Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Leupold Custom shop Turrets

  1. #1
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default Leupold Custom shop Turrets

    I previously dialed in what I consider a great load in my little .308 Tactical Ruger using 175gr Bergers. In an attempt to make elevation adjustments easier I decided to give Leupold's custom shop a call and order up some turrets. Just dialing up a preset value is easier than figuring hold over or looking at a chart to figure out clicks.

    This morning I went to a local high power range that's set up to handle shots out to 500 yards. My objective was to see how the data provided to Leupold would hold up on paper with a simple turret adjustment.

    I started at 100 yards and shot one shot at each interval of 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards. This took two and a half hours because they only have a cease fire every 20 minutes and I had to move the target out for each shot. The first three shots were in my opinion very good. Shot four was a bummer. The guy to my right was shooting a cannon and his shot broke just as I committed to my trigger break, I flinched Shot five was a good hold and reflective of the drift pattern from the very light right cross wind, about 2-3 mph. I wish shot four would have been better but a redo was out of the question due to time constants.

    My elevation is calibrated out 1000 yards in 50 yard increments and from the results of this test it appears to be dead on. My windage turret is calibrated at 10mph, I left it at zero for this test.

    In closing, for the $80 that Leupold charges for a pair of elevation and windage turrets it's well worth the investment. Total spread on this group including the flier was only 2.8" This rifle groups about .25" at 100 yards.

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=59389
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Member ret25yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Unit 13
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    what was the scope? i know leoupold, but which one, I have a 4.5x14x40 that would love some turrets

    If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Good shooting Marshall, how long did it take for the turrets to come in once you ordered them? Or did you send the scope in to have them installed?

  4. #4
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    what was the scope? i know leoupold, but which one, I have a 4.5x14x40 that would love some turrets
    It's the VX-3 6.5-20x50 LR Target model with a duplex reticle. I have the VX-3 4.5-14x50 on my 300RUM with a BC reticle, if it didn't have the BC reticle I would order turrets for it too, they work great.

    http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...-range-target/

  5. #5
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Good shooting Marshall, how long did it take for the turrets to come in once you ordered them? Or did you send the scope in to have them installed?
    Thanks, I called them directly and gave them the data. The turrets arrived in less than two weeks.

    I zeroed at 100 yards, loosened the original turrets set screws and dropped these right on, piece of cake. Some models will require sending in for mods. The target model was a direct bolt on.

    I'm taking this rifle on a Texas white tail hunt Super Bowl weekend

  6. #6

    Default

    Very nice Marshal and good shooting. Thanks for sharing.

  7. #7
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    In closing, for the $80 that Leupold charges for a pair of elevation and windage turrets it's well worth the investment.
    Sorry guys, I made an error in the pricing. It's $69.95 for each of the turrets and $80.00 labor if you have a VX-II or a VX-III with finger click dials. They need to be modified to accept removable turrets.

    Thanks Montana

  8. #8

    Default

    Marshal, It looks to me like you could easily run that load out past 500 yds. Do you have any plans to see how far you can accurately stretch it out?

  9. #9
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Marshal, It looks to me like you could easily run that load out past 500 yds. Do you have any plans to see how far you can accurately stretch it out?
    Montana,

    This little 308 is shot out of a 20" barrel so it gives up a some velocity. It's running 2575fps with the 175gr Berger through the Chrony placed at 8 feet. It's still moving 1700fps at 580 yards and that will be my max deer range for bullet performance.

    Personally I have never taken an animal at that range and the conditions would have to be perfect for me to take that shot. I'm attending a McMillan long range tactical course with a good friend and his TAC 338 Lapua the third week of February, I'm hoping to learn a lot from these guys.

    I will diffidently try this 308 on paper at ranges out to and perhaps beyond 800 yards once I complete the training. I'll check into requirements at Ben Avery's complex. They have a 1000 yard rifle range but certain restrictions apply.

  10. #10
    Member Dan in Alaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    854

    Default

    I have sent several scopes to Leupold over the last couple of years for the turret treatment. They charge $90 for a single turret and $130 for both elevation and windage turrets. I've had the turret treatment done to Vari-X III's, VX-III's, and VX-II's.

    On all but one scope, I have M1 turrets with MOA markings. On the other scope I sent them, I had Leupold install their new CDS dial with plain MOA markings. The M1's are easy to grab, and easy to read, but the CDS dial a lower profile turret. I like the looks of the CDS dial on a svelt, lightweight rifle.

    I'll try and get some pictures posted of the various Leupold turrets.

    Turrets certainly take the guess work out of bullet drop. I make up range cards (drop tables) based on the bullet's velocity and ballistic coefficient. The cards get taped to the stock, so I don't have to memorize a table of numbers for each rifle. I've found the range cards to be surprisingly accurate, when I later shoot to verify the settings.

    I like the idea of having a load specific turret, like you have Marshall, but I just haven't settled on particular loads. I like to play around too much, I guess.

    Nice shooting, BTW.

  11. #11
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post

    I like the idea of having a load specific turret, like you have Marshall, but I just haven't settled on particular loads. I like to play around too much, I guess.

    Nice shooting, BTW.
    Thanks Dan, I like to play around too. However, I don't think I can shoot any better than .5 MOA. If I work up a load that works well in a lighter bullet another turret is only $69.95 or I can change back to the original MOA turrets in a minute or two, perhaps they charge more for M1 turrets. I have laminated pocket size range cards for all my loads in each rifle, that works too. This system works so well I wish I would have known about it in the past.

    I just ordered a VX-3 4.5-14x40 CDS for my daughters 243Win. I found the scope at http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6150551 Their prices on Leupold products are the lowest I've found. This particular scope gets a free BDC dail by calling in with your serial number. Once I get her rifle dialed in with whatever works best I'll place that call.

    Her rifle is the same model Ruger as my 308. http://www.ruger.com/products/m77Haw...al/models.html I'm hoping it shoots just as good. Disregard the $1172 price tag, these rifles were bought for $798 each, one locally and the other on Gun Broker.

    I realize it's about $125 more than you can pick up a comparable Remington. http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-tactical.aspx I have a shooting buddy that bought the Remington locally for $675 but it doesn't have rings or the Harris bipod included with the Ruger. My local dealer claims Ruger has a higher mark up so he can cut deeper on the MSRP.

  12. #12
    Member Dan in Alaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    854

    Default

    Here are some photos. First, a pair of Leupold M1 turrets with MOA graduations on a VX-II 6-18x:


    From the driver's point of view:


    Side view:


    Here's a VX-III 3.5-10x, outfitted with only an M1 elevation turret. This is how I've done most of my scopes with the turret treatment.

  13. #13
    Member Dan in Alaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    854

    Default

    Here are a couple of photos of Leupold's new CDS dials. This is a VX-II 3-9x with an elevation dial, with generic MOA markings. As you can see, they don't stick up nearly as much as the M1's. The M1's are easier to read and provide for better traction, but I think the lower profile CDS dials look better on a lightweight rifle.


    Another look at the CDS dial, from the driver's point of view:

  14. #14
    Member michael wascom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    I have sent several scopes to Leupold over the last couple of years for the turret treatment. They charge $90 for a single turret and $130 for both elevation and windage turrets. I've had the turret treatment done to Vari-X III's, VX-III's, and VX-II's.

    On all but one scope, I have M1 turrets with MOA markings. On the other scope I sent them, I had Leupold install their new CDS dial with plain MOA markings. The M1's are easy to grab, and easy to read, but the CDS dial a lower profile turret. I like the looks of the CDS dial on a svelt, lightweight rifle.

    I'll try and get some pictures posted of the various Leupold turrets.

    Turrets certainly take the guess work out of bullet drop. I make up range cards (drop tables) based on the bullet's velocity and ballistic coefficient. The cards get taped to the stock, so I don't have to memorize a table of numbers for each rifle. I've found the range cards to be surprisingly accurate, when I later shoot to verify the settings.

    I like the idea of having a load specific turret, like you have Marshall, but I just haven't settled on particular loads. I like to play around too much, I guess.

    Nice shooting, BTW.
    Check out this handy little toy.

    http://www.leupold.com/tactical/prod...listics-chart/

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Montana,

    This little 308 is shot out of a 20" barrel so it gives up a some velocity. It's running 2575fps with the 175gr Berger through the Chrony placed at 8 feet. It's still moving 1700fps at 580 yards and that will be my max deer range for bullet performance.

    Personally I have never taken an animal at that range and the conditions would have to be perfect for me to take that shot. I'm attending a McMillan long range tactical course with a good friend and his TAC 338 Lapua the third week of February, I'm hoping to learn a lot from these guys.

    I will diffidently try this 308 on paper at ranges out to and perhaps beyond 800 yards once I complete the training. I'll check into requirements at Ben Avery's complex. They have a 1000 yard rifle range but certain restrictions apply.
    Based on that info, I think I would also be limiting shots on game to 500 or less. But it looks to me like you could get some good accuracy for paper shooting and plinking, maybe a coyiote or two, out of that outfit. BTW, Berger advetises 1800 fps as minimum expansion velocity for their bullets.

    I would like to take an LR course sometime. Shawn Carlock offers a basic and an advanced class and has some good videos.

    Keep us posted if you stretch it out. I would be interested in seeing how accurate the BDC turret is at extended ranges.

  16. #16

    Default

    Dan, nice rifles and good pics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •