Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Cow Moose Vs Bulls?

Default Hunting Cow Moose Vs Bulls?

This fall a buddy of mine will be with me on an Ont fall moose hunt. He will have a cow tag and plans to use a muzzloader. We will be on a huge river system that opens into many lakes and moves slowly - high moose populations. Will likely be a spot and stalk for his cow. However, I thought you mooser's with a lot more experience might shed some light if you do things any differently for cows and are successful?
    Seems we get a lot of Bull inputs for sure....
    Thanks.

We usually just look until we find one then walk up to it and blast it. They are curious as heck and will usually just stare at you until it is too late as long as you don't act like a predator. YMMV

As Lujon stated, spot and stalk. You can't eat antlers and cows are usually pretty tender and great eating.

Default Thanks Lujon

Hmmm, perhaps I will have my bud strap a camera on his smokepole and the beast will think he's just snapping photo's?
    Hopefully he can find a barren one as I do not want to waste a bull tag on a calf early on the hunt for sure. Later would be no no problemo!

I can't get this comment out of my mind esp. from a mod. " We just look until we find one then walk up to it and blast it" And then the following comment's.

This says alot as to where this forum is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    I can't get this comment out of my mind esp. from a mod. " We just look until we find one then walk up to it and blast it" And then the following comment's.

It's called muzzle blast, happens every time I pull the trigger, perhaps your rifles are different

I have had no problems "stalking" (slowly walking) up well within rifle range of a cow moose, with perhaps the exception of a cow with calves. They tend to get very curious if you are visible, They will frequently just stand there and stair until you get within their instinctive "danger zone". Bears and other predators sneak up on them so if they hear a noise near by and can't identify it they bolt. If they see something outside that instinctive "danger zone they usually stare at it trying to discern if it is a threat and depending on cover offer a rather easy shot. In my experience getting within 100 yards is not especially hard. It is worth it to make an effort to get down wind, to keep them from easily identifying you as some moose may be spookier than others. And as I said YMMV

Rock, they're talking about hunting cow moose. Though Jon's words may have lacked some eloquence, what is wrong with walking up to an animal and shooting in when it is your intended quarry? Would it have been better if he said that "we patiently stalk through the timber until we find a cow. Once found, we position ourselves for the shot and then harvest the animal." Semantics aside, what's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post

Not only where it is "going" but probably just as much where it has "gone". Sadly all too reflective of where we should be looking to find the "source" of so many of these issues (problems), and that is in the mirror and not to the BOG or BGCSB or DNR.
    Amazing how the "problem" is always due to rural hunters or urban hunters or some agency. Never our unwillingness to develop our own hunting skills.
    Joe (Ak)

Default Bulls vs. Cows

This past fall I wasn't really hunting just spotting and saw 15 bulls most all sub-legal and only 2 cows in one day. This winter I saw only 2 cows and the second one is in my freezer in one day. There is a lot of moose here in the interor but when I have been hunting in the fall I usually see just as many cows vs. bulls. I'd also have to say that I have noticed them (cows) to be spookey around this time (fall) too. 10 days a go I just went out down a trail on my snowmachine and noticed a cow right next to the trail, she ran and got away. The next was a gut pile on the trail, (can't we move it a little bit?). The I saw a cow staring at me in the middle of a field and took her. She is very tasty and I enjoyed the trip even though it was cold (-20).

What I am trying to say is that if you are looking for cows you will find them. If in the rut then, they are mixed in togeather. The trip in the fall I mentioned above we saw a herd of 7 moose only 2 cows. It was kind of commical cause eveyone (other hunters) were comming so close to them and not even noticing them.

Default goodie

Oh boy. The ethics police are back...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    shed some light if you do things any differently for cows
    I never bother trying to count brow tines...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I asked a similar question this fall but did not get as many answers. People get tired of answering the questions close to hunting season. This time of year seems like a better time to discuss things.

Long and short. Spot and stalk. Leave the bull magnet at home. Brush up on the difference between cow prints, bull prints and calf prints (usually next to cow prints). I suck at knowing which is which. Don't get winded. Look a little longer for a calf. I have heard stories of the calf being a good little tyke and staying very still until he hears the shot that kills his momma.

I like the fact that you can voice an opinion on this forum and hopefully not get flamed no matter what side of the ethics isle you are on. Sorry your thread got hijacked, again. Hopefully this stuff helps out and you can blast, shoot, pop, clobber and otherwise harvest a very large barren cow.

Daved: I agree leave the bull magnet at home. I during Sept, I have had cows come in to the call (low bull grunts). Again they were very curious, and seemed conflicted by what they saw vs what they heard. I have also used soft bull grunts while approaching cows and they seem perplexed by it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Not only where it is "going" but probably just as much where it has "gone". Sadly all too reflective of where we should be looking to find the "source" of so many of these issues (problems), and that is in the mirror and not to the BOG or BGCSB or DNR.
    Amazing how the "problem" is always due to rural hunters or urban hunters or some agency. Never our unwillingness to develop our own hunting skills.
    Joe (Ak)

hey now don't yo go getting all crazy and cynical......

thats my job

Smokey gotta ask.. is this hunt here or state side your planning?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

Smokey gotta ask.. is this hunt here or state side your planning?

I think the Ont in the original post was a reference to "Ontario" So unless we have recently annexed a Canadian province I am going to say NO on both your guesses.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I think the Ont in the original post was a reference to "Ontario" So unless we have recently annexed a Canadian province I am going to say NO on both your guesses.

I took it as accent... ONT to be moose hunting
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Now Boyz Play Nice!

Vince, This will be in Northen Ontario. I should add a few details as many times we leave so much to the imagination on a post.
    I have one successful moose hunt under my belt in 2004 - my son and I took 2 young bulls - called in 3 - shot one of those - missed an almost opportunity at an dandy 55 plus - I ambushed a 24incher last day in a blizzard in a logged feeding area. So, we have a little moose knowledge. A lot of general hunting exp having taken caribou, elk, bears, tons of deer,
    and a cross eyed opposum!.
    We will have a guide on this trip ( my first guide, but at 53 my health is going south and need some help ). The guide however is new to moose hunting ( new camp owner - he is a hunter and I feel good that he will be a good scout and help get a critter out for sure ). But, I will be in new territory and thought maybe a tip or two on cow moose behavor may benifit our party for my friend. I figure they are pretty territorial like a whitetail doe with a calf and not prone to a lot of movement. So, if we spot one or find sign, we shoud see her in a day or so? Owner said calf would likely survive if we shot cow but I don't feel that way so we are going to try to avoid shooting cow w/calf unless we intend to harvest both....
    Didn't know if some soft cow calls may bring a cow out or if there are some calf sounds that might do that if we are having a hard time getting one to show herself?
    As for the Blast and stuff comments - Joe I hear what you say. To all that post don't take this wrong as I love to read all the stories but I do write stories for regional magazines about my hunts and I really TRY to use words like Firearms vs Guns, Harvested vs Killed, etc. Sometimes just a few careful words can make us look so much better in the eye of the public, and I know that many of our stories are posted by enthusiastic youths that let it "flow" as they saw it! I have the utmost respect for all of you that post on here and thank you for your feedbacks to my posts for sure...
    Randy

"We usually just look until we find one then walk up to it and blast it."

~~LOL!!~~

Thats a blunt way of saying it, yet very true..... it is about that easy. Maby the hardest thing is ya gotta be sure theres no calf, as they can be laying low in the grass/willows.....

A Cow with no Calf will be fairly fat right now.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I used to know a person who would fly out of Fairbanks, look for a pregnant cow moose and would shoot it because they were the best eating. Yes, the hunting season was closed. Not saying it was right.

Brian I know what they were talking about,

Lujon as a mod on here, I feel you should have used some better wording even if it is true. Sounds like you were going into some farmers field, and walked up to his cow and blasted it. I don't know what else to say except the wording was wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast