Thread: 14A

Default 14A

Hey y'all!
    I really didn't plan on asking this question as i'm sure i'll probably not get a lot of hits (postive), but i got some news and not sure if the "hot spot" i thought i picked out is really going to be worth a shot as this is my last spring being able to get a nice blacky.

Anyone know how the hunting is around Houston? I'm looking for a closer place to drop a bait station and just wanted some opinions/comments on things to maybe stay away from (areas/homes/cabins/roads/etc.)

I'm leaving this vague as i'm not asking for hunting positions of your own, nor am i trying to compromise "your positions". Just wanting whatever insight i can get.

Thanks in advance,
    Johnny

IMO based off of friends that had the same idea as you have told me, Houston blackies are few and far between. Alot of bait sites in that stretch along both sides of the road. Got a couple of guys that even own cabins in the area and they were telling me that the bears really get run out from breakup to den-up. BUT if I listened to everyone that told me where there are no bears or not worth puttin' in a bait site-I would not have got any bears last year..Good luck this year and if you get an anklin' to head up and take a look get as far back as you can..

I would look hard for a different GMU. If you dont Have a Boat or a wheeler, your not going to get that bait anywhere legal in 14A, well not easily anyway. Around houston there is alot of baiters in that area.

The troopers love patrolling that area too so you can about bet on getting checked for legality.

I think after 4 years I find found a spot that I can bait in 14A but it wont be cheap nor quick to get there. In fact I probably wont.

If this is your last shot at bearbaiting Id head up farther north or maybe look on the kenai somewhere.

Dont forget to use google earth to help with your scouting. But even that is not a foolproof way to know if a cabin is in the area

I thank both of you for your honest posts. I really do. Using google earth is what got me thinkin that "my spot" would be good but then again after driving up that way i thought to myself "if this road is maintained now (during winter) then it's gotta be used for something". I don't want to be illegal in any means. Thanks again for the advice fellas, much appreciated!

Default PM

Check your PM

.................Thanks!

Lets put it this way, if it's a real B**** to get into your stand area, you might get a bear. If a 4wheeler or truck can get to it, or its near a trail, don't bother.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.