Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooldridge Alaskan (17.5') Vs. Alaskan II (20')

Default Wooldridge Alaskan (17.5') Vs. Alaskan II (20')

I have been using a Wooldridge Alaskan 17.5' since 1993. In 2000, I put a 115 Johnson 2 stroke, 60 degree V, jet out board on the transom, replacing the 88 Special. I really like this rig. It runs super shallow, steers like a sports car, and is easy to get 'unstuck'. It's basically the Super Cub of small/medium jet boats for running our shallow interior rivers and creeks. It works good for hauling a few people with very minimal gear or two people with a weeks worth of hunting gear.

I am looking for a rig that will run in water that is almost as shallow as I have been running in, but has more hauling capabilities (I.E., 4-6 passengers with some gear). Which leads me towards a Wooldridge Alaskan II.

Has any one out there run both the Alaskan (17.5') and the Alaskan II (20')?
    How much more water does the Alaskan II draw than the Alaskan? Would I be able to run the same, or most of the same water I can run with the smaller Alaskan?
    Any information or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Happy new year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Wooldridge Alaskan II

I have a 2005 Wooldridge Alaskan II with 150 Honda, great boat, I can put 1650lbs on step. I filled the boat with 55 gallon drums of water and sand bags until it would not get on step. Hard for one man to get it off a bar. I have ran the copper river, chena , salcha, I have put over a 1000 miles on it in PWS. I would get the biggest engine you can put on it. I wish I had more power, but don't we all???
    Happy New Year

Default How Shallow...

What is the least amount of water you have been able to run in?

Talking wooldridge Alaskan

Hi Reed, I would think the Alaskan 20 would run just as shallow but may not be able to run the real "narrow" skinny water the 17.5 will. I fished with a guide that runs a 23ft Alaskan II with a 150 Honda on it and he regularly takes 5-6 guys in really shallow stuff. He told me that this is the only boat that he has run that can get him to the fish when the rivers get extremely shallow in Washington. On a regular basis he will be the only one fishing a certain section of river unless you are running a Wooldridge boat. I think there is some video on the Wooldridge promo tape that shows some 20 AK II in super skinny stuff. They should have it in the boat show coming up.

Default I am pretty well decided...

I am pretty well decided on the Alaska II. Just don't know which motor to put on it yet.
    I am leaning towards the Evinrude 150 hp ETEC. For working the super shallow water, I need to keep my out board as light as possible. From research I've done on the web, it sounds like they have the bugs worked out of these direct injected, newer versions.

If you are buying:

Look at all the accessories and have what you need added when the boat is built. Dual batteries, swim step, suspension seats, dual wipers, etc.....

If you plan to run skinny with a full/loaded boat, get the largest motor available that makes sense. Think weight to HP. I suggest an inboard so you can run a heater/defroster. I also suggest 4 stroke. Check warranty coverage.

When you go to pick up your boat, make sure it is EXACTLY what you ordered. If not, tell them they get to make the payments until it is.

4 people and gear is too much for a 2006 115 HP Alaskan 17. Sticker says 4 people/600 pounds I believe.

Thumbs up Alaskan

I have the 20' Alaskan a 1994 model with the V6 105 Eve.....sure is a sweet boat.
    Alaska

Default Your 105...

Your 105 HP, is that a 150 HP power head, that the mfg is calling a 105 Jet?

Do you feel it is enough power for hauling #_____ people and ____ lbs. of gear?

Thumbs up 105 jet

Yes it is, a true 105 Jet w/power Trim......150HP with a prop.

More than enough power, I would like to a newer motor, they suppose to easier on gas today, but that V6 sure is a good motor. Once I got trim plate the length I wanted it.

I have hauled 150 gal of fuel and all the camping gear for two, with no problem

Even have a 9.9 Mer Kicker with a Rock hopper guard on it.....nice setup!
    Alaska

Im also looking at the 20 footer w/ an outboard. My question are any of you running heaters in your cabs if so what kind. I would rather get the outboard but my wife wants the inboard because of the heater. Any help would be great.
    Thanks

Default Heater

I have a 23' canvas top aluminum boat with an outboard and use a Big Buddy Heater now. Takes the edge off, but doesn't do much for keeping the fog off the windows if its' raining or snowing out. Too much humidity put in the air from the combustion of the propane. Webasto makes a unit called an Air Top that burns diesel, has external exhaust and the ability to plumg ducting to it for defroster vents. Kinda spendy at about $2K, but we use the Webasto products where I work and they are top shelf stuff. Another option is Zodi. They have a propane fired unit that has ducting that is meant to run inside a tent while the burner unit stays outside. This also would keep the air dry as the combustion gasses are expelled outside, thereby keeping the moisture out also. They're alot cheaper (I think around $200), but more temporary in my opinion.

Thumbs down No heater

Sorry I don't run a heater.
    Alaska

Mike,

Did you end up with a Suzuki on your boat?
    How do you like it?

Default E-tec Load Test in a Wooldridge 20' Alaskan II

Here is a Load test with a Wooldridge 20' Alaskan II with a 158cu in 200hp E-Tec. They were able to plane with 2,900 lbs. and do 31 mph on the GPS in the lake, they said it would do more in the river with some current and shallows to help out. I know the Suzuki 140 can run the 200hp impeller since it has the gear reduction, the 115 uses the 140 impeller. When I was down there last week the had just tested the new 90hp honda on a 17ft Alaskan it ran great 200 rpm more and had better throttle response than the old one as well as lighter weight.

Thumbs up Both great boats

I run the 16 wooldridge with a 2006 115 4-stroke EFI Yamaha and couldn't be happier. My buddy has the Alaskan II with a Yamaha 150 and that is an awsome boat as well. The 20 ft. Alaskan II goes about the same as far as speed but with the additional width and length it can carry a lot bigger load. The one thing that I love about wooldridge is that they can go in VERY shallow water...and that fact that they are very strong boats is great too. If I had the money I would go with the 20 hands down.

What type of price are we talking about for the 20 foot Alaskan II new on a trailer with a 150-200 hp (measured with a prop) outboard jet?
    Tennessee

Default Price from the 2007 Boat Show

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    What type of price are we talking about for the 20 foot Alaskan II new on a trailer with a 150-200 hp (measured with a prop) outboard jet?
    Randy
    I think there was one at the Northway Mall that was around $33,500.00 w/ 140 Suzuki on it, top and 3 foot bench seats.

Yea, I went and looked at it yesterday. Sort of tire kicking the idea right now and if I buy I will probably do it in the fall. But the prices at the Boat show do give me something to compare against to see if the dealer actually drops the price prior to winter. Six months of mentioning it to the wife will soften her stance on the purchase
    Thank you.
    Tennessee

Do any of you owners feel concerned that the bottom on these boats is only 1/8th of an inch?
    Tennessee

Remember that these boats are not generally operated in big rock conditions like the ones in WA. The engine weight also makes it easier for the boat to slide over. I have had my boat stuck/stopped a few times. It has never been by a rock. Usually sand or duck mud. Some sloughs even have the rocks marked with orange flags. Be careful if you go way back on Tyone there are some huge rocks there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast