Thread: Any Lab Owners Seen This

Default Any Lab Owners Seen This

After taking my 5 1/2 month old lab to doggie play time last night I noticed that his tear gland was all swelled up. First thing this morning it was popped back in until he started rubbing his eye and caused it come back out. After taking him to the vet this morning they are telling me that he has a condition called Cherry Eye and several scratches on his cornea, because of the scratches they couldnt give any steroids till they heal. So now the dog wearing a cone and having ointment applied directly to the eye six times a day. After doing some research not really liking what im reading about this condition. Anyone else out there have a lab that has had this? Did it heal itself or did you have to have the surgery.

Surgery is probably your best option. Conservative treatments aren't a guarantee that the gland will remain in place. Your vet would be the best one to give you advice on this. It' s also not advisable to breed dogs that have had cherry eye it's feared that it is a hereditary problem. If your lab is from a reputable breeder I'd suggest letting your breeder know that your lab has come up with this condition. The breeder may want to know, just for future breeding plans.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Thanks, Huntress
    Im thinking most likely was caused by trauma ie.. another dogs foot in the eye as he was playing with six other dogs directly before I noticed it. I will contact the breeder though. Im hoping the inflamation will go down and that it will reposition itself as it did last night. I did discuss the options with the vet and I hope it wont come down to surgery but time will tell.

I am not an expert but I have seen/heard of it in friends dogs. I didnt think it was caused by trauma though. Your vet is the best bet for advice as to the course of action.

Not to scare you but my experience was a bit more dramatic.....
    My Chessie had what I thought was cherry eye, but it turned out to be a form of cancer that produced the same result. It came back progressively quicker each time after surgery. It took three surgeries starting with the small gland and taking the third eye lid, finally the fourth surgery taking the whole eye. It seems to have been cured. It has not come back in any visible way for about 10 months now.
    I would have been thankful for cherry eye instead. I think.

Picture is ofter final surgery
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would have been thankful for cherry eye instead.
    Yeah you arent kidding Went back to the vet today the scratches on the Cornea healed and now got some eyedrops to help with the inflammation so keeping my fingers crossed. Cartilage isnt torn so hopefully once the swelling subsides it will pop back in place. Feeling optimistic at this point that it will heal without the surgery. Thinking im done going to doggie play time after this.

I had a young lab get cherry eye years ago. The doc did the surgery, everything held together with a stitch or two, and she wore a lampshade for a week or so. The dog died a few years ago at 10 years of cancer, she never had a problem with that eye.