Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gear tester

Default gear tester

I am looking into testing fishing products for companies and evaluate them. At 17 years of age I have fished almost every day of my life that I possibly can. You may contact me at Andy-isaak@live.com
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 01-26-2010 at 15:20. Reason: Made a few gramar and spelling corrections.

Default Oars

I have a rowing seat and oars that need to be tested on the Kenai......

I need to test your pot pulling abilities.
    Tennessee

Default Pro-Staff

Your best bet is to establish yourself as a outdoorsman, the best way would be the guiding industry. Then contact individual companies about being a member of their pro-staff. Occassionally you'll get gear to test, but you'll also get good deals on their products.

In order to be in a position to test equipment there are a few things that you will need. For the most part, a company wants an equipment tester to be someone that has a lot of experience fishing, someone who has their own boat and spends a lot of time (and money) chasing fish. This person will also be able to eloquently describe the characteristics of the product and be able to provide precise feedback about how it works. Generally it takes years on the water to know enough to be able to give this feedback.

In addition, after being able to give this great feedback, companies typically choose people to do their testing that are in higher profile positions. Someone that can produce pictures of success of these prototype products by the time the product hits the shelves. You would be at an advantage to find a way to make yourself higher profile in a positive light. Some of these guys are tournament winners, others aren't that competitive but are just very good fisherman. So be the best, spend lots of time on the water, learn the water, learn your fish. Be the best there is, spend tens of thousands of dollars investing to do this, let your personal relationships suffer etc. After you have done all of that, then and perhaps only then you may be in a position to get a few free lures and rods or reels.

Aside from perhaps the few pro bass fishermen that consistently win tournaments, it is much much cheaper to just buy your equipment and enjoy it. Imagine having to write a paper after every time you go fishing to the company to describe to them what you did and how the product worked. Much better to just go and buy whatever tackle you want.

Every time I have been given a "free" piece of equipment I have ended up spending far more money testing the product than what it was worth. The Axis in my avatar, $800 bow for "free", axis deer. Not at all free.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    I have a rowing seat and oars that need to be tested on the Kenai......
    what is the seat for i live on the kenai

Quote Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
    Every time I have been given a "free" piece of equipment I have ended up spending far more money testing the product than what it was worth. The Axis in my avatar, $800 bow for "free", axis deer. Not at all free.
    who sent you the "free" bow

Ha, look at that last reply... another kid looking for free stuff.

At 17, and now years after that me and some of my friends have spent more time fishing than anything else. I can say that I have caught almost every species of fish possible to catch in Alaska in almost every method, including ocean varieties, but I am still far away from being a gear tester.

Like the below methods, the only people I know that are sent gear to test are reputable guides with years of experience. A company isn't going to get their gear and be able to tell the public that "some 17 year old from Alaska says its okey dokey." Keep fishing every day of your life till you are about 40, making a career out of it, then maybe they will send your business free equipment to check out.

And the seat... its for you to row while he fishes....

Quote Originally Posted by corbanzo View Post
    Ha, look at that last reply... another kid looking for free stuff.

At 17, and now years after that me and some of my friends have spent more time fishing than anything else. I can say that I have caught almost every species of fish possible to catch in Alaska in almost every method, including ocean varieties, but I am still far away from being a gear tester.

Like the below methods, the only people I know that are sent gear to test are reputable guides with years of experience. A company isn't going to get their gear and be able to tell the public that "some 17 year old from Alaska says its okey dokey." Keep fishing every day of your life till you are about 40, making a career out of it, then maybe they will send your business free equipment to check out.

And the seat... its for you to row while he fishes....
    hey shut up im the 17 year old your MAKING FUN OF i live in lake clark national park and have fished all my life i have given up more than you know my parents divorced when i was 5 and iwas a dopted andforyour information im not just looking for freee stuff i have fished every day i possibly can and i am not going to be barked t by some old man and this 17 year old has fished with people from around the world andis most likley a lot better thn you so dont be throwing me aside like trash and dont underestimate me or yourin fora surprise i dont car if u have caught bigfooot just because you "think" you have caught all the species of fish dooesnt mean i know nothing or that i am not qualified to e a gear tester i am probably on the top 5 most qualified

The seat is for you to sit in and row my raft while i fish!

Quote Originally Posted by icefishboy View Post
    what is the seat for i live on the kenai

icefishboy - First of all, welcome aboard. Second of all, relax just a bit. Although some of the responses have been sent with a laugh, the truth is that most folks here are trying to be helpful. If you want to be a gear tester, posting a sentence on a forum isn't going to do it. Getting involved in the industry and making a name for yourself might. It's not a critique of your fishing skills - it's just a reality of how these things work. Learn to take a shot or two without taking it personally and stick around a while. Perhaps you can teach us a thing or two and maybe learn a few things while you're at it. Leave the competitiveness aside, though. We're mostly a friendly group here and just like to talk fishing with a laugh and a smile.

Default serious note

On the serious side, if anyone on the forums were interested in seeking people out to be gear testers, I'm sure they'd want someone who could type correctly and efficiently. Even if you are in a rush, it doesn't take but a few seconds to look back at what you've written and correct it. Part of being a gear tester is being able to write a review of the product. If you can't really type fast without mistakes, deadlines may be a problem for you. This is all with a positive constructive attitude, I'm just saying, take the few extra seconds and make sure you at least finish words. Sorry to say but you have demonstrated every trait people tend to avoid when hiring.

Icefishboy

You sound like an ambitious young man. You may have alot to offer with your knowledge. Heck, I've learned a thing or two about fishing local from a few folks your age. Three things I would like to say:

Don't get too excited about what some folks say. Some people just want to knock others down. I guess they forgot what its like to be a young man or some folks use the word kid. I'm guilty of it. I have two boys. Take the advise positive, because perception of what people think verses what they know makes all the difference. Think about what they said and how they said it.

Three things the younger generation today have lost. Patience, Acting Mature/Proper Manners and Work Ethic/Dedication. If you have these traits it will get you way ahead of your peers and adults for that manner.

There is a great market for young folks that can sell themselves and a product. We see it everywhere in todays world. There is a TV show on the outdoor channel called Generation X. It caters to people your age. All the younger folks on that show set a great example and reach an audience that the older folks can't. Michael Wadell started as a camera man and his attitude and manners got him where he is today. I suggest, that you email Generation X. Write a good letter, send a few pics and tell they what you want to do and maybe they can help you. You live in Alaska. Everyone loves Alaska. Don't pretend to be a know it all, we all learn something everyday. Tell them what you know, and how much you love it. If you got what it takes, maybe they might be interested. If not, I'm sure they will give you guidance.

This world is a tough world. No one will hand you anything. You have to go and get it for yourself. Don't get discouraged, and learn something from everything.

I have tested a few things as a charter baot captain, some good, some nothing special... They didn't scare the fish away! I was put in that position because of who knows me. I have gone to trade/ sportshows and made these opportunities for myself, luckily it only cost me my time, as the boat was chartered those days. These guys are right, cool your jets, and put yourself in the right position for these opportunities. I haven't recieved a dime for doing it. Become a guide, then the lead guide for a reputable business or business owner, network... with a positive attitude, toughen up your skin and take the criticism like a man. After all as a tester you'd be telling them their new catchem all is a P.O.S. Or win a bunch of big bass tourneys or something unrelated to Alaska. Good Luck

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have been sent stuff to test. small things.. first thing i did was tossem in a room full of kids...

what came out alive went out in the field with me...

what came out of the trailer, and pack in one peice got tested
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

bowdy,

You might want to start with some of the "adults" on this forum before you critique the spelling and typing of a 17 year old. This is also written with a positive constructive attitude, I'm just saying......

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    On the serious side, if anyone on the forums were interested in seeking people out to be gear testers, I'm sure they'd want someone who could type correctly and efficiently. Even if you are in a rush, it doesn't take but a few seconds to look back at what you've written and correct it. Part of being a gear tester is being able to write a review of the product. If you can't really type fast without mistakes, deadlines may be a problem for you. This is all with a positive constructive attitude, I'm just saying, take the few extra seconds and make sure you at least finish words. Sorry to say but you have demonstrated every trait people tend to avoid when hiring.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

icefishboy.. Read chico's post about a 1000 times, follow his advice and you will be there before you know it..Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i have been sent stuff to test. small things.. first thing i did was tossem in a room full of kids...

what came out alive went out in the field with me...

what came out of the trailer, and pack in one peice got tested
    i like the way you do it it is effective and it works

Listen what people are saying... Give it time. It has taken me years to develop a good resume and name out there in the outdoor world. Some of the sponsors I have now I get nothing free but at a discounted price. Some stuff I do. HERE is one big thing... They want there product to been seen by allot of people when you are using it. IE on TV, Guiding clients, own a business. The question allot of times when you contact them is "what are you going to do for them in exchange"?
    Don't get discourage and don't give up.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast