Thread: Cabin Insurance

Default Cabin Insurance

Thought I was actually going to swing some insurance for about $380 a year on the cabin that is getting close to looking like a cabin. However as the cabin is road accessible an agent went to see if it could qualify for insurance and it failed the inspection. Tried to explain to the salesman about what I want and what to expect when I called to add this to my current USAA policy.

Failed for things like further than 1000 feet from a fire hydrant.
    Trees closer than 30 feet to the cabin.

Anyone have theirs insured, I was most trying to have it insured if it burned down or someone broke all the windows or vandalized it.

Thanks

We called State Farm. They want $800 for a $50K policy. No inspection as it is not road accessable. It is actually a rider on our home owners insurance.

Mike

I pay about $420.00 through American, which is somehow affiliated with Geico. It have only $40,000.-- Maximum per building. But mostly I wanted the liability insurance.

Smile

I have cabin ins. with Allstate as a rider to our Home owners ,the cabin is remote on the Yentna. The cabin is insured for $75,000 and contents at $15,000 .That is Fire and Lighting ,there also a extended coverage,and other perils. This comes at a cost of $766.00 per year. When one thinks about all of the time and material that they have put into it I guess that it is worth it.

State Farm would not insure me as my cabin is on the road system. So after 35 years as a State Farm customer I dumped em. Country Insurance On the SW Corner of C and Benson. Talk to Lindsay. She worked a great deal for me. Cabin is a rider on the homeowner policy like it should have been with State Farm. Homeowner Policy is better than SF and cars are about the same.

RMK

Default Maybe State Farm only likes Cessna Drivers?

I am assuming that you have a typo there Beaver, and your cabin is actually "off" the road system.

State farm only had one question for me, and it was distance to the nearest fire station since my place is road accessible.

They gave me the option of a "rider" policy for a true cabin, or a second home policy if it had water and electricity to it. It is cheaper (at least with state farm) to have a second policy instead of the rider.

My current home owners policy extends to cover me for liability on the land prior to the completion of the cabin at no additional cost.

I've always considered insurance to be a bit of a rip off. I guess the day I use it, I will feel differently. So far I've just written them checks for 26 years as a necessary evil.

No Typo- My Cabin is ON the road system. In fact they said they would insure it if it was off the road system. I dealt with them for months. I had been with State Farm since I was 17 with no claims - not even a car wreck. They tried everything with the underwriters - separate policy, second home policy, rider on the homeowner policy. All were no help.

That is strange - we insure thru State Farm and our place is on the road system. We carry a total of $333k in coverage (both cabin and garage) for $715/yr under a separate policy. That includes all the multi-line, no claim, etc. discounts.

Perhaps you should speak to another State Farm agent.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Our cabin has been insured through State Farm for over seven years, full coverage, same as our home in Anchorage. Stand alone policy not affiliated with any other policy. Insured for replacement value, plus contents, also covers all out buildings including the out house. We are located in the subdivision at the Deshka Landing. We pay about $ 800 per year, was about $1000 before we were in the Willow fire district.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Thought I was actually going to swing some insurance for about $380 a year on the cabin that is getting close to looking like a cabin. However as the cabin is road accessible an agent went to see if it could qualify for insurance and it failed the inspection. Tried to explain to the salesman about what I want and what to expect when I called to add this to my current USAA policy.

Failed for things like further than 1000 feet from a fire hydrant.
    Trees closer than 30 feet to the cabin.

Anyone have theirs insured, I was most trying to have it insured if it burned down or someone broke all the windows or vandalized it.

Thanks
    ours was out side the fire service area and hard to insure we ended up with Umalick insurance for rural areas..

the proplem with it was the replacement cost were not clearly stated..

huge reductions for used value, when ours burned dow, we were given 50% of the replacement cost of the cabin and only 6 months to actually replace it to at least 85% before the remaining 50% would pay out. 47,000 in firearms equated to 14,000 in benifits many things were NOT covered etc.. shop carfully.. state farm and AllState are very picky about the cabin loss/fire loss, and auto stuff. I get plenty of clients come in and fret over those companies when they get in trouble and are no longer covered.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

RMK

Default State Farm strangeness

That is odd that State Farm gives different answers to different people. I don't know if each "independent" agent gets to decide what they will underwrite?

My original agent, who coincidentally was a beaver driver himself, retired. The gal who took over seems to play by the same rules.

They insure my house, snowmachines, and cars. They say they are willing to write a policy for the cabin I'm building.

I don't blame you for switching if they gave you the run around. You would thing that insuring a cabin is so easy a caveman could do it.

We were long long time customers of State Farm; multi-auto, home, etc. Then we bought our AK cabin and land. There was a catch 22 on covering our cabin. If it was on a road it needed power/water (?); if it was off the road it didn't need them. We spent a lot of time working with various agents, our regular agent and several in the local area he knew; no help.

We switched all our insurance to AllState. $45 month for cabin coverage and the cabin is covered for $30K. We deal with the folks in Wasilla by the lake.

Side note: the wife was talking to the insurance lady on the phone and she told us when we are ready to start building our house to give them a call. I think as soon as the foundation is in we can start getting insurance on the house and the building materials would be covered from theft...seems to be a big problem.