Thread: Winter Moose Tactics-Seeking Advice

Default Winter Moose Tactics-Seeking Advice

I am hunitng the 20A RM 764 hunt on snowmachine across the Tanana. So far, only day tripping past 2 weekends with another buddy. As many of the posts have stated, this is not an easy hung but enjoyable all the same. Navigating the river is tricky at best, lots of hazardous spots appear real quick. I have spotted several tracks, fresh and old alike but have only spotted one Cow Moose at dusk and it was too far for realistic kill shot...500yds at least.

I was wondering, is anyone willing to share some insight to winter moose hunting? Do they respond to calls now? Are they prone to stay in the deeper cover and wooded areas during the daylight hours?

Finally, my method of hunt them so far has been basically to just travel the river edges and any open sloughs or trails, lookd for fresh tracks in and out of the river islands while hoping to spot and stalk. Is this method the correct tactic or should I be hitting the thick stuff, take a 3-4 days set up camp and hike the areas? I guess, relying on luck, is a better way to put it.

Any advice and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Find a spot with a view and let your glass do the walking. Wear a no-fog mask all the time, it will help keep your scope or bino's from getting fogged w/ your breath and it is WARM. On our 08 cow hunt did basically what you have been doing but didn't see anything until just before dark. We set up w/ a good view of several alder fields and right before dark they came out into the field to feed. Field dressing was a cold dark experience but the meat cooled rapidly and was delivered to Indian Valley meats completely frozen and was fantastic! Good luck!

Find the willows. Moose love to eat willows more than anything.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Wink Flats Moose

I have done this one several times with pretty good luck. I am not sure where or how far in you are going but try right behind Japan Hills or close to Japan Hills and get up in the foothills. Its warmer up there and they seemed to like it. Plus you can look down on everything. There were 5 of a couple of years ago and we killed all 5 cows in one little valley back behind the Japan Hills area.

Its a pretty good haul getting back in there though.

Good luck.

Default high

Never hunted where you are but in my area (Yukon) trappers can hunt until the end of Jan. so i have taken a few in the winter. Look high, it never ceases to amaze me how high they will live. They seem to like a good balsam willow mix. I would find some fresh tracks... put on snowshoes and go! Good Luck and have fun! I will be hunting bison next month using the same techniques.

Default I would stay high

also, but as the year progresses, the moose will start moving down into the bottoms. I am not sure exactly where you are, but sounds like in a river bottom. I would keep looking for fresh tracks and checking on the willow islands like you are.

I agree with the "hunt high" people if it is possible in your area. 3 weeks ago we found 4 bulls and a cow WAY up the mountain. The higher wind (and warmer temps in the interior) seems to make travel easier for them by keeping blowing off some of the snow. If these moose were any higher they would have been in sheep country!

Talking Hunt low and early!

I just got a cow from the same hunt 10 days ago. I was 5 miles off the river in the low stuff and it was cold. came across 2 cows within 30 min. on the trail and got the later one, I was back to my truck and in town before total dark. It took about an hour to navigate the river crossing though, many springs and open leads.

We made fresh tracks on the trail and by 11:30 - noon, we saw are first other people on snowmachines looking for moose, by 2:30pm we had seen 2 other sleds go by.

Just have to get out early!

Default Winter Moose Tactics-Seeking Advice-Thanks

All, who offered sound advice. Thanks for your direction and I will apply what I can for my area. Unfortunately, the area offers little for elevation to look for moose. I am hunting, Zone 2B, GMU 20 which is mainly flats, but it does offer plenty of willows and low brush for feed. I've been crossing the river near Salcha and heading north while navigating the open holes and log jammed snow cover and ice heaves.

This is my first opportunity for a winter hunt and am eally enjoying the experience. If lucky enough to harvest a moose all the better. So I'll be back at again this weekend using the sage wisdom provided and will head deeper into the flats if I can navigate thru the area for more possibilities.

Thanks again to all
    TBone1

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Never hunted where you are but in my area (Yukon) trappers can hunt until the end of Jan. so i have taken a few in the winter. Look high, it never ceases to amaze me how high they will live. They seem to like a good balsam willow mix. I would find some fresh tracks... put on snowshoes and go! Good Luck and have fun! I will be hunting bison next month using the same techniques.
    You folks in the Yukon have it made in the hunting and fishing area. You are where we were in Alaska back in the 1950s. I spent a week broken down in Watson Lake last fall when the transmission failed in my motorhome and the Whitehorse newspaper posted an article that anyone who had attended a bison hunt class could go out and hunt bison. They are highly coveted permits up here in Alaska. I was lucky enough to draw one back in 1980 and I took a nice bull. They are the best darn eating animals.

Our main moose season in this area is 15 days before the rut kicks in and you folks can hunt about half the year for caribou and moose both. WOW!!!!

Can you cross near Lost Lake?

Default Lost Lake

You can cross at lost lake I believe and I think the trail goes out to koole lake. or you can go up the little delta, don't know this for sure never been on that ice.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

do not forget to call F&G before heading out that quota is filling up fast, and the troopers are on it this year.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default I know one thing...

moose love to congregate in winter time, & in the short willows at that...I've only seen a coupla bulls durning winter as well, & mostly cows & calves...

Calling may work, but highly unlikely, I remember callin' one winter & I seemed to just piss off one of the cows in the group of nine I had been observing from 60 yds away...she was a stompin' & a huffin' away at me...heck, could've been a jr. bull without antlers for all I know...didn't see any nubs though...

Scent may work this time of year...

Red face Good luck

My bad. I assumed that you were down in zone 5 or 6. Up were you are is rather flat.

Default calling

Latest I have ever had luck calling is late Oct. Good Luck and post pictures of your hunt!