Thread: M77 ballistics.

Default M77 ballistics.

Where can I find the ballistics for a stainless/synthetic M77 in a 300win mag?What is the best factory load?

The make and model of your rifle doesn't make much difference. Each rifle is an idividual, and may produce different velocities than an "identical" rifle.

For factory ammo, I'd go with Federal Premium in your bullet of choice. My choice for the .300 WM would probably be the 180 or 200 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw.

Here's a link to Federal's data:

http://www.federalpremium.com/ballis...mo_Search.aspx

I have heard that the ruger barrels are made a little sloppy compared to others and it seems some factory rounds perform better ???

All three Ruger 77 MKIIs I've owned were quite accurate. The Mini-14s barrels are generally pretty crappy, but Ruger seems to do a good job with their bolt guns.

I've also heard that allegation about Ruger barrels, but my 350 rem mag certainly shoots

Yes, this was a handload and the factory 200 gr rem ammo was pretty pathetic.

That said, I've shot a buddies Ruger 300 win mag, and factory ammo would put 3 shots into 1" at 100 yds, which is quite respectible for a factory rifle and ammo.

Default M77~ Ruger 300WM

I have quickly and quite accurately harvested both moose and elk with my Ruger M77 in 300WM using Winchester FailSafe 180gr. In sighting in, I have shot groups of 4 each of the last 3 years all with in 1.5 inches at 100yds. Now that I have a decent spotting scope, I may start to sight in at 200yds.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

fishguy,

best remedy for doubt and speculation is to purchase 2 boxes or maybe 4 if you have the extra bucks and go zero in your Ruger. I have zeroed in a buddies that liken to Pauls @ 100yds is superbly accurate without bedding and a trigger job. That was with factory loads as well--did forget to this day what it was for fodder but you get the pic.

Rugers shoot quite well.

Thumbs up Very accurate

I have three M77's and my son has 3 also. All are extremely accurate and his 6mm is the best tack driver I have seen. Ruger makes excellent bolt guns and are probably the best for the buck that you will find, IMHO. Similar to any make I think you have to find the brand of ammo that each "likes" best. Most of ours shoot better with different brands, i.e. the 30-06 likes Hornady, the .338 win mag likes Federal Premium etc.

remington ammo tends to kick more for some reason in my 300wm. I like thke failsafe's too. plus there are some cheap ones CPX 3. have to look to see who makes them. think it is winchester. pretty nice bullets though. always shoot 180gr. no matter what i am hunting. sight in using your bullets you will hunt with. the cpx 3's are like $22 a box at sportsmans. plus if you are looking for a gun. chimo's out in wasilla still sell their rugers with scopes for $550-$599. Scopes are nothing great, simons, but mine lasted 9 years on my rifle and last year put a leupold 3.5x10 varix III on which is nice. but simmons was alright, water proof and all that and if really carefull won't fog up on you in the winter. like i said lasted me 9 nine years and my dad still has his to this day 11 years. so a rifle and scope combo can't beat that price i don't believe and they bore sight it for you and set the scope to your liking. nice guys out there too. anyways just thought i would say you can't wrong with a ruger.

Default Federal HE

For factory stuff - I always loved Federal HE 300 WinMag, 180gr-TBBC... However, with that said I did a quick search on FEDERAL's web site and I can't find it listed anymore...

ANYONE know if Federal Premium is still available in (high energy)?

Default Hornady

My Ruger 300 win mag m77 has been pretty accurate. After testing multiple factory ammunitions I found Hornady ammunition shoot the best and most accurate. You might try it out.

Default sportsmans warehouse

all ruger are on sale, $469. they said there are new one on the way and they want to move the now older style. they look fine to me and he said there is very little difference but a difference, can't remember what. but saves $90 this way. just some FYI

the new model supposedly have a nicer stock, but the barrel is glossier. supposedly a better trigger on the new model, too. i just bought one of the older models from a shop before i moved up here. they're getting tougher to find, so move quick if you want one. i almost couldn't get one in 308.