Thread: Peep sight alternatives?

Default Peep sight alternatives?

Well nothing much around here for entertainment so I have a habit of picking up magazines at the poor excuse for a PX. I picked up one of the archery rags and it had an article about peep sight alternatives. This was very interesting to me because I have trouble focusing on the pins with a peep. I am curious if anyone has tried any of the "alternatives".

Hind Sight

Eradicator

Kingsway Triad

Peep Eliminator

I am very anti-peep site for a lot of reasons that cannot really be explained without a demonstration but I have a system that works for me that has given me very good success for almost 20 years. I use a kisser button but then in addition I have another knocking point a few inches above that (sized differently for everyone) that I touch my nose on. This gives me two firm points of contact that when combined with my sights gives me a tripod like anchor point. You may notice that your anchor point actually changes at different yardages with a peep sight, this keeps your anchor point locked in place no matter what distance you are shooting at. The changing anchor point is something that has to be shown in person but every peep sights shooter I've shown this to has noticed they do change their anchor point when shown how they shoot with a peep.

So this works very well for me, but I've never seen anyone else use it.

Default Anchor Sight

I use this one
    http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pub...horSight.shtml

It works great for me. I can see it well for setup and then don't really notice it other than peripherally.

Any idea where I can go and try a few of these?

a knocking point should be pennies at your local archery shop, or free in your parts box.

Default Peep sight alternatives

I've found the No-Peep by Timberline to be very effective. I've used it for 7 to 8 years with no problems. Initially aligning the no-peep is a pain and is best done with two people, but I have had little problem after alignment. I also helps ensure that your grip is the same each time. The No-Peep alignment is specific to each user and it is difficult to let someone use your setting. I was having problems with vison through the peep sight, especially in low light -- the No-Peep solved that. If you would like to see the set up feel free to PM me. I live in Chugiak. www.timberline-archery.com/

Default +1 No Peep

In high school I anchored my pointer finger in the corner of my mouth and just had 3 pins. I hunted pheasants on the fly, but I also shot about 100 arrows a day 3-4 days a week.

Didn't touch a bow for many years other than the occasional arrow with some cocky kid's bow to take some money from him and "encourage" him to practice more

Forgot to send in my rifle deer app one year and barrowed my brothers Mathews w/ peep and a release so I could still go with the guys. Shot it well, but hated the peep. I wore glasses to add to the issues.

Dec 07 when I got back to L48 I bought a new Bowtech and was going to try the Hindsight, but the Scheels store didn't have one on hand, but did have the no peep someone had returned. I decided to give it a try. I like it. I also find I shoot a little better if I wear contacts.

Some say it is not quite as accurate as a peep. That may be true, but when I shoot 3d or antelope or deer they have all died. No low light issues, no obstructed view, no focusing issues.

Alot of times I don't even look at the no peep anymore, if I do it is just a last second glance before I release.

I think a kisser button would probably be nearly as good.

I think where this newer tech comes into play is 30+ yard shots become significantly more accurate and takes less practice for anyone to be a "good" shot.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
    I am very anti-peep site for a lot of reasons that cannot really be explained without a demonstration but I have a system that works for me that has given me very good success for almost 20 years. I use a kisser button but then in addition I have another knocking point a few inches above that (sized differently for everyone) that I touch my nose on. This gives me two firm points of contact that when combined with my sights gives me a tripod like anchor point. You may notice that your anchor point actually changes at different yardages with a peep sight, this keeps your anchor point locked in place no matter what distance you are shooting at. The changing anchor point is something that has to be shown in person but every peep sights shooter I've shown this to has noticed they do change their anchor point when shown how they shoot with a peep.

So this works very well for me, but I've never seen anyone else use it.

My friend is a die-hard archer and has also used this method for quite awhile. One anchor point touching the corner of his mouth, another anchor point touching slightly to the side of the tip of his nose. From that point it's just a matter of putting his sight pin where he wants it.

Default Hind sight

I purchased a hindsight last year. I did a lot of homework on this sight and it was all possitive, however I did not care for the sight. Just my opinion. I payed $125 + shipping and only used it for two weeks. I'll ship it to you for $75
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Any idea where I can go and try a few of these?
    What? you can't just run down to the local Iraqi or afganni.. pro shop?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    What? you can't just run down to the local Iraqi or afganni.. pro shop?

Do you have your bow over there Lujon?
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Unfortunately no, I don't think a archery club was ever set up here so I didn't try and drag it over. I am trying to talk a couple of the guys at the hospital into taking advantage of the bowtech deal so I can at least borrow one!

I thought about the hindsight but I am affraid it may be illegal for AK since it glows