Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide Needed?

Default Guide Needed?

OK so I am wading through what seems like a vastly over complicated set of Alaska hunting and fishing regs. One of the guys I work with once did a travel nurse assingment to Alaska and told me that if you are not a resident you must hunt with a local or hire a guide. I have been trying to find out if this is true by reading the regs but haven't found it. Does this mean that for the first year if I want to take my beagle out and bust a hare or two I have to go with a local or hire a guide? Or does that just apply to big game (which seems much more reasonable)?

You only need a guide for brown/grizzly, mt goat, dall sheep. Everything else your good solo as non resident

No, you will not have to hire a guide. Non-residents only have to hire a registered guide if they are hunting brown/grizzly bear, goat, or sheep. For all other hunting - both small and large game - you will legally be allowed to hunt without a guide. If you're only hoping to chase small game at first, you can get a non-resident small game license for a fairly reasonable price. For large game you'll need a full non-resident hunting license along with the requisite big game tags, which can get spendy in a hurry. Regardless, you won't be needing a guide with the exception of the aforementioned species.

OK thanks very much. Just what I wanted to know. At first I just want to stick to small game, fishing and maybe predators. I know there are lots of fox in AK and that you all have wolves, how about coyotes? Are the wolves spread all over the state are just in some areas? We have plenty of wolves here in Wisconsin but shooting one legaly is out of the question.

Emily,

Predator hunting/trapping is a whole different ball of wax up here. We don't have the populations that you are used to in the lower 48 and they are more weary.
    Things that work down there won't necessarily work up here, although many are convinced that they'll come to Alaska and be the next best predator hunter of Alaska. There is a whole new learning curve once you get up here...but you'll find many who will be more than happy to show you the ropes.

In my 40 years, I have yet to see a cat in the wild up here. And here it was a couple of weeks ago a guy got two in one stand....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Nonresident small game $20. Nonresident fishing $145.

I just bought my second fishing license - a bit painful.

*** Oh gosh I hope you didn't get the impression that I am full of myself and think I am one of those "next best predator hunters"? That is not me at all. I am new to predatator hunting myself and have only managed to take about a dozen coyotes so far.
    I realize I don't know much at all about Alaska hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Emily,

Predator hunting/trapping is a whole different ball of wax up here. We don't have the populations that you are used to in the lower 48 and they are more weary.
    Things that work down there won't necessarily work up here, although many are convinced that they'll come to Alaska and be the next best predator hunter of Alaska. There is a whole new learning curve once you get up here...but you'll find many who will be more than happy to show you the ropes.

In my 40 years, I have yet to see a cat in the wild up here. And here it was a couple of weeks ago a guy got two in one stand....

Oh no, not at all! It's just something I have noticed over the years. You'll see it on here from time to time...

Quote Originally Posted by PMFB-RN View Post
    *** Oh gosh I hope you didn't get the impression that I am full of myself and think I am one of those "next best predator hunters"? That is not me at all. I am new to predatator hunting myself and have only managed to take about a dozen coyotes so far.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Small game hunting your first year is a great way to get acquainted with the ground, the weather, and the big animals. While I think of myself as a "big game hunter," the truth is that's a sideline to my 100 days or so a year on the small stuff. Between rabbits, ptarmigan and ducks, there's no contest for time afield.

As for the predators, most of the hunters I know are truly fox hunters, with the other stuff thrown in as the highlights they talk about.

Did I mention that all Ladies who reside in Sunrise, Alaska get FREE Guide services. All of the men here own Rafting, Hunting, or Fishing Guiding Companies.

I know there are lots of fox in AK and that you all have wolves, how about coyotes? Are the wolves spread all over the state are just in some areas?
    There are wolves present across most of the state, but for most hunters they are a target of opportunity. They're a tough animal to intentionally target, but you never know when you'll cross one while out hunting or hiking. As for coyotes, we do indeed have them, but as Huntress noted, they are very wary - in part because of the presence of wolves, thus making coyotes a prey species in addition to being a predator. Most hunters up here don't get a dozen coyotes in a lifetime, let alone in a short amount of time when they're beginners. There are exceptions, of course, but it takes practice. I'm new to it as well, and have come home empty handed more often than not. Lynx can also be called in when in areas of high hare abundance. There are also fox, of course, but even these can be very wary critters. With all of these things, read the regulations closely, then read them again...and again before going afield. Season dates change from season to season and from imaginary line to imaginary line. What is legal here might not be legal ten miles down the trail. It's a bit complicated at first, but it'll make sense as you put some time in here.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Did I mention that all Ladies who reside in Sunrise, Alaska get FREE Guide services. All of the men here own Rafting, Hunting, or Fishing Guiding Companies.
    *** Uh, just how long has it been since you had a date? In my experience nothing men give to girls is really free.
    You do crack me up though. A bunch of the nurses I work with are reading these messages as well. We have a ton of single ladies here who seem to enjoy reading our discussions.

*** Uh, just how long has it been since you had a date?

In round numbers, roughly, 10 years, 4 months, 17 days, 5 hours and 22 minutes.

In my experience nothing men give to girls is really free.
    and vise versa .... I have found out

Emily, I only just now figured out that you are too new on the site to receive PMs so I mistakenly sent an email about handguns and grip sizes. Check out an older Ruger Redhawk since they have the smallest handled large revolver out there.

In my experience nothing men give to girls is really free.
    Then be not a girl, be a lady.....a lady warrior. Be she who stands for her truth. Create the world as you would have it be, and not as others assert it to be. Be willing to Dream the Impossible Dream. Be willing to manifest your own destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Then be not a girl, be a lady.....a lady warrior. Be she who stands for her truth. Create the world as you would have it be, and not as others assert it to be. Be willing to Dream the Impossible Dream. Be willing to manifest your own destiny.
    Thats the worst pick up line I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    Thats the worst pick up line I've ever heard.

That is because it is NOT that, But the advise of an old man who has lived his dream, to a young lady about to embark on her dream. It is the advise of a man who 40 years ago next week, came to a different Alaska, himself 23 years old, to live a different dream. (The dreamers change, the dream is eternal).

*** Uh, just how long has it been since you had a date? In my experience nothing men give to girls is really free.

Too funny! Doesn't sound like a woman who grew up in the sticks. Of course AGL4's sort of desperation is more of a sledge hammer than your usual subtle flirt. I get it AGL4, I have RN's intro and the posts with my own eyes.

As Huntress mentioned..............definitely not referring to you on this. Huntress and I have been snickering a little in private about some of the nonresident folks that are going to come up to here and show us what we're doing wrong after all these years. Emily, I have been impressed by your enthusiam and the humble nature of the questions in your posts. Your desire to learn is obvious and refreshing. That is the way to do things....you will have no problems finding hunting companions who are willing to show you around. Sounds like you will do well with your background. Good luck, this is a great place to live. =)

PMFB-RN

The wife and I came here when Tracy was working as a travel nurse, she is now the night super at a major area hospital. Over the years I've acted as guide through lots of "Alaska firsts" with her travel staff. I've taken folks on everything from there first hunt to first time shooting a bow/gun. Even had a young woman from Atlanta who wanted to learn how to run a chain saw, took her out wood cutting, most fun doing that chore ever. As far as the fellas go up here, your odds are good but the goods are odd, if you'd rather have a couple show up around just let me know.

PS We are from the Upper peninsula of Michigan, kinda used to be right around the corner from you.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast