Hello All

Been reading here far awhile but this is my first post. Were moving
    to Alaska next year and I trying to make sure I have most of the gear
    I'll need.Bear pertection is one area I'm looking into. I already have a
    couple of blackhawks in .45colt and .41mag. Loaded with hard cast
    bullets. But I've read here how well shotguns work. So I'm looking
    into getting a 18" or 20" pump shotgun. My question is what loads to
    use Buckshot or slugs. If slugs, smooth bore and big lead slugs or
    rifled and sabot slugs. Maybe smoth bore and a mixture of the two.
    Thanks all.

Do NOT use buckshot on bears. Go with the 3" Breneke black majic or KO slugs. They are about 600 grains and will stop anything. Be prepared for a solid thump to the shoulder though.

Edit - they work fine in a smoothbore at bear-defense ranges and beyond. I've used them in my Mossberg 500 and they're plenty accurate.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Don't buy anything but Dixie Slugs!!! they will stop a locomotive!! Anything else is a joke in comparison.

A lot of people will go with slugs alternated with #00 buck
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I can't think that anyone in there right mind would willing choose Buckshot for bear defense. Why wound an animal capable of ripping your head off with one swipe, when you end up wounding him so he wanders off to let his buckshot wounds fester, putting him in a extremely dangerous mood and further endangering anyone that he comes across. Maybe your wife and children..
    If you're going to shoot a bear---KILL IT..not shoot to scare it away.

Default seven and a halfs

I would shoot him first with 7.5 or 8 shot then follow through with three rounds of slugs......just me though.

Default I'm sorry I saw shot guns for bears and

well , Who would give a bear a shot gun ????

Buckshot is for big birds or home intruders only......use quality slugs only for bears.

Thumbs up Brenneke's!

Shot, whether it be 4's, 6's, 7's, 8's or 00buck, is for two things, stupid chickens or stupid people. If bears are in the mix, NO SHOT, Brenneke slugs only. They are devistating when a close range (less than 10 yds) head/neck shot are in order. You won't be getting a nice broadside shot if your wanting a bear defense gun. Anyways, they (Brennekes) smash big bones with authority. Personally, I would use a different powerhouse of sorts in the flavor of 45-70 if looking for strictly bear protection and leave the shotgun for birds and home defense. But if a shotgun is all you have or that's what you're hellbent on having, then go slugs. My .02...

Default stupid?

Seems to me that I'd take out their eyes and nose on the first shot - side step him - then fill him with holes to the shoulder and heart as he passed by.

Why not? He'd hafta be real close on the first shot, and you wouldn't want to stumble. I have never done it but it would be the best way in my mind.

You shouldn't shoot the bear anyway unless he is 25 feet or closer - otherwise how do you know that he is really charging and not bluffing?

8's at 5 yards would pattern his whole head...no smelly, no seeey - then break him down.

Not stupid - rather Survival - - less'n you kin Grin Em down like ole Dan'l did......

Default Slugs for sure

I've always thought, load my Rem 870 12ga 3"mag with three slugs as the first shots needing most accuracy in a very heart thumping situation, to make powerful break shoulder shots first then as a last resort which is by definition at very close range have the last two loads as 00 buck for the idea of throwing up a wall of lead into the head or chest as the bear is Right there and obviously running on adrenaline (that is if my slugs did kill or seriously wound)

knowing lots of stories of them still running hard on pure adrenaline even though the heart has been destroyed. Thought that made sense to use the pattern of heavy shot close in as a stopping power thing.

I may be adjusting that idea with all the slug proponents here. What do you guys think?

First slugs though for sure as a distant 00shot seems to not have near enough damage power.

For the accuracy in a potential freak out situation (I don't care how cool you think you are on the range, it is WAY different in an Aggressive Bear situation) I would NOT AT ALL use a handgun against a charging bear. The accuracy is just not there until they are on top of you and you better have more excellence through the balance of a larger gun than a quavering handgun.

Same reasoning goes for using a pump shotgun rather than a high powered rifle that you have to shoulder and see thru the scope to be accurate. My opinion is this will tempt you to start shooting before you really should. Bluff charging is pretty intimidating and I think more people get themselves in trouble overreacting to this.

Just my opinion tho, Been charged a few times, never taken a shot yet

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I would shoot him first with 7.5 or 8 shot then follow through with three rounds of slugs......just me though.
    I never gave it much thought before as I don't carry a shotgun in the woods, but that's a good idea.

ATV's got an interesting thread on here about what the gun's will do, think it's on the shooting thread, ask him to shoot some double 00 next time and see what he come's up with. ( he's shooting phonebooks)

Default Remington Buckhammers

I have not shot the Brennekes but their reputation is superb. However, I did do quite a bit of research on slugs before deciding on the Buckhammer. These slugs are very impressive. I shoot the 3". This slug weighs an amazing 1 5/8oz. They have a unique design with very sharp shoulders and are extremely accurate. I have an 870 that has been completely tefloned, a rifled barrel, a Hogue foregrip and a Knox Spec Ops stock. I fired these slugs last year with the factory stock and only fired 2 before I decided I didn't want to shoot another. Took it to Birchwood a couple of weeks ago and even with the Knox stock it kicked like a mule. I can not imagine anything on earth being on the receiving end of one of these and not wanting to stop doing whatever it was that got them shot in the first place. Check them out. The Remington website has some very good comparison info. I'm staying with the Buckhammers. Wellllll, not exactly. I just got a Beowulf!! And let me tell ya, it is AWESOME!
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Question/comment....... at close range buckshot wouldnt have much more of a spread pattern than a slug anyway, so why would you not use the one with more energy-the slug?

Default Slugs

I hunted with slugs back in New York before moving to Alaska in 99. I harvested my first buck at age 16 (1968) with an old J.C. Higgins and a 2 3/4 Federal Slug. I never saw him drop at 20 yards.

Since then I have hunted until the year I left although I did switch to a handgun at times for the last 15-18 years.

All slugs are different. Each of my slug guns liked different brand slugs.

Rule 1. Try different brands to see which one shoots the best.

In about 1995 my son and I were getting ready for opening day. He handed me a slug (Popular brand Foster) and as I looked at it I noticed the slug was loaded "side ways" in the case. Fosters are so soft (made so, so the skirt can expand to fill the bore and just incase someone fires it in a full choke it shouldn't do any damage.) that you can scratch them with your fingernail and bend them. I have taken deer out to 120 yards with Fosters successfully and have had them fail at 9 yards and fragment.

Rule 2. Don't use Fosters on things that can bite you.

Brenneke slugs are designed for dangerous game. They have been taken to Africa and utilized to harvest Cape Buffalo. They will work.

I was given some Dixie Slugs to try and have a sample slug here. Although I have never needed them (I bow hunt) they are very impressive. On hardness testing they are very hard, harder than a Brenneke and cannot be scratched with a fingernail. They appear to be heat treated (quenched) upon cooling creating a very hard slug. The ones I have are 3". The slug looks like a Keith wad cutter with a chamfer on the leading edge to enhance alignment with the forcing cone in the barrel. They are the ones I load into the 870 when I feel I need it when chasing other people’s bears.

Rule 3. Don't scrimp on quality when the savings may cost you your life.

Shotgun slugs are a lot more effective than most people think. A 3/4" diameter 600 grain slug with 3,500 foot pounds of energy is nothing to sneeze at.

Rule 4. Buckshot is great on people.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Seems to me that I'd take out their eyes and nose on the first shot - side step him - then fill him with holes to the shoulder and heart as he passed by.
    Well, there's a theory!

Default Side step that nose

Sidestepping the charge does sound pretty cool,

that nose is a lot bigger than the eyes though,

I discovered a lot looking at a Kodiak Bear skull I found in the woods walking out of Larsen Bay my first year in Ak, It's ALL NOSE tissue and the brain is hidden behind a steeply sloping chunk of bone that is only about two inches wide. The rest of that huge head, coming at you so fast is all eyes, nose and ears!!

oh such a pissed off bear that would be unless a head shot was immaculately perfect!!

Maybe a good strategy is wait until it's too late and turn the gun around and WAIL on His Nose with the butt of the stock, all that nose tissue must be super sensitive,

Ever been hit right on the nose(?) totally blinding, heh heh

Then maybe try the side step and fill the vitals with holes, idea

What dya thnk, worth thinking about in February, for fun

While you are in the lower 48 get you some Dixie slugs and maybe some of the twin ball ammo they make as well. The Brenneke's you can get up here if you can't get the Dixie slugs before you come up.

Bear spray is cheaper and more effective. I can't find one story where a bear got a face full of spray and kept coming. I'm sure it's happened, I've just not heard it. I've heard a lot more stories of bears running through a shot and mauling people.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast