Thread: Wasilla gun range

Default Wasilla gun range

The Wasilla gun range is on the agenda at the city council meeting Mon Jan 25th 6:00 we need bodies there to support the range and to speak in support of. Com one come all

Quote Originally Posted by reddogiii View Post
    The Wasilla gun range is on the agenda at the city council meeting Mon Jan 25th 6:00 we need bodies there to support the range and to speak in support of. Com one come all
    What kind of range? I have not heard anything about this.

Is this the one that was supposed to be going in on Palmer/Wasilla Hwy. over in the gravel pit? Wish I were home already. I'd be there.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

This is the one by the Wasilla Sports Complex near Parks highway and Church road. The guy said "behind the complex" but I don't know exactly what he meant by behind.

It will be an outdoor open 100 yard rifle/handgun combo with a 30' backstop bream, 20' side breams, and high shot deflectors of some kind over top. They had a model of it at the Wasilla gun show. Very well designed range with breams on all 4 sids to direct the sound up . . . you enter through a tunnel. There will be a 75 yard and 50 yard (or was it 50 & 25?) also but I don’t know if they will be at the same time or later down the road.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Does anyone have an update on how this turned out? I told my wife about it, she was going to try to make it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Does anyone have an update on how this turned out? I told my wife about it, she was going to try to make it.
    A woman spoke at the meeting whose husband is in Afganistan. She had three small children with her. Was that your wife? My wife spoke at the meeting also. Very large turnout with lots of support for the range.

Quote Originally Posted by northstar View Post
    A woman spoke at the meeting whose husband is in Afganistan. She had three small children with her. Was that your wife? My wife spoke at the meeting also. Very large turnout with lots of support for the range.
    That was Mrs. AKsoldier alright. I wonder where the fourth child was though.

She did tell me she went and got up to speak for our family. Sounds like it went well.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    That was Mrs. AKsoldier alright. I wonder where the fourth child was though.

She did tell me she went and got up to speak for our family. Sounds like it went well.
    No one can deny the overwhelming support for the range which is a great statement for our rights and the Second Amendment. Four children...all the better...you and your family are doing good work for our country. Thank you for your service!

Too bad it's only 100 yds. Those are a dime-a-dozen

Quote Originally Posted by SavageStag View Post
    Too bad it's only 100 yds. Those are a dime-a-dozen
    Not in Wasilla they aren't. Currently, folks who live around the valley have to either find a safe place out in the woods or drive in to birchwood if they want to shoot a rifle. I know there's the indoor pistol range in Palmer, and I keep hearing about rabbit creek somewhere, but we really could use a range in Wasilla. I know I'd be spending some time there.

For long range targeting, I'll just go out in the woods somewhere where I can find a safe direction to shoot and pace off 300 or more yards with my GPS. That requires a lot more driving than I want to deal with on a regular basis though.

If you want to do 300 yard work in the valley you can head up to the Upper Susitna Shooters range at mile 94 on the Parks Highway. There is a place to put in a 1000 yard range, but there just isn't enough membership and volunteers to make it happen right now.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Palmer already has a shooting range not open to the public at the sewage treatment plant. Cops only. Close to private homes. Thank you Palmer city council.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    If you want to do 300 yard work in the valley you can head up to the Upper Susitna Shooters range at mile 94 on the Parks Highway. There is a place to put in a 1000 yard range, but there just isn't enough membership and volunteers to make it happen right now.

Is their website not updated to include the 300 yard range?

http://susitnashooters.org/index_files/Page465.htm

The issue, sadly, is highly political in the valley both in the city and in the borough.

Here is a quote on the topic which is incorrect since it leaves out the Birchwood range which is not that far of a drive from the greater Wasilla/Palmer area:

"Mat Valley Sportsmen runs an indoor pistol range near Palmer. Grouse Ridge, off Wasilla-Fishhook Road, is a shotgun range. Upper Susitna Shooters runs an outdoor range at Mile 94.5 Parks Highway open to all shooters. Another range is being discussed in the Knik River Public Use Area but has not yet been built. But beyond those options, Pell said, shooters must travel to Anchorage or elsewhere to sight in a rifle or target shoot legally and safely. "

See the full article at http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/matsu/story/701212.html

IMO the city shouldn't be involved in the project; it will cost the tax payers more money than it would provide in tax revenues - regardless of safety factor.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Michael- You might be right I'll have to check. Even though I'm a member, I've only shot on the handgun and 100yd range with the kids. However, like the 1000 yard range that has been thought of, a 3,4,or500 yard range could easily be built with the right volunteers. Plenty of land, of which only a tenth is used right now.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    The issue, sadly, is highly political in the valley both in the city and in the borough.

Here is a quote on the topic which is incorrect since it leaves out the Birchwood range which is not that far of a drive from the greater Wasilla/Palmer area:

"Mat Valley Sportsmen runs an indoor pistol range near Palmer. Grouse Ridge, off Wasilla-Fishhook Road, is a shotgun range. Upper Susitna Shooters runs an outdoor range at Mile 94.5 Parks Highway open to all shooters. Another range is being discussed in the Knik River Public Use Area but has not yet been built. But beyond those options, Pell said, shooters must travel to Anchorage or elsewhere to sight in a rifle or target shoot legally and safely. "

See the full article at http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/matsu/story/701212.html

IMO the city shouldn't be involved in the project; it will cost the tax payers more money than it would provide in tax revenues - regardless of safety factor.
    Well it is correct since Birchwood is in the Municipality of Anchorage therefore it's in Anchorage. I live on Lazy Mountain and Birchwood is a 68 mile round trip for me and that does not fit my definition of not that far. I think it wonít be all that long before we have a huge no shoot zone like Anchorage has, itís already started with the KPUA. You are likely right on the money issue and use of tax dollars. However I say the very same thing about the new library which to me is far less needed in this digital age than a shooting range in that growing like a weed not so little town.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Michael- You might be right I'll have to check. Even though I'm a member, I've only shot on the handgun and 100yd range with the kids. However, like the 1000 yard range that has been thought of, a 3,4,or500 yard range could easily be built with the right volunteers. Plenty of land, of which only a tenth is used right now.

Should they decide to put in a longer range,I would be more than willing to help.

Quote Originally Posted by michael wascom View Post
    Should they decide to put in a longer range,I would be more than willing to help.
    There is great potential for longer ranges at the USSA. The association owns something like 140 acres with some good topography to work with. I think the logistics involved with putting a formal 1000 yard range on the scale of Ft Greely would be difficult to resolve. However, a more informal, limited use 1000 yard range in my opinion is very doable. I've done some work towards that end and I am willing to do more. I can give ideas and names of those willing to help to the president and BofD. If interested and willing to help please PM me. Maybe we could pool some resources, roll up some sleeves, and git 'er done!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by northstar View Post
    There is great potential for longer ranges at the USSA. The association owns something like 140 acres with some good topography to work with. I think the logistics involved with putting a formal 1000 yard range on the scale of Ft Greely would be difficult to resolve. However, a more informal, limited use 1000 yard range in my opinion is very doable. I've done some work towards that end and I am willing to do more. I can give ideas and names of those willing to help to the president and BofD. If interested and willing to help please PM me. Maybe we could pool some resources, roll up some sleeves, and git 'er done!
    Mike
    PM sent....and it says I need 10 characters to post,6 is not enough

Default What was the decision?

What was the decision on the rifle range? Did it get shot down or is the City still looking into it. I was did not see any information on the city council website regarding an outcome.