Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the Kimber Montana?

Default Opinions on the Kimber Montana?

I am thinking about buying a Kimber Montana in 300 wsm. I know that these rifles obviously have a good reputation, but what have your experiences been? Any issues? How is customer service at Kimber? Thanks a ton.

It will be either very good, or require a lot of work to make decent.

I bought an -06 Montana last year, and was one of the unlucky ones.

I've had a lot of feeding problems, the magazine follower gets cockeyed in the mag, and quick follow up shots are iffy. It's since gotten better with break in... once every other mag or so. This is after about 400 rounds fired, and several hundred (dummy) rounds chambered and ejected.

When I first fired it, it shot Remington core-lokt cheapo factory ammo in a nice little 7" group from a lead sled. 200 rounds of experimentation with handloading later, I was able to knock groups down to 3-4". I then bought some "Tubb's Final Finish" bore lapping bullets, shot fifty of those and wound up with 2" groups from my best target load. Another 150 or so rounds later, I found that it likes Barnes bullets- and ONLY Barnes bullets. Was finally able to get them down to about an inch to an inch and a half for the first 3 rounds. After that, I'm cleaning the bore, and letting it cool down, otherwise it starts opening up a LOT.

Is it a decent rifle? Sure, it's finally a decent rifle, but it IMO NOT a $1000+ rifle.

My buddy likes to make fun of me, since his Savage/ Leupold combo he bought the same day, same store for $800 has held sub-moa in 300WM from day one.

I've had one for 4 years and love it. It was a little picky at first but will put Barnes 165 and 168 grainers inside of an inch for 3-4 shots. It tends to walk high and left as the barrell heats after 4-5 shots. It also does extremely well with the 180 accubonds. For what it's worth it's favorite powder seems to be Ramshot Big Game. I'm looking foreward to trying some 220 partitions, might be a bit much for the twist but we shall see. It is the lightest gun in the safe and has been absolutly reliable on several hunts. It is my go to gun without question.

Default hunting rifle

I found mine is a little picky but an inch at 100 yds. wans't too hard.
    I look at mine with an eye to the whole package.
    Light as any and very reliable. Sure, groups start to open up when shot quickly but this a 7 lb. 8mm magnum (325).
    I haven't had to use more than one bullet yet so...I really like when hiking up the mnts.

Default I LOVE mine

Have a Montana in 300Winmag...with Barnes 180TSX I have gotten .45MOA once...but always under an inch if I do my part. But I dont always do my part but thats not the rifles fault I also have the Talkeetna..a fine shooter but picky about what you feed it.
    In the Bush

Quote Originally Posted by 405guy View Post
    I've had one for 4 years and love it. It was a little picky at first but will put Barnes 165 and 168 grainers inside of an inch for 3-4 shots. It tends to walk high and left as the barrell heats after 4-5 shots. It also does extremely well with the 180 accubonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akjaq View Post
    Have a Montana in 300Winmag...with Barnes 180TSX I have gotten .45MOA once...but always under an inch if I do my part. But I dont always do my part but thats not the rifles fault
    I also have the 300 win mag and used it for one season so far and was very happy with it. I have been using old Winchester failsafes in 180gr and federal premium with Barnes 180's and have been able to get under an inch if I do my part.

If I do not let the barrel cool down the shots start going up and left like 405guy said his does. That is one skinny barrel though so it is to be expected I think.

As far as feeding goes no issues there, it is smooth and I have no fears of it failing me in any situation. I shot two different black bears with it last year one at about 50 feet running and the other in the dark at 10 feet. As my friends said on the last one they never heard a bolt action go full auto. Then again I don't like a wounded bear to all of a sudden appear that close to me in the dark.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

My Kimber montana was a total piece of junk. Look at some of the problems others have had before buying one. Just do a google search for Kimber problems and see what comes up. Kimber's customer service is the worst in the shooting industry.

MY 300WSM is perfect.....shoots sub1" with Fed TSX 180s.....favorite hunting rifle.

My 270WSM is touchy on loads......only shoots Barnes TSX to 1"

My Talkeetna 375 is very goos and extemely accurate.....with 270 TSX......

I polish the feed ramp on all my rifles.....

WSM cartridges will usually never feed as smoothly as cartridges with less shoulder slope.

I have a Kimber Montana in a 270WSM. It has certain dietary needs. I shot several Winchester and Federal bullet configurations through it and finally got the Federal 150 partitions to shoot ok. I like the guns feel and finish. I recently bought a 300 WSM in the new FN Winchester S.S it feeds ammo better. I have yet to shoot it. It is about a pound heavier. If it shoots well I probably would not go back to the Kimber. Several friends of mine have had some issues with their Kimbers mainly feeding and accuracy issues. One guy had a 308 and when the last shell made its way to be picked up by the bolt jumped ship and landed loosely into the chamber or fell out.

Montana

Default Wow...

This is absolutely not what I had expected to hear from a manufacturer who bills themself as something of a premium gun maker. Do any of you have a suggestion for something in a comparable price range and around 6-6.5 pounds? Model 70 featherweight?

Default Winchester fn 70

Quote Originally Posted by smallmonzter View Post
    This is absolutely not what I had expected to hear from a manufacturer who bills themself as something of a premium gun maker. Do any of you have a suggestion for something in a comparable price range and around 6-6.5 pounds? Model 70 featherweight?
    My new (scope-less) Winchester model 70 SS 24 fluted tube weighs around 7.4 lbs. If you were to feed shell through both the Winchester and the Kimber I am sure you would go with the new Winchester. If you have not seen the new FNs they in my opinion are considerably improved. I really like the new stock and the trigger is respectable. Like I mentioned earlier I have yet to put it on paper. New $ 850.00 lower 48 pricing.

The Weatherby Ultra Lightweight lists for more money than you first mentioned, but I've found them new in the 1000-1200$ range. Used they can be found in the 7-800$ range. Perhaps one would fit the bill--standard calibers are 5 & 3/4 pounds, the magnums are 6 & 3/4 pounds.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Sea...eatherby+Ultra

This is nothing new for Kimber. Do a good search on the subject here and other forums. Some are good and others are nightmares. Roll the dice. Not for me thanks. I'll take a Sub MOA Vanguard anyday.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    The Weatherby Ultra Lightweight lists for more money than you first mentioned, but I've found them new in the 1000-1200$ range. Used they can be found in the 7-800$ range. Perhaps one would fit the bill--standard calibers are 5 & 3/4 pounds, the magnums are 6 & 3/4 pounds.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Sea...eatherby+Ultra
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    This is nothing new for Kimber. Do a good search on the subject here and other forums. Some are good and others are nightmares. Roll the dice. Not for me thanks. I'll take a Sub MOA Vanguard anyday.

Mark
    Yea Come to think of it I have a 338-06 in a Weatherby ultra-light. This is a step up from both the Winchester and the Kimber. My Kimber was one of my more challenging pieces. I personally will probably not go there again. If I did I would want to test drive first and then I would probably stay away from the short mag. Every once in a while I pick up one of my old 300 H&Hs and runs some ammo through them - all of different manufactures and gee they all cycle ammo through so smooootthh.

Montana

I got a lemon from Kimber in 270 WSM. Check out this thread on them, that said I will still buy the right one. I would have to both cycle and fire it before I would ever own another.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=52060

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I got a lemon from Kimber in 270 WSM. Check out this thread on them, that said I will still buy the right one. I would have to both cycle and fire it before I would ever own another.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=52060

Steve
    Thats a good thread to read regarding the Kimber. I think it is buyers beware issue for sure. My 270 picks the last round out of the mag. fine the other two are a little rough. I noticed you bought your wife an Alaska TI in a 270 WSM. How did that work out for you?

Montana

Default standard answer

Tikka T-3, 300wm. Spend what you save on good glass and talley rings. Better yet buy a used one already set up.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post

Mark
    +1 on the Sub MOA Vanguard.

Why does that surprise you? McDonalds hamburgers advertises how good their product is too. As with everything, let the buyer beware. Luckily you are on a great forum that is helping protect you from making a money wasting mistake.

As for Kimber, they are an over priced, under quality firearm.

Default kimber montana 7mm-08

I like mine. No problems. Shots good. Accurate out to 500 yards. Carries even better. I guess I'm just lucky.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast