Thread: costum actions

Default costum actions

I was watching a expedition safari on the outdoors channel. The hunter had a rifle that had oblong holes drilled out on the action oposite of where the shell ejects. When he opened the action you could see all the way through. Anybody seen this or know who is doing it. Thats the first time ive seen it and my first thought was dose it make it weaker. I bet you could save some weight but i sure dosnt look correct. Hillbilly

Default I have seen a couple of them

I have handled a couple of those custom rifles, though the name of the company who does the escapes me right now. I guess they are still stong enough or the guy would have been sued out of business long ago, although I presume all those holes are like an open door for dirt and crud.

hap

Kampfield Kustom is likely the custom guns you saw. They get a few ounces off the action weight. They are plenty strong as the weight is removed form non-critical areas.

Many other smiths have different patterns of cutting and hollow some on the underside of the action below the stock line. Without cutting all the way through it makes the hollow area invisible.
    art

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    I was watching a expedition safari on the outdoors channel. The hunter had a rifle that had oblong holes drilled out on the action oposite of where the shell ejects. When he opened the action you could see all the way through. Anybody seen this or know who is doing it. Thats the first time ive seen it and my first thought was dose it make it weaker. I bet you could save some weight but i sure dosnt look correct. Hillbilly
    It's not uncommon to see actions lightened in this manner. Perhaps one of the best and earliest smiths to perform this kind of modification is Kerry O'Day. I met him at an NRA show years ago and Match Grade Arms is a well-known high quality company. The lightened receivers are easy to spot, but the paint schemes for their stocks is a dead give away whether it was a MG or not. I have similar reservations to The Kid, but their rifles are used by hunters all over the world.

http://www.mgarmsinc.com/ultra.htm