Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inboard jets and fuel consumption

Default Inboard jets and fuel consumption

Am kicking around selling my present boat and moving into either a 23 or 25 Sport Drifter with a 6 liter 385 hp inboard jet. I would also not rule out going to the 8.1 motor if more power was needed for the loads we would carry.

For comparisons sake the boat will be fully fueled and then have an additional 4,000 pounds of gear and extra fuel on board including 2-3 people.

Anyone here have any information on the amount of fuel this rig would burn and the speeds involved? Mainly would be using this boat to run up and down the Yukon and Koyukuk.
    Tennessee

Thumbs up Inboard Boats

Talk to Sport Drifter. He has owned a couple of these boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard AK Res View Post
    Talk to Sport Drifter. He has owned a couple of these boats.
    Randy I agree with Richard, Sport Drifter is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to Woolys and engines. He has been playing in this field for a long time and has experience on most rivers including the Yukon.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

With his 496 EFI I think he burns around 13 gph on average. I believe this is what he told me.

Default GPH

When I run to my cabin with a full load of gas 4 guys and gear for 3 days it's a 160 mile RT. I have a 4.0 impeller and the Kodiak 390hp 496 we cruise at 3200 95% of the time and burn 9.5 to 10gph on average. I have seen less on a fishing, trip only 2 guys and just gear for the day only 50 gal of fuel onboard it was 9 or so. I only ran it 3000 or under for the 80 mile RT.
    When we go to PWS and run out to Main Bay and do some playing arround it comes out to 10gph. I am sure there are others that burn more it all depends on how each driver likes to run his boat and when and where they may go, on a Koyukuk trip I know I would burn 12 to 16 when loaded heavy. It all would depend on how much gas you had onboard, I would have 400gal or so to go to the Dulbi. I do have several friends with the 6.0 and the 3.4 impeller and all are Wooldridge Classic or Sport Drifter hulls 22-25ft and they all like them and get 8 or so I believe.

I may forget the idea of an inboard jet and stay with an outboard and prop if I get a larger boat!
    One of the guys I been emailing to has a 25 SD with the 6 liter motor and 212 pump. He said he had to stay around 30 mph to keep fuel consumption at a reasonable level as well as burning 20 gallons an hour when he topped off the fuel drums. Granted, he said they have 500 gallons of gas on deck but still the numbers are higher than I would like.
    Add in the fact we run at least 5 mph faster.
    Was hoping not to burn more than 13 gallons per hour fully loaded with 350 gallons of gas on deck plus 2-3 people and all the gear because presently this is the worst economy my Opti gets and that is going up river. Have lots of time to think this through as one boat has to be sold before the other can be ordered but am now leaning towards a 25 Sport Drifter with a 250 outboard and avoid the dog house all together.
    Tennessee

Default Apples to Oranges...

The inboard jet will get your cargo places that the prop will not at the expense of some fuel. All depends on where you'll be going. I run interior rivers and make a run up the Nowitna every year, so the outboard prop isn't even on the table and the 212 is the obvious choice.

Never been to the Koyukuk, sounds like a deeper river to be able to run a prop up it a ways?

Pretty easy to run the Koyukuk. Everyone in our group runs a prop. Not many rocks, mostly mud/sand. Average getting stuck once or twice but so far they been easy to get unstuck. Made the run two years in a row on the same SS prop although this spring it needs to go in to be "fixed".
    98% of the boaters heading up this direction do not need a jet, they want a jet. Three day slough is a different matter altogether.
    Don't need the jet, but it could offer a few advantages. Negatives for the inboard jet is losing all the storage space to the dog house and the extra fuel burned. Time will tell as to which way I go. But first the 23 foot Alaskan needs to be sold.
    Tennessee

If you go with the "Fishing Machine" option, the motor is in the middle of the deck, 2' forward. This uses up a ton of space. With the motor back up against the transom (old style) part of the motor is tucked into the transom, using less space. I went with the motor back due to needing the space such as you do.

The doghouse on the 6.0 isn't all that big...smaller than I thought actually. I'm sure if you called Wooldridge they'd be able to give you exact dimensions. The space you're saving on deck with the OB you'll be sacraficing on the swimdeck. With an outboard I don't think you'll be able to haul fuel drums on the swimdeck, you'll have to haul them inside the boat. So for long trips such as the Novi/Koyukuk, the space issue appears to be a wash.

Don't forget another advantage to the inboard...a heater...one that doesn't burn stinky diesel fuel...

I went through all of this when deciding on my boat...I don't envy you one bit! (Although it is a little fun...)

Have a great weekend...TGIF!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellamar View Post
    If you go with the "Fishing Machine" option, the motor is in the middle of the deck, 2' forward. This uses up a ton of space. With the motor back up against the transom (old style) part of the motor is tucked into the transom, using less space. I went with the motor back due to needing the space such as you do.

The doghouse on the 6.0 isn't all that big...smaller than I thought actually. I'm sure if you called Wooldridge they'd be able to give you exact dimensions. The space you're saving on deck with the OB you'll be sacraficing on the swimdeck. With an outboard I don't think you'll be able to haul fuel drums on the swimdeck, you'll have to haul them inside the boat. So for long trips such as the Novi/Koyukuk, the space issue appears to be a wash.

Don't forget another advantage to the inboard...a heater...one that doesn't burn stinky diesel fuel...

I went through all of this when deciding on my boat...I don't envy you one bit! (Although it is a little fun...)

Have a great weekend...TGIF!

Good tip. I was thinking if the motor was moved forward it would give you more interior room.
    But with the motor the entire way back and fuel being stored on the swim step do you need trim tabs to get the boat to run level?
    Tennessee

The 6.0 is the next improvement I will make to the old tub - just Need $$$$ - I currently have a ford 351 and have run both the Nowitna and Koyukuk numerous times. Mades several trips with 2nd boat - Wooly with a 350 chevy. The mileage is poor in both - Normally 1.5 to 3 miles per gallon depending on the load - with the heavy additions to the boat and carrying more gear over the years the mileage gets worse. - Time for more HP and a bigger jet.

Personally I encourage everyone to get the outboard props for those moose hunting trips as it slightly increase my odds of hunting alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Was hoping not to burn more than 13 gallons per hour fully loaded with 350 gallons of gas on deck plus 2-3 people and all the gear because presently this is the worst economy my Opti gets and that is going up river.
    Have you considered a diesel?
    You will have a bit more money in the motor & a pump that can handle a diesel. Chances are good you would not wear out a good diesel in your life time.
    In the right boat you could, I think get or come close to the numbers you are wanting.
    Tom owner of http://www.precisionweldboats.com/ does more diesel jets than any one I know. He has helped me with several projects I was working on when I had problems.

Tom Maxfield is very good people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Good tip. I was thinking if the motor was moved forward it would give you more interior room.
    But with the motor the entire way back and fuel being stored on the swim step do you need trim tabs to get the boat to run level?
    On the Wooldridge site there are some good pics of both options. I initially thought the same as you until I took some measurements of some friend's boats with both options. The Fishing Machine option would be great for just that...fishing as you can walk around/behind the dogbox. But the Motor back has less of a footprint.

When drums are full we don't load the swimstep with them, maybe 1 and offset that with weight forward in the bow. One the way home when drums are empty, as many as possible go on the swimstep to make room for the moose. On the Wooly website there's a great picture of my friend's boat on his way home up the Yukon. Swimstep loaded with empty drums, moose quarters onboard and a wolf in the bow.

Empty drums are a non issue as we burn them up once we hit camp. We just keep enough to refuel at Galena on the way back. Finally found a source for some free 55 gallon clear barrels and as most of you realize, floor space is more important than empty drums, especially when you are climbing over a couple of moose. But the swim step would be a great idea for light bulky items.

Doubt a diesel would be a good choice as I am not aware of anyone along the river selling it who has a nozzle and hose down to the water.

Raven, Am sure a jet would open up new areas but unless everyone in our group had one we would still be limited to where the other props can go. Still, it would be nice to have that option to go exploring sloughs and the heater would be wonderful. Options are open at this point and I'll keep exploring. Thanks for the tips.
    Tennessee

Can't you get soft fuel bladders that roll up when empty?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Can't you get soft fuel bladders that roll up when empty?
    They do, but they have a huge foot print and are expensive, which is something to consider when hauling 300-500 gallons of extra fuel. The poly drums take up a fraction of the space and can be had for free.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have the 8.1 420HP version coupled to a 212 and 4.0 impellor and even with with a large load I only burn 10-11 Gph. Its nice to have the extra ponies when you need them. Theres no load to big for the boat with this motor and impellor.I always amazed at what I can haul effortlessly. In a 24-25' boat fully loaded I think the smaller engines have to work alot harder and use more fuel. For what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Mirage View Post
    I have the 8.1 420HP version coupled to a 212 and 4.0 impellor and even with with a large load I only burn 10-11 Gph. Its nice to have the extra ponies when you need them. Theres no load to big for the boat with this motor and impellor.I always amazed at what I can haul effortlessly. In a 24-25' boat fully loaded I think the smaller engines have to work alot harder and use more fuel. For what its worth.

How long is your boat and what would you think your burn rates would be running up a river like the Yukon with about 4,500 pounds of gear, people, and fuel on board? what speeds would you run?
    Tennessee

My boats 24 on the water line. I know I have had 3500lbs in it and used 10-12 on average. I have some buddys that have this same set up in 24 Riddle and he gets the same burn rate. Once on step it only takes 3100-3200 to stay there. 2900 going down river.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Mirage View Post
    My boats 24 on the water line. I know I have had 3500lbs in it and used 10-12 on average. I have some buddys that have this same set up in 24 Riddle and he gets the same burn rate. Once on step it only takes 3100-3200 to stay there. 2900 going down river.
    What is the average speed you are traveling at burning those gallons per hour?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast