Thread: Decoy Paint

Default Decoy Paint

Alright, I purchased and hunted over some used teal dekes this summer to add into my spread. Over the summer I want to paint them to get them into better shape. Does anybody know of a good teal paint kit, or other paints that look real good on painted dekes. I'm gonna be hunting over these birds in the lower 48 so I need them to have their full plummaged colors as well.

Thanks

Jansen and Golden Acrylics are the best there is. Check out Lock Stock and Barrells website. Lou Tisch will hook you up with the right colors and these paints are the most durable.

Default Herters

I repainted all my decoys in Iowa with herters about 12 years ago and they still look great. They are used every weekend +. they hard thing is getting it up here. Dont buy the stuff at sportsmans, it is good paint but the colors are way off. It took me hrs. of mixing to get them right. Whatever paint you use stick them all in a bag and roll it around a bit it will dull them up and make them great. Ryan

Did you paint any GWT decoys or blue wings, or were they just mallards

in iowa I painted all puddle ducks, and the one from sportsmans i did mallards goldeneyes, hen buffleheads, old squaws, and even harlequins with a little more mixing. the only paint kits I ever buy are mallard paints and they seem to have extra colors that are great for other ducks. like I said the paint from sportsmans is fine and cheep but dont go by the color map and you will have to mix them to get good colors but the final colors will work for most everything. Ryan

Tru value spray paint worked for me
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Tru value spray paint worked for me
    and for my scoters it worked for me too. Yours were great

Check Cabela's for the waterfowl paint sets. I've used them and they work very well and are durable. Mack's Prairre WIngs would be another good place to look.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com