Thread: Who uses air guns for target and small game?

Default Who uses air guns for target and small game?

Just for shooting fun, the air gun is a lot of fun and significantly cheaper to shoot.
    Rifles and pistols every type ,even air soft, which may supprize you in accuricy and function and weight. ( not the cheap plastic junk)
    Grant you there is no noise ner kick, but you can shoot in the house .
    My son and I have a good time any time .
    There are some questions though concerning hunting with pellet guns .
    and I was wondering about it.

I've been using a Daisy 717 for close to 30 years. It's a side cocking "target" model, launching pellets at well under 500 fps. Lots of plastic, but incredibly accurate, and has proven to be lots more durable than I could have guessed. It's the "secret" behind all my handgun shooting. Regular indoor bullseye-style practice.

To tell you how accurate it is, I shoot a hole in a blank piece of paper, then use the hole for my target at 20 feet.

I use it outdoors a lot too, with witnessed kills on voles to a little over 50 paced-off feet. It's munched every red squirrel head I've hit with it, too. Pop, whap, dead. I have absolutely no doubt that it would brain snowshoe hares within its range. Everyone is in love with high vel, but with good shooting, it's just not necessary for head shots. I'll take super accuracy any day.

I haven't checked, but as recenly as a year ago the latest version of the model is still available today for something under $100 as I recall. It can be scoped, too.

Sometimes I think of getting a high grade target model from Beeman, but the price scares me and I go back to shooting my cheapy. I'll settle for plastic at the lower price, because there's just no way a gun that costs more than five times as much could be any more accurate in my hand.

Air rifles are the perfect trigger practice from the back deck. I use the heck out of mine.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

i use a walther lg 300 xt 177 cal air rifle match air rifle for indoor match and basic rifle pratice and a air arms 410 22.cal air rifle for small game and pest control

The regs say air rifle for hunting must have rifled barrels. Was looking into it a couple years ago, but not legal in town they say, even for shooting feral rabbits. So never bought an air rifle. Plus wouldn't trust eating them anyways and the dog has killed two on her own. Just a heads up though.

Default thanks for the input guys

I've got a beeman .22 R1 thinking the hi power would give better range , but the reverse is true. The stronger spring tends to shake the gun a bit throwing off the accuricy. The R7 is too lite. your right, accuricy is the main thing. There are a lot of new companies now that make the beman second class. I've got gas powered guns as well and they are a lot of fun. I have a minor vision imparment, so with out glasses my son can out shoot me ,which keeps the challange up .
    I have bunnies here but I don't need them for food yet, they keep the cyoties comming back every nite almost , I enjoy the music.
    Though I live in the wine country on 2 and 1/2 acres my neighbors are city folk and shooting around here even he pellet gun getts their dander up. So I keep the peace. The cyoteies sing right at their bed room window. ha ha
    I have an indoor shooting range for the pellet guns with a motorized target retrever , so we have fun .
    I usually take a good target andmake copies and print on both sides and really make use of the paper. (just kidding )

most of the air rifles comeing into the states from diff makers around the world have rifled barrels and some have more power than the so called british version of the air rifles that have a 12 ft pds level compared to the american power levels of 22 pd or more in the rifle power factor

plus most of the better air rifles are what is called pcp typle that use a form of co2 air as power unit ..

Default Different brands... same gun... all made in China

Just as a heads up... buying a "name-brand" doesn't necessarily get you anything.

This is the break-barrel Crossman "Storm" rifle that I bought from Wal-Mart...

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifle...rrel/C1K773932

This is the break-barrel Remington "Vantage" rifle that my dad bought through Cabelas for twice the price...

http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-1789.html

Except for the lazer engraved names on the side and the fact that his has a glossy stock finish with some pressed "checkering" on it, these two rifles are the same thing, made at the same Chinese plant.

So, just be wary of going after the mid-range air rifles offered out there. They are often just the same thing you can buy at Wal-Mart for a hundred bucks.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default I use them all the time.

I haven't taken them hunting yet, but I probably will this year. I've got a Crosman Quest 1000 and a Gamo viper express. They get a lot of trigger time in the back yard, as well as a few others for the kids.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I just bought and have already modified a Crosman 1377 pellet pistol. I practice in my basement into a homemade trap. I grew up hunting whitetail in western New York but have been away from it for a long time. I have printed out a bunch of targets/photos of deer, caribou and pigs. I have a Leaper red dot scope mounted on the 1377 and will practice shot placement in the relative comfort of my basement until I can get to the range with my Encore pistol in 7mm-08.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_T_-DdmCec5...600-h/2078.jpg
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T_-DdmCec5...600-h/2116.JPG

The Benjamin, Sheridan in 22 is quite a hunter. Mac 1 airguns can improve them a bit. You can vary the velocity level, but 12 pumps really wacks small game. Accurate too. Not optimal for a scope though, the peep sight woks good for hunting, target.

The R1 177 is great as well, I can hit aspirins at 17 yds offhand and pierce a steel cofee can. The Rekord trigger is very good. arpinge, you have to use the "artillery hold' to get it to shoot well. Free recoil and a light hold allows for consistent grouping; holding it farmer tight will not.

Expect both to last you a life time and pass on to grand kids with proper care, lubrications and no dry firing.
    the cheaper springes are fun, but disposable. Think timex, rolex, or does that date me?

I have a Crosmman CO2 1377 and scope, shot a bunch of field mice out of the shed, fun gun as well.

I use Duct seal from homedepot in wood box as a pellet trap, works great and is quiet.

Hope that helps!

I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but I would like to know whether any of you air gun enthusiasts use your rifles or pistols in cold weather. Cold like single digits on the Fahrenheit scale. If so, do you experience any performance loss? Do the pump type work better in cold weather than the spring type?

Mac1 puts a cold weather seal in the Sheridans, otherwise they bleed off in the cold...
    Springs have various greas in them that reatard the action...

CO2 has probs in cw as well..

My girls both have a couple Anschutz Air rifles and I have a blast shooting them. They will shoot in the same hole every time. We have just enough room to set up an official length air rife range in the basement - I just wish I could shoot like they do.

In the days of black powder, air-powered guns were used for hunting quite often taking deer-sized game (small deer, I am sure). I recall this from some reading I did several years ago. I don't know of any manufacturers making the caliber of bullets used by those gun nowadays.

Lost Sheep

PostScript: Edit:
    I did a quick research. Dennis Quackenbush makes a .458 caliber air rifle delivering 500 ft-lbs energy

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

here's a picture of a Western Buffalo taken by such a gun
    http://www.bigboreairguns.com/07bisonhunt.htm

go figure! 17 caliber for voles. .457 and .458 for buffalo

San Yang makes air rifles, one has these specifications:
    170, 180, 190, 200, 225 grain
    cal. Single shot. Caliber .45
    Barrel diameter 0.454
    Barrel Length: 21.65"
    Overall Length: 42.1"
    velocity 650 fps with 180gr.
    Weight: 7.1 Lbs.
    Max fill pressure 3000 PSI.
    Shots per fill: 5-7 Fill Adapter included.

I hunted squirrels for years with a RWS model 48 side cocking gun. It was as accurate to 35 yards as any 22 I have ever owned.

I think I need another one! Maybe!

I have a Beeman .177 and Gamo .177 rifles. Mainly for taking Grouse and Bunnies in our housing area. My sons have had great success in the past years with Grouse and I had to cut them off bunny's unless they could find someone to take them. A dozen bunnies a year is plenty for us. I also have a Crossman .177 pump action pistol I take on occassion for Ptarmigan while moose/caribou hunting.

Air rifles will definitely keep you sharp. I have a few springers, Beeman R7, HW97 both in .177 then an R9 in .20, and a Falcon PCP in .22. The .20 and .22 do great on rabbits.

I have a nice little range off the deck that goes 15-55 yds, with some hanging targets as well as a target frame that is set out at 25yds. The best targets I have are the orange plastic practice golf balls hanging from string, 20,30,40 and one at 55yds. Very fun to shoot, when they are swaying with a breeze and you can poke them offhand at the longer ranges you know you are keeping your skills sharp. Low cost and convenience make buying a quality rifle worth every penny.

www.straightshooters.com has some nice rifles and they are great to deal with. I have a Beeman R7 with a peep sight on it that is just so much fun to shoot, very low power but really accurate. That one is around 650 fps in .177 so not a hunting gun, but the low power and peep sight will really test your skills on the swinging targets.