Thread: Cell service in Alaska

Default Cell service in Alaska

Hi.
    I will be coming up to Alaska in March and was wondering how
    the ATT cell service is up there.
    I will be starting out in the Palmer/Wasilla area and scouting out different areas from there.
    Not sure where I will end up, but that seems like a nice central area to start.
    Cordova, Valdez, kenai peninsula, as well the Mat-Su all seem like nice places from the research I have done so far.
    I have a year left on my Att contract so I was hoping they had decent
    coverage up there.
    Thanks,
    Bryan

Default Pretty good coverage

I have ATT service up here and have not had much problem with cell service. I wouldn't worry about it much. It will vary depending on what area you are in, but I don't think there is much overall difference between the different carriers up here.

There is a difference. You'll find that ACS has the larger coverage area around the road system. However, GCI is taking over in the "bush". You mentioned Cordova... GCI has zero coverage there yet, but it is on their 2010 expansion list (was on their 2009 expansion list last year, but they didn't get it completed). ACS will work over there now. Your ATT coverage will be fine on the road system around the big cities, but will probably be lacking when you get away from those hubs.

No one has complete coverage of all the places you'll want to go.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Joat is right, other than on road cities / hubs, ATT is lacking. It won't work in the bush communities as of yet. ACS & GCI have better coverage out there right now then ATT. Starting out in Palmer / Wasilla will get you good coverage for the time being.

ATT used to have all the long distance setup's in the bush communities (many sites remain); but are not configured to use with cell and are not going to be in the foreseeable future according to the ATT techs.

Enjoy the move and what Alaska has to offer.

I went with ACS because I wanted remote coverage, and they do a very good job. I've been boating in PWS, 50 miles from Whittier and get cell reception. Funny thing is in our Home at Eagle River the reception is spotty.

As far as nice places, it depends on if you have to work or not, and if you do what type of job you need to find. We had our dreams when we moved up here, reality is I've been working in Anchorage the 13 years we've been here, and that doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon.

Thanks for the info.
    Sounds like my ATT will get me by until I find a place to
    settle down.
    I can't wait to get back up there.
    Its been 14 years and I have not been able to get Alaska out of
    my head since than.

I was there last winter and haven't been able to get Alaska out of my head either.

Regarding phones, I took two phones to Alaska - my work Verizon phone and my personal Trac Phone. The Trac Phone works off several carriers and had the best coverage by far. I had no coverage for about 50 miles on the Richardson Highway between Glennallen and Delta Junction, most notably around Summit Lake. Also there wasn't any coverage on sections of the Glenn Highway. The scenery was so majestic on the Parks Highway that I didn't even look at the phone.

Default ATT in kotz

Quote Originally Posted by blybrook View Post
    Joat is right, other than on road cities / hubs, ATT is lacking. It won't work in the bush communities as of yet. ACS & GCI have better coverage out there right now then ATT. Starting out in Palmer / Wasilla will get you good coverage for the time being.

ATT used to have all the long distance setup's in the bush communities (many sites remain); but are not configured to use with cell and are not going to be in the foreseeable future according to the ATT techs.

Enjoy the move and what Alaska has to offer.

I have AT&T in Kotzebue and it works great- never drop a call...works better here than it does in the lower 48. As soon as I leave town, maybe 5-10 miles, it stops working until I make it to the next village...worked fine in Noorvik the other day.