Thread: First day of ice fishing tomorrow.

Default First day of ice fishing tomorrow.

My wife and I are going for our first try of ice fishing in the morning. We were thinking of trying Echo lake. does this sound like a good bet? This is our first winter in AK and we re pretty bare bones. Can we drive onto Echo, I was hoping to used the old SUV as a wind break if nothing else.

Which Echo Lake?

What part of Alaska are you in?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

We live in Anchortown, I was referring to the one in the valley.

Make that the Echo lake in the Kepler Bradley area in the Valley. This is a state with too many lakes.

OK, that makes more sense. The Echo Lake I'm familiar with isn't a place you would drive on and I don't think anyone fishes it since it is completely bordered by private property.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

The echo lake in the kepler-bradley area is surrounded by private property also. It has public access from the highway but it's a short, steep trail down to the water, certainly not going to be driving out there unless you know the property owners.

I fished it a week and a half ago and we had a couple of hits on glow in the dark jigs. Good luck.

If you're mostly looking to take the suv out on the ice I think you can at kepler lake, or finger lake is a good one too.

Thanks for the info! I don't mind some walking but I think the wife will appreciate having a warm vehicle nearby.

Default Fishing report

Made a snap decision to go to Big Lake instead. The wife and I are clueless but I did happen into about 24" Burbot. Dumb luck more than anything. I think I will try again tomorrow. I really want to hook a Dolly. Ice is about 24" deep, the hand auger is a good workout.

Congrats on the "dumb luck"! Many of us have been fishing a while, with no such luck. If you don't mind, how deep of water were you fishing? Any secret lures? Thinking about heading there tomorrow for most of the day..

It was A 24" burbot not 24 burbot. It was about 20 ft deep and I hooked him about halfway to the bottom. I hooked him on a pink pixie with some maribou.

Default big lake

great job on the frist fish out there ice fishing I give you a hand, clap, clap,

Red face The sirens song of Big Lake

That sounds about right. The lure of Big Lake is the chance that you may possibly hook into one of those monster Char or burbot. Usually the first trip you catch something nice which fools you into going back only to get skunked again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMCOD View Post
    That sounds about right. The lure of Big Lake is the chance that you may possibly hook into one of those monster Char or burbot. Usually the first trip you catch something nice which fools you into going back only to get skunked again and again.

LOL very clever....
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com