Thread: Kudos to UPS

Default Kudos to UPS

Shipped a box of fish to my folks yesterday. Did a little pre-shipping research between UPS, USPS and Fed Ex. Ended up using UPS. When strait to the hub just off Post Road. Only open from 1200-6 PM. Talked to a little sweet black lady whom was an angel a few days prior. She said to get it too her before 2 pm and she could get it out soon. I went to see her at 1200 noon yesterday and paid for 2 day service to Northern Maine (152 bucks for 56 pounds. Parents got it their time at 11:24 am. They will see me again.

And for a few of the nitpickers, I mailed sport caught Halibut, lingcod and Silver Salmon. I still have my dipnetted reds.

Default So what's the rate...

with the other services...?

USPS was about 225.00 and FedEx was just about the same as UPS but couldn't guarantee me 2 day delivery for that zip code or so they said and I didn't want to take the change. Plus that lady at UPS was awesome and they followed thru.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i had a box of fish shipped up from Eagle river last fall.. still waiting for it to show up...

usps... i will prolly return it to send if it does now though....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Alaska Air Cargo

If you're shipping within the Alaska Airlines route system, check out their rates. They go by dimensional weight, so know the dimensions of your item. I shipped a fish box to California (sport-caught hatchery kings), 56lbs. Wrapped each one in newspaper as a type of insulator. This was in September. Ran me $86 from Juneau. I believe that was sent Priority. Dropped it off on a Thursday night. It spent the night in the JNU freezer (or so I was told), then flew the next day and arrived at 5 or 6PM. I was told that the outer pieces in the box were just starting to thaw when picked up. Probably due to NOT being in a freezer in transit (SEA in the 60s, OAK in the upper 70s), but still acceptable for the price. Package was picked up very soon after arrival.

UPS for JNU to OAK was 160 for 2nd day air and $193 for Next Day (both quotes for non-refrigerated, same as AK AIR). Not exactly comparable as UPS delivers to your door whereas the receiving party needs to go to the airport with AK Air.

Also, you need to be a known shipper to ship with AK Air; that requires you to fill out a form and give a copy of your utility bill and id to be processed by AK Air / TSA (I'm not sure which). That can take up to a month and I believe it needs to be renewed yearly.

General Info
    http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/car...asp#Goldstreak

Rates
    http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/car...go-Pricing.asp
    Last edited by Dr.No; 01-27-2010 at 17:40. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    USPS was about 225.00 and FedEx was just about the same as UPS but couldn't guarantee me 2 day delivery for that zip code or so they said and I didn't want to take the change. Plus that lady at UPS was awesome and they followed thru.
    How did you pack the fish? Dry ice?

Default Copper River Retail

Copper River Retail can send thru Fed-ex much cheaper then an indivdual person can. I sent a 30lb box overnight to Wyoming and it cost me 45 dollars. I would recomend to anyone to check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Copper River Retail can send thru Fed-ex much cheaper then an indivdual person can. I sent a 30lb box overnight to Wyoming and it cost me 45 dollars. I would recomend to anyone to check them out.
    Do they have a website? I tried looking up "Copper River Retail" and was unable to find that business (maybe I searched the wrong term...) Also, did you have to buy your fish from them? No offense, but that quote seems too good to be true...

It's on the corner of Dimond and King by Costco. I don't know about the website. I didn't buy my fish there it's what I caught this summer. IT suprised me also. I just went in to get a fish box and they showed me there rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    How did you pack the fish? Dry ice?
    I took each vacuum sealed package that was frozen hard, wrapped each package with a sheet of newspaper, packed it tightly. Didn't have any empty space. Put the fishbox that was lined with styrofoam in the back of my truck overnight as it was 5 degrees outside that night and shipped it at noon. No dry ice used. Fish got there still hard as a rock according to my parents.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I took each vacuum sealed package that was frozen hard, wrapped each package with a sheet of newspaper, packed it tightly. Didn't have any empty space. Put the fishbox that was lined with styrofoam in the back of my truck overnight as it was 5 degrees outside that night and shipped it at noon. No dry ice used. Fish got there still hard as a rock according to my parents.
    I was more getting at whether you shipped using refrigerated service, but it sounds like you didn't. Given the time of year and the destination, what you did seems entirely reasonable for it to arrive in good condition. Sounds pretty similar to what I did, as far as packaging is concerned (though I didn't have any styrofoam insulation; I'm sure that would've helped some). Congratulations!

~Russp17 ... still seems too good to be true, but good for you for getting that rate.