Thread: 308 Marlin express velocity 16 barrel?

Default 308 Marlin express velocity 16 barrel?

I just picked up a marlin lever in the 308 Marlin express with a 16 tube I think they call it their trapper? I see on Hornady web site that they list the 160 FTX at 2660/2513 with a listed test barrel at 24 Would some of the ballistic experts dare guess what velocity I am getting with the 16 barrel I do not have a chronograph.

Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Montana338 View Post
    I just picked up a marlin lever in the 308 Marlin express with a 16 tube I think they call it their trapper? I see on Hornady web site that they list the 160 FTX at 2660/2513 with a listed test barrel at 24 Would some of the ballistic experts dare guess what velocity I am getting with the 16 barrel I do not have a chronograph.

Montana
    I have a guess, but I would love to see some actual numbers. I suspect that due to the nature of this cartridge and the type of powder selected for it that there will be more loss than is normally expected. I would not be surprised to find the velocity is 2200-2250 fps from the 16 inch barrel, but I would love to hear your report.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I have a guess, but I would love to see some actual numbers. I suspect that due to the nature of this cartridge and the type of powder selected for it that there will be more loss than is normally expected. I would not be surprised to find the velocity is 2200-2250 fps from the 16 inch barrel, but I would love to hear your report.
    1Cor15:19
    Like I mentioned in my first post hornady list the velocity at 2660/2513 with the test barrel being 24 I was wondering if the second number (2513) was out of marlins standard length barrel in this caliber -(22"). You could well be right on with those numbers you have mentioned. I picked it up for a saddle gun and will carry more than shoot and probably would not use it for a designated hunting situation.

Thanks
    Momtana

Quote Originally Posted by Montana338 View Post
    Like I mentioned in my first post hornady list the velocity at 2660/2513 with the test barrel being 24 I was wondering if the second number (2513) was out of marlins standard length barrel in this caliber -(22"). You could well be right on with those numbers you have mentioned. I picked it up for a saddle gun and will carry more than shoot and probably would not use it for a designated hunting situation.

Thanks
    Momtana
    2660 is velocity in fps and 2513 is kinetic energy in ft-lbs. I think that 2200 fps with a 160 grain bullet is deadly as a hunting rifle for many types of game. That is identical to 30/30 ballistics and IMO there are no flies on the 30/30. I would use it with no qualms in a designated hunting situation, YMMV.

2660 is velocity in fps and 2513 is kinetic energy in ft-lbs. I think that 2200 fps with a 160 grain bullet is deadly as a hunting rifle for many types of game. That is identical to 30/30 ballistics and IMO there are no flies on the 30/30. I would use it with no qualms in a designated hunting situation, YMMV.

You make a good point regarding this calibers potential. 38 years ago I harvested my first whitetail with a 30-30 open sighted model 94 with (I think Winchester silver tip 170 gr. Ammo) the ballistics must be fairly close?
    Montana

My dad hunted moose with a model 94 30-30 for years and bagged his share.

I have an idea about your velocity but a chrony is needed to get the real answers. Personally I don't think you're going to lose 58fps per inch as suggested by the 2200fps guess below.

I only lost 80fps between two .308's, one with a 24" and the other with a 20", same load.

I would love to hear your report.
    I imagine it would be either and BANG, BOOM, or CRACK (or any other old sit-com batman screen word) just like any other rifle report.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    My dad hunted moose with a model 94 30-30 for years and bagged his share.

I have an idea about your velocity but a chrony is needed to get the real answers. Personally I don't think you're going to lose 58fps per inch as suggested by the 2200fps guess below.

I only lost 80fps between two .308's, one with a 24" and the other with a 20", same load.
    I could well be wrong Marshall, but I've seen funny things with velocity and barrel length changes. I doubt the ammo will get 2660 in a 24 inch barreled production rifle, perhaps in a pressure barrel or such, but unlikely in a Marlin rifle IMO. I expect less than 2600 fps from the factory ammo. Compound that with the nature of progressive powders used by Hornady to get high velocity in the smaller case and I think 40 fps per inch is very reasonable expectation at that length. I've no personal experience with 16 inch barreled rifles, but I've shot a lot of 14 inch Contenders and I am basing my expectations upon that experience. I readily admit I could be wrong, but I would expect a lot more than 160 fps difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I imagine it would be either and BANG, BOOM, or CRACK (or any other old sit-com batman screen word) just like any other rifle report.
    I admit it, you got me good!

It will be an interesting outcome for sure. Perhaps someone can chime in that has shot a 223 out of a 16" and a longer version with some data.

You are correct about the longer burning powders that seem to be available to Hornady. They're getting crazy velocities with extended burn time and normal pressures. If that's their trick in the FTX then the pressure will dump before it gets up to speed.