Thread: squirrel hunting with dogs?

Default squirrel hunting with dogs?

do yall squirrel hunt with dogs?i hunt mt curs,a rat terier.its a blast.

Every time we see a squirrel come down into the yard to work over the pickins under the bird feeder, we need only mutter the word, "squirrel" and the rat terrier mix is on full alert and heading to the back door. Break the seal on the door just enough for her to get out and she's off like a bolt of lightning. At least a half dozen times, she has gotten a nip of squirrel tail before he can make it to the nearest tree.

But to answer your question, no. I don't hunt squirrels (if I don't eat it, I don't kill it, and there's nothing about a squirrel that needs to be eaten when you have things like salmon and moose in the freezer).
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

there is a HUGE difference in our squirrles over the ones from the south there mountainboy, the ones here are tiny compaired to those from the state.. and they taste like spruce..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default I kill them but don't eat them.

Squirrels=target practice.
    They have eaten holes in my garbage can lids and nested in my shed, so I have no use for the beasts. They are dead on sight. The only good squirrel is a dead squirrel on my property.

Default yall taken the fun out.

i eat um make dumplins.but have more fun watchen nlistenin to the dogs run an tree.the best satisfaction i ever had was taken a pup an watch him learn n progress an that time he clicks an does his thing .man o man love it .then for me its fun from then out but not near as fun as the first good tree your dog does..guees im weird .

Default hunting w/dogs

we used to run a few Fiest squirrel dogs down in Louisiana but the squirrels here taste absolutely awful and are way too TINY!

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

I haven't seen anyone use dogs for squirrels in years. I know what you mean about listening to the dogs tree. Almost as musical as listening to coon dogs on the chase at two in the morning.

The only squirrels I've seen in Alaska were tiny, maybe nine or ten inches long from nose to the tip of the tail. No where near as big or plentiful as gray squirrel, let alone the fox or reds. I doubt there would be enough meat on an Alaskan squirrel to make a sandwich.

Although, when you find a cutting log or limb you'd think the squirrels were huge from the piles of pine cone shavings, until you seen them.

The squirrels we have here in AK are red squirrels. They weigh in at 6-9oz. They are very prolific. I have taken as many as 50+ a year out of the same 1-2 acre parcel for about 10 years with no fall off in the population. I do use my dogs to tree/track/recover squirrels. Here are a couple pics of my small game hunting hunting dogs: 1st: Male w/ a couple BB'd tree rats. 2nd: Female front, male back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Couple more pics: 1st: female pup at 4 months w/ tree rat. 2nd: male hare hunting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bunny hunting with a little dog wearing a sweater... priceless!!!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Bunny hunting with a little dog wearing a sweater... priceless!!!
    They go down into the holes after the hares. The sweater helps keep them a little drier and easier to see when really covered in snow. Besides, it is pretty cold some days. Even 20lb bunny-trashing savages like these get cold after a couple hours of being wet in single digit temps. I don't put booties on them though! Pretty game little dogs.