Thread: Lowrance - HDS-8 Fishfinder/GPS Chartplotter

Default Lowrance - HDS-8 Fishfinder/GPS Chartplotter

Has anyone used any of the Lowrance Fishfinder/GPS Chartplotter's? I'm looking for an Alaskan review and considering the HDS-8 for my Phantom Sport Jon. While I don't expect to use the fish finder function, I'd prefer to have it for resale later down the road should I decide to upgrade/change, etc.

Thanks in advance.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

I bought the HDS-5 model last year, have liked it, and have had no problems using it. Initially I had a tough time getting the right transducer because many web sites weren't clear on which model xducer was the right one for this plotter. Once I got confirmation from both Lowrance (very tough to get on the phone) and Cabelas, then I was off to the races.

Make sure you measure your actual cable path to see if the provided cable to the xducer is long enough. For me, the cable attached to the xducer wasn't long enough so I purchased an extension cable to make up the difference. I also bought the Navtronics charts to make it fully functional for the area I fish.

Installation was easy, and setup was easy to get it running how I wanted. The manual also contained all the info I needed to configure the sonar and plotter operations to my preferences.....including setting it up so it would not interfere with my Garmin fishfinder.

My guess is the HDS-8 will be bigger and better for you. I just couldn't justify the additional cost at the time after buying the boat and buying all the necessary gear & electronics.