Thread: pot puller?

Default pot puller?

I have a small 18ft skiff and would like to be able to pull pots in eastern PWS. Don't have the cash to go for the e-dyne, so was wondering if any of you have Powerwinch quickcatch puller system. I realize this is not a hands free operation, but would hope to make pulling pots and anchor much easier than by hand. The down side of having it mounted on the bow obviously would be handling the pots as they come up. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

How many pots are you going to run on your string? I used one of the smaller pullers with 5 pots on a string, and personally don't think the smaller units are up to pulling 5 pot strings.

I would like to do two doubles and a single. As far as anchoring we usually fish 100-200 ft

Default We use that powerwinch quickcatch pot puller

and it works great for us. We usually pull 3 pots on one line and 2 on another, but I think it would be fine for 5 pots. We are pulling over 400' deep a lot of the time. We just fling the pot rope (OK...rode?) behind us and it is not too hard to pull any of the pots over the bow. We have a welded anchor pulley on the bow, this is on a 26' Hewes AK.

One thing on the Powerwinch pot puller....we bought the installation kit, that was fine, but you are buying enough heavy guage wire to do a 40 foot boat installation, so you may want to buy your own wire, connectors, switch and a high-quality automotive solenoid: I got the good advice from a friend NOT to run the heavy 6 guage wire to the little button switch. Instead, we ran the heavy wires from the pot puller back to the batter directly on positive, and through a solenoid on negative, and then ran just a 12ga wire to the solenoid from the pot puller button switch on front to trigger the solenoid. So, the heave amp draw from the puller does not go through the switch button. That button is mounted where you can push it with your foot to operate the puller, out of the way where you normally walk. It works great.

We also use this pot puller to pull our anchor. It is no where near as fast as the more expensive ones, but works great for us, and isn't too bad on even our 600 foot pulls. We've used it two seasons in western PWS and so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Fisher View Post
    I have a small 18ft skiff and would like to be able to pull pots in eastern PWS. Don't have the cash to go for the e-dyne, so was wondering if any of you have Powerwinch quickcatch puller system. I realize this is not a hands free operation, but would hope to make pulling pots and anchor much easier than by hand. The down side of having it mounted on the bow obviously would be handling the pots as they come up. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.
    You might be able to mount the quickcatch along the gunnels if you have practical attach points or could fabricate something stout enough to hold it. That could make pot hauling easier. I'm not crazy about hauling an anchor from the side...but you could break it loose from the front and walk the line back and winch it in. Capstans are pretty safe as all you have to do is take your foot off the switch and/or just let go of your end if you get hung up. You could also do the bouy and ring anchor lift routine and then haul it with the winch. Specs say 150 fpm with a 100 lb load. Best of luck to you.

I have used one for two seasons now. So far it has been a reliable unit and does a good job. I pull three pots on one set and two on the other. The only time I have had problems is when I hit a soft muddy spot and filled them half full of mud - that was a slow pull. I have timed it on several occasions and it pulls 3 pots at just over 100 feet per minute. I wanted the unit to be removable so I mounted it on a 2x12 with 3 wing nuts and a quick disconnect on the power cable. It only takes a couple minutes to take it on and off. The 2x12 then works as a fish cleaning board. When moose season rolls around the board comes off as well to save weight. Those of us with toy boats have to think of everything to get by.

With that said I will upgrade at some point to a more hands free unit because the more shrimp I get the more I want and pulling the pots faster and by myself is desireable.

Default Thanks

Thankyou all for your input, coming from you guys that use these products means so much more than advertising or a sales pitch. I love this website. Again thankyou