Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does segregation exist in our hunting regulations?

Default Does segregation exist in our hunting regulations?

Reading several different threads I have come to the conclusion that some of us believe that there are preferred user groups among us. If you think so give an example. Such as rural preference for federal hunts come on poor is poor urban or rural. Why should one be able to hunt while another cannot.

Default Depends on how you look at it

You bring up federal and that is mandated by federal law to provide for subsistence. Nothing we can do about it. Is segregation? I don't think so, but it may be different preference. Not worth arguing over. It is not going away anytime soon, so something everyone has to deal with.

Well put Mike. Best we can do is work within the existing rules and make the most of the opportunities we have.

Thumbs down

There are many Communities (Villages) that have priority or exclusive hunting and fishing priveleges, not afforded to the rest of Alaskans. Check them out. They are State regs, not Federal. AHTNA Caribou Unit 13 is just one of them. There are more. And....more are in the making. Kenai caribou are on the chopping block and the stage is set for more. A couple of the latest proposals deal with local preference. Worth your read and responding to, if you are amind to.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Yep lots of preferred folks. Military don't have to live here a year. Disabled vets free. Folks over 60 free. Old people don't have to shoot there own meat,someone can do it for them. Poor folks get a much reduced rate license. What will they think of next

I'm staying out of this one ( disabled, vet, and proxy...lol ) so my opinion is mute (but i still pay for my liscense)

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Yep lots of preferred folks. Military don't have to live here a year. Disabled vets free. Folks over 60 free. Old people don't have to shoot there own meat,someone can do it for them. Poor folks get a much reduced rate license. What will they think of next
    I heard wolves don't even need a license!
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by sledhands View Post
    Why should one be able to hunt while another cannot.
    They shouldn't, but they do, because when we have preferred classes of hunters, they become divided hunters, and in that way, hunting can be eliminated a lot easier. I think that is the ultimate goal.

Breaks on hunting licenses, proxies, PID cards, and the like don't prevent you from hunting. Rural Preference does.

Subsistence Hunting, if it is accessible from the road system, makes no logical sense, but that's where the Feds., and the BOG, like to have it most. They get more attention that way.

Some people try to fight it, and others just drink their beer, watch TV, and let their hunting opportunities be taken away, because opposing it is too hard. (OR, so it would seem, judging from the comments so far.)

Maybe they're right though, and and it's too late to change things, so it's not an issue.

HIC!!! Just kiddin guys. (About that last part.) We're all in the same (Sinking) boat.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Antler restrictions in relation to communities and GMU's across the state immediately comes to mind. I've also heard of regulations being changed after local residents and in some cases communities refused to follow game regulations. If memory serves me correct, there was an article in the Daily News not so long ago that reported something about this. Anyone recall the story?
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

All moose hunters Ride in the back of the bus....NO EXCEPTIONS!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

yeah let's boycott

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    yeah let's boycott

yeah!!!!!

DOWN WITH HUNTING REGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Not sure if it counts or not, but I also want to mention the wolves and the expansion of the 'no hunting' corridor around Denali National Park some years back.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    Not sure if it counts or not, but I also want to mention the wolves and the expansion of the 'no hunting' corridor around Denali National Park some years back.

hey thats on its way out this year... all the ac's have props to kill it the moritorium is over and state wolves on state land will be fair game...

mostly because the agreement was five years ago... NPS would not ask for more if they gave it to them....this year they asked for more and pissed a ton of folks off.. as well they admited the wolves are breeding enough that they are leaving the park creataing new packs...

Denail Nat park is a breeding grounds for preditors... the caribou are paying for it dearly

meet on face book here

Default Thanks Vince...

I was unaware of the change to the change

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    I was unaware of the change to the change
    BOG end of FEB in Fairbanks at the west mark... or props ~55ish through 59is... equals both sides of the story to send in comments

meet on face book here

Muzzle-loader only, Archery only, youth only, Disabled vet only, Rural only.... Lots of "Only" in the reg book.

As a non resident I also have no real dog in the fight-nevertheless-I do have an opinion.
    Superficially I have no issue with 'ONLY' groups. For some reason or another they have been deemed either more needy, or less able or for whatever reason special (perhaps they are just more vocal). I know not the reasons behind the regs but I am willing to ASSUME no hanky panky is going on.
    Down deep I sometimes wonder about a system which seems to have goals that don't parallel mine. In an attempt to not make any enemies I will leave it at that.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    As a non resident
    I am willing to ASSUME no hanky panky is going on.
    I assume this is what a lot of folks think. But their assumptions are very wrong.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    There are many Communities (Villages) that have priority or exclusive hunting and fishing priveleges, not afforded to the rest of Alaskans. Check them out. They are State regs, not Federal. AHTNA Caribou Unit 13 is just one of them. There are more. And....more are in the making. Kenai caribou are on the chopping block and the stage is set for more. A couple of the latest proposals deal with local preference. Worth your read and responding to, if you are amind to.
    And...anyone is more than welcome to move to those communities and take advantage of all of the benefits afforded to residents of said communities.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast