Thread: A little Help.

Default A little Help.

First and foremost my name is Nick Rhoades I am 25 and have been waterfowl hunting since I was 7. I currently reside in Tennessee and I have been graced with the privelage to hunt in Arkansas, Mississippi and Missouri every season. I have hunted in argentina once and it was an adventure all in itself. I have guided duck and spring snow goose hunts the last 8 years. This has been easy since I have lived in TN the last 20 yrs and I'm from NE/ARK and its only 4hrs away. I am a civilian medic for the Army going on 3yrs and have been a firefighter for 5yrs. And my fiance is an army medic and she is looking at Re-Enlisting to Ft. Richardson and being the love of my life of course marriage will be in the future before the move. So with that all out of the way I know how the duck and goose hunting community here goes and respect it. However any information (LEGIT) on where to hunt would be great I don't wanna know where your honey hole is but any help would be greaty appreciated. Thanks to anyone and everyone who may help if you would prefer to pm or e-mail me any information that would be understandable. Thanks in advance.

You'll see some places pop up. There should be awesome duck hunting up there. I floated the Kenai river once and saw so many birds I wanted to sit there forever.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Nick, just read through the last few months of posts for 2009 that ask about Anchorage hunting and all the information you want is there. There are not any honey holes around anchorage that several people don't already know about or have posted some basic info on. Birdstike is holding out but I think I figured out his honey hole last fall and I ain't telling anyone either.

To obtain more info faster just search this forum for "anchorage" and "hay flats" and you will have several years of info for you to review.

You will find that you do not have many choices around Anchorage for duck hunting, but you will find a lot of competition for those few choices. There are nearly 400,000 people in the Anchorage area and another 70,000 in the Valley. The "best" road based hunting area(s) is(are) right between them.

According to the long time users of some spots the competition is getting out of hand with someone this year asking the rest of us if we would consider some kind of californiacated lottery system to keep the place from getting over run. As you can image that went over well.

By the end of October you will miss hunting back home a great deal. This part of the state even with the huge refuges around it does not hold the same numbers of birds as other parts of the state, or they are too spread out to be effectively hunted (once moved off they don't come back). Too much habitat with no access is a bad thing for hunters but a good thing for ducks. It is still fun and rewarding though. Guys with enough time off still manage to take 100 birds in a short season before freeze up.

You and the lady will enjoy your time at Ft Rich and in Upper Cook Inlet.

AK Ray thanks for the info. Yeah we have a BS draw system here and it sucks. I am hoping to find someone who would like to do some trapping as well and other hunting as well. But i have to study up on all the regs for there before I go jumpin off in that deep end of the pool lol. I usually get to hunt 55 days out of the 60 here so I'm sure I'll miss the amount of hunting I do here but I'm sure that will be made up for by the difference of species to hunt.

Default welcome

Kriplekiller, welcome to Alaska and I hope you enjoy your stay in our state, maybe even make it a perminant move. For most of the places you see described in here you will find that a boat is necessary to access. You might keep that in mind this spring and summer. Of course there are places that a boat is nice, but a young strong guy like you can hike into, whereas a old fat guy like me perfers to ride.

Before a lot of mis-information gets spread around, Ak Ray refered to a suggestion made along the lines of a lottery system. I do think he may have misread a earlier post of mine. One time I did put out the idea of limiting shooting on the hayflats to weekends, holidays and wednesdays, as is done in California refuges. Yes, it would be inconvienant for some, but those ducks get blasted pretty hot and heavy and get driven out early sometimes. I think it might make for better hunting thoughout the season to do something like that, just a idea, had nothing to do with a lottery system. Bud

Welcome KripleKiller. There is decent duck hunting within an hour of Anchorage. You'll dig up enough info on here to figure out where to park and from there it's just a matter of watching the birds and scouting the old fashioned way....listening for the shooting. The season is relatively short. This year we had a late freeze but most years the majority of the water will begin to freeze by mid-October so hunt September hard. Most of the ares you'll hunt (other than open water) have heavy cover. A dog is a must unless you're willing to lose birds

AK Ray thinks he has my spot pegged...hahah. But, this year the water was relatively low in my preferred spot and my average dropped from 4 birds/day to about 2.5 so it's nothing to brag about. Plus....tide permitting I always have the option of going back farther and hunting the roost ponds when Ray does show up.

As an added bonus the scenery driving to/from and while in the blind is spectacular no matter where you hunt up here. This year I had to stand up in the blind and try to scare off a young bull moose.

Default blackdawg

I condensed an entire thread into one sentence to keep things simple so it was not specifically you I was refering to.

The more the hayflats are impacted the better the hunting can be in Jim creek, sometimes, but not always, well, alright I'll admit there is little change in the "hunting".

Of course that does not explain the huge flocks of birds that show up at 9am in a total panic and flare away from any spot that has decoys.

Eventually those birds settle down somewhere up the valley and can provide good shooting a few days later, but they always want to get back to the flats.

Birdstrike - I am yanking your chain. I have found a couple of spots that might be your hole, but they look to be too run over to be someplace that was a holey hole. But then there are a lot of people up here that walk past good hunting spots without realizing it.

If the Jim Creek swamps get some water back I will be back in my favorite spots out there again. Even if the water does not come back up I have new tools to work in those conditions so the water level might not matter as long as I hunt alone.