access to PMs - thanks!

Default PM trouble also

I have access to my pm box, but the pm I try to send do not show in my sent box, and I'm not sure they are going through or not.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNBgame View Post
    I have access to my pm box, but the pm I try to send do not show in my sent box, and I'm not sure they are going through or not.
    Odd. I'm not sure why that would be, but try sending me a PM and we'll see if it comes through. To make sure it works, include the GPS coordinates to where you got that moose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast