Thread: What boat and where to buy?

Default What boat and where to buy?

I want a boat for the Kenai river and K-Bay on nice days. What boat would you suggest?... keeping in mind that I have a 20 hp motor (tillar steering/short shaft) and ≈ $5,000 to spend.

A few specific questions.

Would I be better off...

1- buying a boat that is slightly large for my motor for more room/stability and put up with the loss of speed (maybe re-prop). This way when I buy a bigger motor someday I'll have a boat to match. In this case I'd think something welded would be the better choice.

2-Buy a cheaper smaller (riveted) boat that matches my motor size and start saving up for the bigger boat?

I posted this as an afterthought on another post but figured I'd prolly get more advice if I made it a seperate post. Thanks in advance.

Door number 2.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Klamath 15 Advantage

I have an older Western with a 25 HP two stroke that is very similar to this boat as far as weight, dimensions, hull style, etc. I am happy with my setup. The Klamath 15 Advantage is welded and it's only 250 lbs. Your 20 should push it just fine with a light to moderate load. You will need to get an extension for your short shaft or a drop bracket for the boat though.
    Here is the website.
    http://www.klamathboats.com/boatPages/utility/

I just measured my motor. I think I have a 20" shaft. It measures 17 1/2" from where it would rest on the transom to the anti-cavitation plate (I think that's what you call it). It measures 20" from where it rests on the transom to about 1/2 way between the anti-cavitation plate and the prop center line. Sound like a 20"?

Default My guess is it is a short shaft.

If you were running it on an inflatable it is probably a short shaft. With a lot of manufacturers you can look at the model number which will contain an "S" or an "L" to tell you if it is for a 15" or 20" transom. The motor measurement, from the bracket to the anti-ventilation plate, won't always be this exact because as the motor is trimmed out from the transom it is effectively reducing the depth. This is why a motor with a shaft that measures 17" can have the anti-ventilation plate line up with the bottom of the boat and work properly on a 15" transom. Typically anti-ventilation plates should line up with the bottom of the boat withing a couple of inches either way depending on hull design. With a Klamath type boat you will want the anti-ventilation plate slightly below the bottom of the boat.