Thread: Sometimes, all you can do is shake your head....

Default Sometimes, all you can do is shake your head....

So I have been going out predator calling every weekend for about the last month and a half. I have yet to call in anything other than hawks and ravens. I am not a novice at calling, I have called in fox and coyotes before, just not in Alaska.

Recently, I decided to eliminate one of the variables and I bought a Foxpro E-caller. Well, still no luck. I have put on some serious miles, tried many places both day and night. Still nothing, that is until today.

Today, I was sitting in my house, playing around with the caller. Figuring out exactly what I can do with it. I had set it down not 5 minutes before my wife had walked in the door and she had some news.......There's a FOX IN OUR YARD!!!!!!! Coincidence, maybe. Rabid, could be. No matter what, all I can do is shake my head.

By the way, did I mention I live in town?

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Ryan,
    I feel your pain. Predator calling in AK is very hard. Where I am from you can go out and just drive around and see 10 coyotes easily in a day.

If you got serious about it and went out calling, well lets just say it was a blast!!!!!

Since I have moved up here I have really cut back on my calling trips. I'd rather fly back home for a week and go calling. I can see more coyotes in a week back home than living up here for years....

Keep at it, your bound to call something in....outside of town.

Default Good job.

Don't feel bad. I had two straight years of zero animals killed, except for a Lynx that I called but couldn't shoot due to season being closed. All I can say is stick with it. You'll find things that work and find some areas that hold animals that'll respond. I never called in the lower 48, so I have no idea what "easy" calling is all about. I might have to take a trip one of these days just to see what it's like.

Yep calling in productive country down south is WAY different. I'm headed down south next month to do some calling which has become an annual event for me. Worth the trip every time.

Default Bunnies

I found that I can go out and just call, call and call.. and wont see a dang thing.. But if I go to an area that I bunny hunt in.. WAY off the road system.. I can call in several animals in every time.. The predators are where the food source is.. Sort of like the Wolves.. More times then not.. if you find wintering caribou.. Wolves will be near by... Coyotes as well.. Where I see coyote tracks... I dont see any sign of fox.. I think the coyotes attack and eat the fox.. and where I find LOADS of bunny sign, and I mean a crap load of tracks, chew marks, droppings, pee stains, trails beaten down by them.. then I see lynx sign and call them in frequently..

I use a fox pro also

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I found that I can go out and just call, call and call.. and wont see a dang thing.. But if I go to an area that I bunny hunt in.. WAY off the road system.. I can call in several animals in every time.. The predators are where the food source is.. Sort of like the Wolves.. More times then not.. if you find wintering caribou.. Wolves will be near by... Coyotes as well.. Where I see coyote tracks... I dont see any sign of fox.. I think the coyotes attack and eat the fox.. and where I find LOADS of bunny sign, and I mean a crap load of tracks, chew marks, droppings, pee stains, trails beaten down by them.. then I see lynx sign and call them in frequently..

I use a fox pro also
    Very good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post

I use a fox pro also

Hopefully down the road I will have the ability to get way off the road system this late in the year. For now though, I am just trying to get out. Kind of twofold, exploring new areas and trying to get a predator to come in. I have been concentrating on the bunny areas because what I really want is a lynx, but lately been hitting areas that look good for coyote or fox as well.
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Default Dont overcall.

I also noticed that when i get into a area, that I have snowmachined in, or rode the quad in.. I stop short.. 2-300 meters short of where I am actually going to call from.. Check the wind.. and walk slowly and quietly in.. Drop the call, walk further and when I start it. it is uaually very quiet.. then increase the volume.. little by little.. I call for 3-4 minutes and then stop.. wait 5-10 and then again.. Quietly.. On quiet days, the sound travels pretty far. probably a mile or so away a predator will hear it.. When i spot em moving in the brush, I hit Mute.. when the animals holds up, I continue.. etc.. I never really BLAST it.. then again my sets are roughly 1/2 mile apart and cover 3-4 miles in the legth of a trail.. So in about 4-5 hours, you can easlily cover 16-20 square miles..Here shortly the fox and coyotes will be paring up.. as mating season approaches.. I will then use invitation calls on the dogs and they will come in pretty quick.. Feb-March are the best months to call, unless your looking for cats.. that season will be closed come the end of Feb..

Default Interesting

Hoytguy,
    That's interesting about the Coyote vocals. I've never had luck with them in the interior. The one time I had a response, wolves howled back and then neither showed up. Are there wolves near where you use the vocals? The two Coyotes I got last weekend were called using constant Snowshoe Hare distress at 1/2 to 3/4 volume. 8 minutes for one to show up and 2 minutes for the other (at different stands). They're unpredictable though and what works one day might not (probably will not) work the next it seems. Variety seems to be the spice of predators up here.

Good posts......agreed....always start quiet and work up in volume in a new stand.

Snowcamoman, in about 2 weeks start ending your screaming prey calls with a coyote vocalization. Meaning, when you are done with a dying rabbit or whatever and are ready to move to a new stand, rather than get up and leave, try starting a female coyote call, delay, again, delay and then a challenge howl. By the end of February and all through March you will likely be getting regular talk back from coyotes that you never knew were there because they didn't come into your rabbit call. I always get much more chatter from coyotes in a season that I never see than I get coming into a dying prey call. W/o this talk back I would be leaving the stand w/o ever knowing they were right there and so close. Try it, it will keep your spirits up having a few dogs light up the airwaves in the distance when you think you are wasting your time calling in nada. It's fun talking to coyotes.....and wolves.

Default Vocals

Oats,
    Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot. I've tried ending my stands before with some Female Coyote Howls and then a Male Challenge, but haven't heard a peep. I'll keep trying later next month though and let you all know if I pick up any extra critters or if I get some talkers. Good calling to ya'll, Full moon this weekend..Hunt hard and post some pics. I'll do the same.

Thanks for all the good info guys! I will have to try your suggestions. This weekend though, I think I will have to take a break from calling, my check card is starting to have an allergic reaction at the gas pumps, appearently some sort of friction rash.

Ryan

I feel your pain. I have been going out calling and not at thing has come in. Now about every few days I have a nice red fox that comes to back yard fence to heckle my dog.
    I really want to take my 17 and test it out on him but I think the neighbors would not appreciate it.

Yeah, it gets pricey driving around, especially how far I go sometimes to call animals. It's almost worth getting a old reliable 4 cylinder truck to run around calling in. It'd probably pay for itself in a few years. Good luck to ya'll out there heading out this week.

"Time"

How much time are ya giving it and how long are ya calling?

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    "Time"

How much time are ya giving it and how long are ya calling?

It has varied. I started out hiking in a half hour or so, calling for 20. Then I tried 10 min stands, just inside the woods. Lately, I have been doing longer stands, 45 minutes of snowshoe call, then 10 to 20 minutes of coyote howler.

I am starting to think furbearers migrate South for the winter.

Ryan