Thread: Arc' Teryx LEAF Clothing and Gear, Group Buy ?

Lightbulb Arc' Teryx LEAF Clothing and Gear, Group Buy ?

Is anyone currently using this gear? Any comments about it?

I am thinking about taking advantage of an opportunity to buy in volume, Seconds from them and maybe doing a Group buy. Pricing was said to be at, or below, Wholesale pricing. Seems like a good deal.

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?Mens

Would this even be permitted? I have not done a group buy since the change of ownership here. I would not want to break a house rule.

Can someone provide a ruling on that?

Thanks.

I like the Alpha Jacket. I've been looking for a new Gore-Tex jacket and have been eyeing Arcteryx because they make the only jackets that fit my criteria: removable hood, pit zips, and raised pocket designed for pack use. It's almost impossible to find a decent Gore-Tex jacket with all three.

I've given in to the fact that I'm going to have to pay for a jacket that meets my criteria, but $700, are they crazy. Wholesale would have to be pretty dang good, I'd be interested to hear what that price may be.

Arc'Teryx was great stuff. Now, it's getting to be another line that's watered down. Salomon purchased Arc'Teryx a few years ago and started outsourcing a fair percentage of their products to China. Adidas purchased, then sold, Salomon. The quality has slipped at each step along the way. The products from the late '90's and early 2000's were fantastic.

Now, it's a name with some better gear but not worth what it once was.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

When you say manufacturing went over to China a few years ago, when was that?

I bought 7 garments from A.T. LEAF in 2008 and all were stamped made in Canada.

Do you mean production location changed within the last 12 months?

I can tell you that all items I bought were bomb proof. If their quality slipped, I am not seeing that. MHO.

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    When you say manufacturing went over to China a few years ago, when was that?

I bought 7 garments from A.T. LEAF in 2008 and all were stamped made in Canada.

Do you mean production location changed within the last 12 months?

I can tell you that all items I bought were bomb proof. If their quality slipped, I am not seeing that. MHO.
    I knew they had started making some of their fleece and such overseas, but thoguht they still made all their hardshells in Canada?

I think they make some great gear but there is no way I will ever pay hundreds of dollars for a jacket or pants!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Steep and Cheap has a lot of Arc'teryx gear for sale. You can usually find it for over half off. Makes it so it's in my price range.

I can't complain about the quality. I picked up a pair of ski bibs and a sidewinder jacket a few years ago and have put 200 plus days of skiing on the gear. It's solid. I get a pro deal on the stuff so it's not very expensive. There's now way I would pay $400 for a shell jacket.

I've got three Arc'teryx jackets and all three of them have had zipper problems. I keep putting off sending them in, but I need to do so soon, and I hope their warranty service is decent. Other than the zippers, though, Arc'teryx stuff has been bombproof for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I can't complain about the quality. I picked up a pair of ski bibs and a sidewinder jacket a few years ago and have put 200 plus days of skiing on the gear. It's solid. I get a pro deal on the stuff so it's not very expensive. There's now way I would pay $400 for a shell jacket.
    got any lightly used xxl pro-stuff you want to get rid of?

I would be interested, but I'd need to see the prices you can get on the group buy first.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I would be interested, but I'd need to see the prices you can get on the group buy first.

I rec'd an email from the A.T. guy today who has been out of the office for trade shows for two weeks. He is catching up now and I should see the price list shortly.

I do have enough guys to press ahead, from another site, but before I can offer it here, we need approval of the STAFF/ADMIN.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    got any lightly used xxl pro-stuff you want to get rid of?

I'm 6'1". I tried to order some gear for my wife and received an email that basically stated, "Dude, if we send you this, you have to send pics of you wearing it."

They are a bit tougher to skirt than Burton or the other companies that offer pro deals.

We do get first dibs on seconds gear and a Christmas share list.

Steepandcheap has had all kinds of xxl Arcteryx stuff lately that has been at least 50&#37; off, which is better than the pro deals that lots of companies offer. You freakish sized people get way better deals out of sites like steepandcheap and camofire than the rest of us.

I sent in my info a couple of months ago and got a password, etc to make purchases. Great clothing, but very expensive. The price reduction wasn't anything great and not worth it. A $600 jacket reduced to $490. Woohoo! It is aimed at military and LE, but I found their prices still very high. I have had pro-deals with most all the leading outdoor equipment/clothing manufacturers and those pro-deals were usually 40% off. Wasn't worth the money. I have some ArcTeryx stuff, but for their reduced price, you could buy Marmot, MH, OR, etc in subdued colors.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    Great clothing, but very expensive. The price reduction wasn't anything great and not worth it. A $600 jacket reduced to $490.

Not correct. More Like a $700 shell for $340. That is a lot more than the 40% off through your Pro plan. The wonders of large volume puchases....

You are correct, that is a large volume purchase though. If you join the LEAF program and look at the prices for individual purchases, the price reduction is not good. Compared to other professional deals I have had with other manufacturers (similar to ArcTeryx) that were in the 40% off for individual purchases not bulk purchases.

A $700 shell????? Go to MH, OR, Marmot, Patagonia and see if you find $700 shells. So their 40% off gets you to just below the normal cost of a shell from these other makers. Serious mark up on ArcTeryx's part. I have owned outer garments from all these makers and they are all top quality.

Lightbulb

Your points are well taken and I am not disagreeing with what you are saying.

However, my central point was that because the LEAF program, which I do not qualify for offers 40% off retail, that does not mean that is the same as the deal I have structured with them.

My deal is for Seconds, not first quality, hence the first big price reduction, then the second reduction for that lack of a better phrase, large size order that I am placing shortly. So, we are really talking about two different issues.

I agree that Patagonia, Marmot, M.H. and Outdoor Research all make top quality kit. You point about price comparisions is duly noted, as well. I am also glad that you correctly left out The North Face. As TNF does not belong in the same league as the others, even though they have a couple of items in their line that couldbe classifed the same.

The A.T. Alpha jacket, is likely their most popular shell and retails for $699. $340 is more than 50% off and some of the other items, are even more than that off.